Do Morrissey's political/social views make it difficult to enjoy the music?

No mostly because I think he's more in the middle, maybe the extreme middle, than people want to admit. There's also a lot of assumption about some topics and I don't doubt that for some issues that morrissey has a long drawn out idea or explanation that would take an actual conversation to understand. As to his writing style I do think him more cynical and maybe the court case hastened this change but there's probably also factors we just don't know about or see (like any real person). He seems a lot more hardened and less vulnerable than in the past for sure. I sometimes wonder if he's somewhat embarrassed now about some the more flowery puffy images lyrics and songs he used to be known for

No mostly because I think he's more in the middle, maybe the extreme middle, than people want to admit. There's also a lot of assumption about some topics and I don't doubt that for some issues that morrissey has a long drawn out idea or explanation that would take an actual conversation to understand. As to his writing style I do think him more cynical and maybe the court case hastened this change but there's probably also factors we just don't know about or see (like any real person). He seems a lot more hardened and less vulnerable than in the past for sure. I sometimes wonder if he's somewhat embarrassed now about some the more flowery puffy images lyrics and songs he used to be known for

I think that since he came out as a Humasexual, he's very uncomfortable with all the past stuff where he purloined gay, f*****y imagery as it made out he is a cocksucker like what Kristeen Young said he was onstage before he sacked her in a hissy fit. I don't think he likes being called a fat puff or an old tart. He's a Humasexual. I guess he's angry because everyone just LOLs at that and thinks he's a puff with 'puffy images lyrics and songs' like wot he's always had.

I think that since he came out as a Humasexual, he's very uncomfortable with all the past stuff where he purloined gay, f*****y imagery as it made out he is a cocksucker like what Kristeen Young said he was onstage before he sacked her in a hissy fit. I don't think he likes being called a fat puff or an old tart. He's a Humasexual. I guess he's angry because everyone just LOLs at that and thinks he's a puff with 'puffy images lyrics and songs' like wot he's always had.

Are there any moderators on here?

Are there any moderators on here?

tenor.gif

There's a huge difference between being an agent provocateur & being a gross troll. His earlier lyrics played with 'dangerous' lyrical topics but in a way that allowed interpretation. His latest words just seems gratuitously provocative, having no purpose beyond igniting a reaction. I doubt he believes half the stuff he flirts with.

I also think he's become increasingly bitter and angry as he ages and realised the only reason he hasn't become a major star is because people regard him as a C List talent with a penchant for trolling. The lyrics to the latest songs just seem like random diary entries of a confused, drifting middle-aged misanthrope who is lost in absurd conspiracy theories. I've concluded the only reason he carries on is because he lacks the guts to face failure and stop. He doesn't seem to be remotely inspired by his music or words, just using them as a vehicle to vent his spleen at a world that either ignores him or mocks him.

I've concluded the only reason he carries on is because he lacks the guts to face failure

No, he hates tai chi.

Here is a quote showing Morrissey's support for renowned racist extremist Bernie Sanders:
"therefore a sad day looms in November - a day that only Bernie Sanders could have saved - had he been allowed his rightful share of media support."

Last edited:
The reason I once loved Morrissey was that he was political when few others in the industry dared to be. But it has always been hard to pinpoint his exact views and he always used to leave you guessing. Back then he seemed to know what his views were but nowadays he only opts for whatever is controversial.

Todays political world makes it hard to enjoy anything. Divide and conquer is the agenda running the world at the moment. I dunno about other countries but in Sweden the political debate has split up families and people who used to be friends with one another are not on speaking terms anymore.

A host of famous swedes have claimed that they stopped being friends with a number of people cause of differing political views.

Here is a quote showing Morrissey's support for renowned racist extremist Bernie Sanders:
"therefore a sad day looms in November - a day that only Bernie Sanders could have saved - had he been allowed his rightful share of media support."

Winnie Wong thanks you for your contribution to his campaign.

