Morrissey Central "DO YOU REMEMBER … FAR BACK IN TIME …" (October 22, 2020)

I enjoyed that. Brilliant.

I'll be controversial and say I agree with EVERYTHING the animated lady on the couch said. Kudos to the host for being so inclusive.

Last edited:
Very clear, articulate and justified, Baldwin makes his stance digestible.

Weiss made good points but it’s not possible to agree with him purely on the basis he has a blind perspective and simply, he is not a black man living in a black man’s world.

Weiss got schooled.

Back when some radicals in broadcasting thought it would be a far out idea to actually use TV as a way to educate people, well, that didn’t last.

I'm really glad to see that Morrissey seems to respect and admire James Baldwin (though his “I wear black on the outside / ‘Cause black is how I feel on the inside” tee-shirt homage to Baldwin couldn't have been clumsier). I'd like to think there's an ongoing conflict inside Morrissey, where the Morrissey of old -- the warm and egalitarian champion of misfits and the misunderstood -- grapples with the cantankerous For Britain badge-wearing Morrissey of today. I hope the former offers the latter a giant bouquet of gladiolas, invites him to tea, and talks some sense into him.

DO YOU REMEMBER … FAR BACK IN TIME …

WHEN TELEVISION ALLOWED OPEN AND INTELLIGENT DEBATE ?

@ Morrissey&Co. Please be more explicit. Are you referring to Trump and Biden? If so, there will be a debate after their two minutes in which the opposition cannot interrupt.

If you're referring to Trump and his c***ish ways, then I agree. Blokes a twat.

Great films though. And music. And art. And technology. But apart from the films, music, art and technology...
I'd agree on the films and books. But to me, England is unsurpassed when it comes to music (Moz, Smiths, New Order, Kate Bush, Siouxsie, Gene, Suede, Lloyd Cole, DM, The Beatles, The Kinks, etc.) and comedy (Fawlty Towers, Yes Minister, etc.). What's the flagship for US 'comedy': absolute shite like Friends. Great crime novels and TV crime dramas from the US though.

I'm really glad to see that Morrissey seems to respect and admire James Baldwin (though his “I wear black on the outside / ‘Cause black is how I feel on the inside” tee-shirt homage to Baldwin couldn't have been clumsier). I'd like to think there's an ongoing conflict inside Morrissey, where the Morrissey of old -- the warm and egalitarian champion of misfits and the misunderstood -- grapples with the cantankerous For Britain badge-wearing Morrissey of today. I hope the former offers the latter a giant bouquet of gladiolas, invites him to tea, and talks some sense into him.

where the Morrissey of old -- the warm and egalitarian champion of misfits and the misunderstood”

that sounds like the present day Morrissey.

I hope the former offers the latter a giant bouquet of gladiolas, invites him to tea, and talks some sense into him.”

Sorry, but your ‘hero’ is dead .....

LONG LIVE MORRISSEY !!!

:cool:

where the Morrissey of old -- the warm and egalitarian champion of misfits and the misunderstood”

that sounds like the present day Morrissey.

Not to me, it doesn't. He comes across as quite bitter nowadays, whether in interviews, song lyrics, or his own autobiography. He wasn't kidding when he informed the world that he bears "more grudges than lonely high court judges."

Sorry, but your ‘hero’ is dead .....

Alas, I think you're probably right about that. Pity.

Not to me, it doesn't. He comes across as quite bitter nowadays, whether in interviews, song lyrics, or his own autobiography. He wasn't kidding when he informed the world that he bears "more grudges than lonely high court judges."

Alas, I think you're probably right about that. Pity.

I'd agree on the films and books. But to me, England is unsurpassed when it comes to music (Moz, Smiths, New Order, Kate Bush, Siouxsie, Gene, Suede, Lloyd Cole, DM, The Beatles, The Kinks, etc.) and comedy (Fawlty Towers, Yes Minister, etc.). What's the flagship for US 'comedy': absolute shite like Friends. Great crime novels and TV crime dramas from the US though.
Cheers was ace, as was The Golden Girls, The Beverley Hillbillies, The Addams Family, Ally McBeal and Mork & Mindy.

The gold standard of sit coms is surely The Phil Silvers Show: unsurpassed anywhere.

So on the subject of isms race sex etc how about this?
Apologies if you’ve seen it before.

Brilliant, and very true as well..
The thing with being a friendly northerner is, you get people’s life story’s when first meeting, either at a bus stop or a bar.... it can get a tad tedious, but when I think afterwards I’ve sometimes thought that my life isn’t half as bad as that idiot I’ve just been speaking to for the last 10 minutes....
This is why we do it you see....

Cheers was ace, as was The Golden Girls, The Beverley Hillbillies, The Addams Family, Ally McBeal and Mork & Mindy.

The gold standard of sit coms is surely The Phil Silvers Show: unsurpassed anywhere.
In days, sadly gone by, Friday nights with Friends & Frasier were difficult to beat...with wine/beer/food obv. Was never sure if it was a time when they (Americans) had adapted their humour to ours in the UK, or vice versa. Good times regardless.

Last edited by a moderator:
In days, sadly gone by, Friday nights with Friends & Frasier were difficult to beat...with wine/beer/food obv. Was never sure if it was a time when they (Americans) had adapted their humour to ours in the UK, or vice versa. Good times regardless.
Don’t forget MASH I loved it not the potato 🙄

Wow. When Baldwin fired up there was no one better.
An indication of just how dumbed down TV has become now. Especially the chat show. The average chat show on TV now is an embarrassment.
Dick Cavett was great. Loads of great Dick Cavett on Youtube. The best one ever was Gore Vidal v Norman Mailer. Television at its very best.

I'd agree with Beverly Hillbillies and Phil Silvers, and the humour in The Sopranos was fantastic.

You must be remembering the early 90s, Friday night tv, have I got news for you, cheers, yes plenty of alcohol ‘‘twas a good night in ...

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom