Do ya think this is M's handwriting?

beau

I can't remember when I got it, who I got it from, or for how much. But I always thought it looked like M's handwriting.

MozPOP1621.jpg

Attachments

• MozPOP1621.jpg
    MozPOP1621.jpg
    94.4 KB · Views: 5
I think it might be.

Send it over and I'll give it a good look.

What's on the record?

It's the test pressing for the Interesting Drug / Such A Little Thing Makes Such A Big Difference 7" single.
Such A Little Thing... is one of my favourite solo songs by the way. :guitar:

Why won't you change?
'I will not change
And I will not be nice'

To be perfectly honest I do think that's M's handwriting. Why would anyone mimic it at that time? Nice item!

I'm obviously no expert, but I have to agree with mikael and I.R. If you look at the first word in particular, the way the lines connect in the 'p's and the join at the top of the 'o' are very characteristic of Morrissey's handwriting.

(A bit off-topic, but studying Morrissey's pre-Smiths handwriting, 'P' is one of the letters that appears to have evolved the most - just in these few pages in the "Words by Morrissey" booklet, you can see it change from a neater, more rounded P, to a loopy-tailed P, to the same "scratchy" P as on the record label. Maybe I'm the only one who finds that interesting though... :o)

It does look like it, but why would Morrissey be the one to put the Rough Trade catalog number on it? Shouldn't that be done by some flunky in the head office?

Why would Morrissey be writing catalogue numbers on a factory test press? by 1989 would he still have been interested enough in the record making process to be in a manky factory to be there for the birth of a new baby? I doubt it. and being asked to put the catalogue number on rather than the title cant see it personally, either way nice thing.:thumb:

Why would Morrissey be writing catalogue numbers on a factory test press? by 1989 would he still
have been interested enough in the record making process to be in a manky factory to be there for the birth of a new baby? I doubt it. and being asked to put the catalogue number on rather than the title cant see it personally, either way nice thing.:thumb:

I do think Morrissey is still interested and has always been interested in the packaging and recording process of his vinyls; especially in 1989. 1989 is very much into the infancy of his solo career.

I also agree the handwriting is very similar to samples circa that time and could be Moz's.

Artists are often given test pressings by people at the label as a type of gift. I know Morrissey is given promos and test pressings from label reps/execs. He might have written the serial number on it so he'd know what it was when it went into his collection. He was probably also still excited to have a record with a "POP ____" serial numbers, as the label and designation was resurrected for him, as a POP release hadn't been issued since the late '60s.

Why would Morrissey be writing catalogue numbers on a factory test press? by 1989 would he still have been interested enough in the record making process to be in a manky factory to be there for the birth of a new baby? I doubt it. and being asked to put the catalogue number on rather than the title cant see it personally, either way nice thing.:thumb:

Artists are often given test pressings by people at the label as a type of gift. I know Morrissey is given promos and test pressings from label reps/execs. He might have written the serial number on it so he'd know what it was when it went into his collection. He was probably also still excited to have a record with a "POP ____" serial numbers, as the label and designation was resurrected for him, as a POP release hadn't been issued since the late '60s.

Wait--aren't you answering your own question?

Back
Top Bottom