The key event that happened in 1997 was the move to America, and whether through adaption of a more blunt 'American' attitude, artistic choice, age or otherwise you are correct to identify (as, indeed, many have) a change in writing style from Quarry onwards...

That is not to write off all the American years as of no quality. There is at least one song on every album since Maladjusted, say Home Is A Question Mark to offer a recent example, where the tact and beauty of the earlier lyricism is successfully maintained in an older and matured era. But particularly with his social and political songs, the replacement of humour and wit with bluntness and vitriol has, as one would expect, resulted in a subsequent decline in quality. Compare the title tracks of The Queen Is Dead to World Peace Is None of Your Business and you'll get the picture.

This, 100%. When Morrissey moved to LA, he adopted the American language wholesale - he doesn't even spell in British English anymore - and at the same time a certain bluntness, lack of nuance and lack of wit came into his lyrics. I think a couple of things happened in those wilderness years - firstly he stopped being seeped in the nostalgic stew of British culture (even if it was largely harkening back to some imagined past England, that possibly never existed outside of his head and a few old movies) - secondly, he realised he now had to cultivate a global audience to survive. Now, he is singing to Mexicans, South Americans, and various other people to whom English is a second language - the result is lyrics as blunt and witless as "Brazil and Bahrain/ oh Egypt, Ukraine/ so many people in pain". He's broadened his appeal, he is a worldwide artist - but the decline in lyrical quality is also bound up in this.

This, 100%. When Morrissey moved to LA, he adopted the American language wholesale - he doesn't even spell in British English anymore - and at the same time a certain bluntness, lack of nuance and lack of wit came into his lyrics. I think a couple of things happened in those wilderness years - firstly he stopped being seeped in the nostalgic stew of British culture (even if it was largely harkening back to some imagined past England, that possibly never existed outside of his head and a few old movies) - secondly, he realised he now had to cultivate a global audience to survive. Now, he is singing to Mexicans, South Americans, and various other people to whom English is a second language - the result is lyrics as blunt and witless as "Brazil and Bahrain/ oh Egypt, Ukraine/ so many people in pain". He's broadened his appeal, he is a worldwide artist - but the decline in lyrical quality is also bound up in this.

He never had an accent and if he ever did he made sure to brush it off and sound very neutral like he had no home at all which is why home is a question mark.

Gosh! Why are you so bitter? :rolleyes:
Are you a humasexual who can't get out of the closet?:rolleyes:
Just kidding:)
Seriously, I'm sorry if you had a bad day,but there's no need to be this vulgar... ""he's very uncomfortable with all the past stuff where he purloined gay, f*****y imagery as it made out he is a cocksucker"""
Just kidding!! I LOVE vulgarity, please carry on

moderators on here,are you mad.iv only seen two posts hidden and one was last week when some f*** said they wanted M to die sooner rather than later.the rule seems to be if a post gets five trolls then it gets hidden,doesnt even get removed.
as for the question,no it doesn't bother me as I'm in it for the music,as long as your over 18 and not committing a crime then you should have the right to say whatever you feel.if morrisseys comments over the last few years have broken any laws then I'm sure the coppers would have had a word.

Sadly, as a massive Moz fan, it is making it more and more difficult to like (love) him. He has written so many beautiful songs in the past and continues to do so, sadly his political views seem to have to worm their way into the majority of songs he has written in recent years. He is welcome to his views, and it's nice to see something other than "lock-jaw pop stars", but it would be nice if he could write both song types without trying to shoehorn political views into songs where they would be best left out.

Recent examples, Spent the Day In Bed, would be so much better with a different chorus, the "not watching the news" message is good, but out of place. On the other hand, All The Young People Must Fall In Love, is mostly a political song and would benefit more from removing the "All the young people..." lyrics. Switch both choruses and they make more sense.

Good art means pushing buttons and boundaries. It is not tailored for the masses. So if these issues are what motivate Mr. Moz these days, I can disagree with the views whilst appreciating the art that comes out.

Back
Top Bottom