Do You Consider Morrissey's Backing Group a "Band" ???

I don't consider them a band...obviously he does, though. He's a solo artist which means who he's backed by isn't who you are paying to see. However, that doesn't mean I don't care who he's backed by because that reflects the quality of the music you're going to hear.

I don't consider them a band. If they wrote together more it would be good for them. It's more the singer with backup band now and that turns into a different thing. You lose a lot of the energy of the rock feel and move into pop, and for that to work you have to have good songs that will connect with an audience.

I don't consider them a band, but neither do I consider the Smiths a band. It's been Morrissey's journey since 1982, his musicians have always simply been his foil, and obviously they've been ever changing.

I don't consider them a band, but neither do I consider the Smiths a band. It's been Morrissey's journey since 1982, his musicians have always simply been his foil, and obviously they've been ever changing.

If The Smiths weren't a band, they would have been called Morrissey.

Good question Skylarker, this is something I've always thought about.

I think the closest we've ever gotten to that "band feeling" was with the Lads from 1991-1994. Just look at the many photographs, music videos, and even single sleeves of that era - it was hard to find Moz and the gang NOT together. I think Morrissey was finally comfortable with his players at that point in his career, and there's no doubting that Boz and the boys helped re-energize Morrissey as well. However, I think the eventual rotation of bass and drums during the mid to late 90s affected any proper band mentality, and along with players coming and going over the years it just feels now like Morrissey and a bunch of session musicians. Anyone remember Vincent Jones?

Good question Skylarker, this is something I've always thought about.

I think the closest we've ever gotten to that "band feeling" was with the Lads from 1991-1994. Just look at the many photographs, music videos, and even single sleeves of that era - it was hard to find Moz and the gang NOT together. I think Morrissey was finally comfortable with his players at that point in his career, and there's no doubting that Boz and the boys helped re-energize Morrissey as well. However, I think the eventual rotation of bass and drums during the mid to late 90s affected any proper band mentality, and along with players coming and going over the years it just feels now like Morrissey and a bunch of session musicians. Anyone remember Vincent Jones?

???
vjones1.jpg

The Smiths were as much a backing group as the current band. They were a "band" only in name. The songs were written in the same way as they are now. His "solo" career is a continuation of the same themes and stories, a progression of one career.

...the way The Smiths were a band, or The Beatles, or The Doors, or The Shins, or Wire, or Radiohead or Spoon or The Cure or Throwing Muses...etc etc fill in the blank blah blah blah.

Or are they just glorified session musicians and a touring ensemble?

I've thought about this many many times. I go back and forth. Morrissey certainly sees them as a band. But I don't know. They don't seem all too cohesive or unified. I guess in a technical sense they are a band. But they seem too disparate and thrown together.

When I think of Morrissey's modern music I just think of Morrissey, I never think about the group's interpersonal dynamic as being a unified whole. They just don't seem to be that way. I mean, I'm very interested in all that stuff...who played what instrument on what song, whose guitar is in which channel, all that crap...but I'm just saying, I never think of Morrissey as being anything other than Morrissey. The backing guys seem incidental. Not unimportant, but incidental. They are a mechanical collective as opposed to an artistic one.

When I think of The Smiths I think of The Smiths. When I think of R.E.M. I think of R.E.M. When I think of Weezer I think of Weezer...with Matt Sharp.

But when I think of Morrissey I just think of Morrissey.

Anyway you get my point.

I understand what you mean. The fact remains they are a band, the clue is in the title "Backing Band". The Cure and The Fall (for instance) have had a number of band member changes BUT they are still thought of as an active band- this is because most people don't see beyond the title. Boz has been a writing partner with moz for years and so had Alan..longer than most writing teams in other bands. Moz and Marr did most of the work in The Smiths but The Smiths were still a band rather than a duo.

Tha Smiths are a duo...I thought everyone knew.

After the split of Smiths some people started saying Smiths were Morrissey and Marr partnership.

Although media exposure were mainly on songwriters, the majority of us considered Smiths as a band.

After the split of Smiths some people started saying Smiths were Morrissey and Marr partnership.

Although media exposure were mainly on songwriters, the majority of us considered Smiths as a band.

And of course, majority rules when it comes to opinion..

The only player I miss in Morrissey's current lineup is Jonny Bridgewood. Great bass player and way better than Gary and Solomon combined.

If the Smiths were not a band than neither are (at a guess) 80% of all bands, including The Jam, The Specials, The Kinks,The Stone Roses,The Fall,Oasis,The Verve and Blur

It's amazing how a duo can play 3 instruments at the same time...

They were very talented :)
Seriously, maybe I'm wrong but I've always seen them as a Moz-Marr Hand in glove-thing with the contribution of two other guys who, honestly, could be replaced by anyone

They were very talented :)
Seriously, maybe I'm wrong but I've always seen them as a Moz-Marr Hand in glove-thing with the contribution of two other guys who, honestly, could be replaced by anyone

Oh, I agree they could be replaced by anyone...people only really care about seeing Morrissey and Marr together again. It's just, I think if it wasn't for the court case, their contributions to the sound of The Smiths wouldn't be as overlooked as it is.

Morrissey took great care in selecting Boz and Alain. I'm sure I remember reading how he wanted to "create" a band. For me I have never seen the band as anything more than session musicians. They all appear to be of the same. Short 1950 style haircuts and tattoos. They are all interchangeable with each other in my opinion. I've never studied the line ups in great detail and even being a Morrissey fan for something like 25 years I still don't quite know all the dramatics with bass players leaving, new drummers. It all passes me by.

When I listen to "Years Of Refusal" I see that the band had too much influence and the result is an album who's track listing makes it difficult to listen too. An album which as some great songs on it, and a lot of trad pub rock.

If Johnny Bridgewood passed me in the street, I wouldn't know him from Adam.

Back
Top Bottom