Do you like Soft Cell?

Do you like Soft Cell

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
The only thing I like about Soft Cell is the story someone told me about Marc Almond having to get his stomach pumped and there being 15 different lots of semen in there.

My favorite songs by them:

And Tainted Love of course. And all the rest on Non-stop Erotic Cabaret. I don't know what it is about them, but I love them. I know their music is kind of weird, though.

Last edited by a moderator:
I came across an excellent version of "Say Hello, Wave Goodbye"(it might even be on here somewhere)
With Marc and Jools Holland.
What a fantastic voice.

The only thing I like about Soft Cell is the story someone told me about Marc Almond having to get his stomach pumped and there being 15 different lots of semen in there.

A homophobic lie still being spread by ex News Of The World readers who find it "like something gay men do", you can be forgiven for being mistaken but not for being stupid.

A homophobic lie still being spread by ex News Of The World readers who find it "like something gay men do", you can be forgiven for being mistaken but not for being stupid.

Calm down there, Tinky Winky .. sorry, LaLa... I said I found it funny, not that I believed it.

Yep. Even though my first exposure to them was the music review book Trouser Press(that had, if I recall correctly, scathing negative reviews for the 2nd and 3rd albums), I later gave them a chance as I got into Marc's solo work. Their reunion album Cruelty without Beauty was sadly neglected when it came out.

Marc and the Mambas are ACE.

So is the album "Mother Fist and Her Five Daughters" as Marc Almond and the Willing Sinners.

I still haven't read "Tainted Life," I'd like to get around to it.

You didn't believe it but you still felt the need to repeat it. It's homophobia plain and simple. Think before you type next time.

Oh shut up, you tart.
Dale Winton once stole a Mars bar from a shop near his house. That's a lie about a gay person - does that qualify as homophobia too?
Think before you type next time, you hyper-sensitive cretin.

Oh shut up, you tart.
Dale Winton once stole a Mars bar from a shop near his house. That's a lie about a gay person - does that qualify as homophobia too?
Think before you type next time, you hyper-sensitive cretin.

You did not say that Dale shoved the Mars bar up his ass to get it out of the shop did you, if I were to write "Death Disco" likes sleeping with over 80 year old homeless blind men then he kills them and eats their dirty clothes that would be a lie which would be an attack on you as a person, stealing is not like calling someone a sexual deviant with no proof whatsoever. Perspective is a word that needs to be considered here "Death Disco" you octogenarian tramp lover.

You did not say that Dale shoved the Mars bar up his ass to get it out of the shop did you, if I were to write "Death Disco" likes sleeping with over 80 year old homeless blind men then he kills them and eats their dirty clothes that would be a lie which would be an attack on you as a person, stealing is not like calling someone a sexual deviant with no proof whatsoever. Perspective is a word that needs to be considered here "Death Disco" you octogenarian tramp lover.

Oh, I don't know, this place is bizarre.
Got a creepy oddball talking about vaginal secretions and sex while calling me a virgin on one thread, and another calling me an OAP tramp-f***er in this one. Quite how shagging an 80 year old tramp is worse than shagging a regular one I do not know, but then again I do not care.
I'm off to burn pictures of Paul O'Grady.

Oh, I don't know, this place is bizarre.
Got a creepy oddball talking about vaginal secretions and sex while calling me a virgin on one thread, and another calling me an OAP tramp-f***er in this one. Quite how shagging an 80 year old tramp is worse than shagging a regular one I do not know, but then again I do not care.
I'm off to burn pictures of Paul O'Grady.

I'd smash all the mirror's in your abode as well, just in case, hey say it's 1 in 10 you know ;-)

Sorry...don't take it up the wrong way! LOL

I don't.
I notice you're a fan of the Three Dots, too? Hmmmm.

(And if you must use "LOL" like some kind of retarded teenage waste of space, at least write something funny before it. Bye!)

#ahem#...I have also heard that stupid story too......Marc Almond once said in an interview that he ( at the time) found it hilarious....but it is soooooo boring nowadays.

Getting back to Kenzies original question, yes, I do like soft Cell, some of their records are quite good/great, but.....One of the WORST gigs I have EVER attended was Soft cell, Royal Court theatre, Liverpool 1984.

They decided to play a "Stripped down" concert, IE:_ NO stage effects at all, just Marc and Dave. not a Sex dwarf to be seen.....
It was appaling to watch/listen to, as the theatre is quite big, and the stage was MASSIVE, and there was only Marc Almond trying desperately, (and embarrasingly) to fill it, as Dave Ball stood completely still behind his synths.......it was an abysmal performance ( in my opinion) and I even got in free that night, so I shouldn't really complain, but.....thats how BAD it was!!!...

...s'cuse me now , just gonna get my stomach pumped.....

Last edited:
I don't just like Soft Cell, I LOVE Soft Cell.

They gave electronic club music a warm, humane touch at a time when it was cool to be cold, and managed to combine intelligence and sleaze in a way that has seldom been equalled. Marc Almond is one of the most criminally underrated lyricists in pop music.

Getting back to Kenzies original question, yes, I do like soft Cell, some of their records are quite good/great, but.....One of the WORST gigs I have EVER attended was Soft cell, Royal Court theatre, Liverpool 1984.

They decided to play a "Stripped down" concert, IE:_ NO stage effects at all, just Marc and Dave. not a Sex dwarf to be seen.....
It was appaling to watch/listen to, as the theatre is quite big, and the stage was MASSIVE, and there was only Marc Almond trying desperately, (and embarrasingly) to fill it, as Dave Ball stood completely still behind his synths.......it was an abysmal performance ( in my opinion) and I even got in free that night, so I shouldn't really complain, but.....thats how BAD it was!!!...

I can't let that go unanswered: I saw what was to be one of Soft Cell's last shows here in New York in 1984, and it was about as much fun as a gig can be - affectionate and joyous. It ended with Marc being pulled offstage and stripped by the audience. :thumb:

I don't just like Soft Cell, I LOVE Soft Cell.

They gave electronic club music a warm, humane touch at a time when it was cool to be cold, and managed to combine intelligence and sleaze in a way that has seldom been equalled. Marc Almond is one of the most criminally underrated lyricists in pop music.
Yes! Perfectly said. That is why I love them. Marc's lyrics are among my favorites. He is sarcastic and serious. They just make me smile. :)

Tags
soft cell
Back
Top Bottom