Disasterpieces

• Thread starter Deleted member 29227
  • Start date
Yep me too. In fact I've always said it's my favourite song of all time.
The last minute or so of yodeling is just heavenly, and the rest ain't bad either!

I've always seen the yodelling as Moz' way of giving in to the melody and letting it take over. It's sublime.

Oh it's a terrible dirge...I've not made sense of its meaning, but I'm sticking with it for a short while.
I didn't purchase the LIHS deluxe either as I'd have preferred it on CD but I did download the four new tracks individually from Amazon (three originals plus Chain Gang). Never Again Will I Be A Twin struck me as very different and I was delighted to see Moz add it to the live set, great track. Lover-To-Be is very playful with hilarious lyrics. This Song Doesn't End When It's Over for me sounds like Moz is saying his songs seep into the conscious instead of in one ear and out the other. I find it an ok song and feel it's probably not been listened to much and somewhat disregarded unfairly, b-side standard.

It's horses for courses though Gregor...I like both LIHS & WPINOYB.

However, on LIHS (I don't have the dlx version) I'm not keen on these tracks:
I Bury the Living
All the Young People Must Fall in Love

On WP I'm not keen on these tracks (below), but to me, the rest is superb, more so the last 5 tracks which are stellar:
Neal Cassady Drops Dead
Mountjoy

But, in the case of both albums, if I'm playing the album all the way through, these non-favourites sort of just 'go' and 'fit' & it's strange that I then sort of like them. If I select just a single track in isolation, I Bury The Living, for example, I'm really not keen, but in the context of the album, it goes well. Maybe this is part of the skill which Chiccarelli brings.
Yeah, I see what you mean. And generally I’d maybe agree with you, but in these cases (WP and LIHS), I just can’t. The songs from those albums that I consider bad are in my opinion VERY bad, and not even the album format can do them justice. They shouldn’t be anywhere near a Morrissey album.

Yeah, I see what you mean. And generally I’d maybe agree with you, but in these cases (WP and LIHS), I just can’t. The songs from those albums that I consider bad are in my opinion VERY bad, and not even the album format can do them justice. They shouldn’t be anywhere near a Morrissey album.
You should try force-feeding on these 2 albums until you come to the right conclusion. You have a mental block which needs clearing ;)

You should try force-feeding on these 2 albums until you come to the right conclusion. You have a mental block which needs clearing ;)
Ha! Hardly. These songs are not very good. If you believe that they are good enough, then what does that say about your opinion on Moz? Songs like Neal C, WPINOYB and The Girl from...are so far beneath him and his true potential and talent that it’s sad. We who have known and loved his music for decades know what magic he is capable of, and criticizing some of his efforts when they’re subpar doesn’t make you any less of a fan. Some fans here seem to think that, and therefore praise everything he’s ever done. And some (lunatics) hate every breath he takes.

Last edited:
For what it's worth, my nominations, without being harsh, & remaining respectful to Moz, my personal list would maybe look like this:

1. This Song Doesn't End When It's Over
  2. People Are The Same Everywhere
  3. All The Young People Must Fall in Love
  4. Neal Cassady Drops Dead
  5. At Last I Am Born
  6. I Bury The Living
but sometimes if you listen in context to the whole album, they are better than if heard in isolation.

Edit: I've removed One day from this. What was I thinking?
I love most of the sings on this list. LOL

Wow, the music of BWTT irritates you? That song is solid gold, I could play it all day.
I can't count how many times I was confronted with complete disbelief or even hateful comments after making this statement. I can't help it. I know that it's actually a good song, but the guitar drives me mad.

It's my least favourite Smiths song (not counting the covers). It's okay to hear it when listening to The Queen Is Dead in its entirety, but otherwise I avoid listening to it
I don't hate it, I just get annoyed by it.

Back
Top Bottom