Do people reckon that this would make a good 'Best of The Smiths and Morrissey' disc?

Basically a friend of mine is wanting to get to know the music of Morrissey and The Smiths and I was set of strict limit of 22 songs only (11 Smiths and 11 Morrissey), so here is what I produced. However, it may be a bit bias in soem areas. Also on The Smiths section I tried to place the songs in a decent order and not just any old way so here it is. If there are any suggestions as to changes I could make etc. please let me know:D

Life Has Many Strange-Ways

1. Sweet and Tender Hooligan
2. This Charming Man
3. How Soon Is Now
4. Heaven Knows I'm Miserable Now
5. The Boy With the Thorn In His Side
6. Hand In Glove
7. What Difference Does It Make?
8. Reel Around the Fountain
9. Shoplifeters of the World Unite
10. Bigmouth Strikes Again
11. There Is a Light That Never Goes Out
12. Late Night, Maudlin Street
13. Everyday Is Like Sunday
14. Our Frank
15. Sister I'm a Poet
16. Jack the Ripper
17. The National Front Disco
18. The Boy Racer
19. Boxers
20. The Lazy Sunbathers
21. I'm Not Sorry
22. Dear God, Please Help Me

Re: Do people reckon that this would make a good 'Best of The Smiths and Morrissey' d

I think that's pretty good. With Jack Thye Ripper, studio version or live? It would be nice to have a lve track on I think.

Re: Do people reckon that this would make a good 'Best of The Smiths and Morrissey' d

These things are really difficult to do, but you've done a good job. However, I couldn't leave I Won't Share You, Pretty Girls Make Graves, Suffer Little Children, Well I Wonder from the Smiths section. From the Morrissey section I'd have to include How Can Anyone... If I were to compile a list myself, I'd probably change my mind constantly and take forever to finish it. Just go with what you feel is right at the time, if your friend really likes the songs you could make others until they have everything. Nice one :D

Yeh, Jack the Ripper is the llive version taken from MY EARLY BURGLARLY YEARS

I agree I think you've done a good job. However I think I would put Rubber Ring in there. Like the title as well.

I always say don't include too many of the bigger hits with a compilation album. Leave the listener wanting more, so it actually encourages them to go out, buy the CD's etc. rather than feasting the entire time of the CD you made for them. This would be my 'The Smiths' track listing:

1. This Charming Man
2. Hand In Glove
3. Some Girls Are Bigger Than Others
4. Is It Really So Strange?
5. I Know It's Over
6. Girlfriend In A Coma
7. William, It Was Really Nothing
8. Handsome Devil
9. Asleep
10. Rubber Ring
11. There Is A Light That Never Goes Out

This would be my perfect 22, but of course, it wouldn't fit. But I can't choose three tracks to get rid of, so here it is.

1. This Charming Man
2. Still Ill
3. Heaven Knows I'm Miserable Now
4. How Soon is Now?
5. The Boy With The Thorn In His Side
6. Rubber Ring
7. Bigmouth Strikes Again
8. I Know It's Over
9. Half A Person
10. Last Night I Dreamt That Somebody Loved Me
11. Suedehead
12. Everyday is Like Sunday
13. Late Night, Maudlin Street
14. Hairdresser on Fire
15. November Spawned a Monster
16. Last of the Famous International Playboys
17. Boxers
18. Alma Matters
19. Let Me Kiss You
20. First of the Gang to Die
21. Jack the Ripper
22. Ther Is A Light That Never Goes Out

Yeah it's pretty decent, although I'm sick of all The Smiths compliations and Morrissey has got quite a few. The Smiths have more compo albums than actual albums, quite sickening really!

All the playlists are great but I HATE the concept. The only other person I know who has done this is Sting. Eek.....

no Still Ill? no Cemetry Gates? :p still you don't want them hearing all Moz's best moves straight off

Back
Top Bottom