Did Morrissey lie to sell more tickets?

Re:

NOOOOOOOOO!
That post has made me sick!!! :sick:
Don't diss Johnny Marr's f***ing brilliant jangly guitar riffs!
How can you rate some crappy power chords over the amazing riff????
HOWWWWW?

He likes Black Sabbath, Rush etc.

I think it's fair to say that he's been a little bit naughty.
In recent tours, he's done a similar thing by announcing seemingly one-off dates, waiting for them to sell out, then announce a whole host more. This is the first time he's actually stated that the first batch of dates would be the only ones, and then gone back on his word.
But I understand why he did it. He planned for this tour when his stock was at an all-time low. A string of his worst ever chart positions (for singles and albums), following on from his (arguably) disastrous 2009 tour, and his first public appearance since the PR disaster of subspecies-gate. I expect he was more worried than he'd ever been before, hence the announcement about the only UK dates.
It is a bit naughty but, having said that, I'm glad the tour's gone (relatively) well and he's adding some London dates.

Here are some quotes from True to You:

March 8th:
The Cheltenham date will now not take place, and once a substitute venue has been found then these shall constitute the only Morrissey concerts in the UK for this year.

April 14th:
Morrissey will play the Glastonbury Festival on Friday, 24 June.

May 7th:
Morrissey will play the following UK concerts:
Tuesday 5 July STOKE Victoria Hall
Thursday 7 July LEEDS Academy
Friday 8 July MIDDLESBROUGH Town Hall

July 4th:
Morrissey will play Brixton Academy in London on August 7th, and the London Palladium on August 8th. Support will be Kristeen Young.

Do you think he changed his mind or do you think he did this on purpose to create the illusion that seeing him would be quite difficult?

Regarding "This Charming Man" ... it's how he wants to play it now ... it is what say The Stooges might have done with it. The original is beautiful for its delicacy and the current version is more like an announcement 'Here I am, you mothers', a real statement of intent. A couple of years ago he was opening with it ... and it never failed to set the place alight. The two versions can live each other, I think. Who knows he might one day unleash the "This Charming Man - New York Vocal Mix" on us.
Regarding concerts .... all bands are adding dates in the festival season. He has an entourage to pay. With the tour creeping into August, it makes total economic sense to do that ... that's fair enough. It is tough if you have bought expensive tickets on ebay but it was always on the cards that dates would be added. I imagine the Polish, Irish and Austrian gigs came into place and the opportunity arose to do the London gigs. Better he keeps playing, surely?

He gave me twenty years of comfort and joy. But an asshole is an asshole, and these days Morrissey is an asshole.

This is a Morrissey forum...i.e. a place to discuss Morrissey. Not blindly suck him off. I'm here because I enjoy sharing my thoughts and I enjoy reading the thoughts of others, and bantering back and forth accordingly.

That OK with you?

Morrissey is an asshole?

What an understatement!

Some idiot compared Morrissey with Wilde (that´s Oscar for you unliterary Moz-heavy-metal-lovers).

False! Wilde was a genuis. Morrissey is a nazi. Not exactly the same.

Back
Top Bottom