Does anybody want to meet Morrissey?

Girl-Afraid

Least Likely To
Ok it's an odd question but hear me out.
I've always thought I would love to meet him but they always say never meet your heroes.
I feel though he really wouldn't like me and that would break my heart!

If he was rude/horrible to me I would devastated.

Anyone else?

If somehow, I saw him around Manchester I wouldn't have to think twice about going over to meet him

However I'm aware this will never happen

Last edited:
Ok it's an odd question but hear me out.
I've always thought I would love to meet him but they always say never meet your heroes.
I feel though he really wouldn't like me and that would break my heart!

If he was rude/horrible to me I would devastated.

Anyone else?

He's not my hero.

Christopher Hitchens came close. But even he was a very flawed person. He drank too much, smoked too much, and wrote an essay that argued women weren't funny. Nobody is perfect.

But Hitch and I had a lot in common. So I think he would have made great company. Many state just that. That he lit up the room, was highly entertaining, and could hold court into the wee hours... never losing his edge. People adored him. He was charming and charismatic... but most of all, gracious.

Gracious is not a trait I associate with Morrissey... unless we are talking about animals, of course. Anyone who requests a fellow being to salt his fries so that he may be spared illness (imaginary, of course), is not someone I'd like to pal around with. Nor could I revere such a person. This act alone demonstrates a serious flaw in his moral character, imo. And before you say that this incident is unsubstantiated (as I have heard claimed before), it was reported in a magazine. If it was false, Morrissey would have let us know via TTY. It happened folks. That is who he is. He is fussy, demanding, and probably has some OCD traits. Not fun company. Not hero-like.

When I first discovered Morrissey... the young, sexy vocalist, who penned and sang the most unique and witty lyrics I had ever heard... I was fascinated... obsessed with his image... his persona. I wanted to know everything about him. And so I literally read every article and interview I could find. I learned much. Then I found Solo... and became a part of a community of fans. I have learned so much more about his music and history since then.

In 2005, I began to feel disillusioned. I realized that Morrissey was not the man I thought he was--hoped he was. His boycotting of Canada, talks of playing in Iran, remarks about the Norway shootings etc... changed my perception of him. I no longer saw him as a voice for me or my beliefs. I realized that we were different... very different. Our moral compasses pointed in different directions. He was not, nor could ever be a hero because I did not look up to him nor respect his thinking or way of life. He was not an ambassador for any meaningful cause... except animal rights. And even then, it seemed more self-serving than selfless.

And at the same time, I was discovering Hitchens. So the contrast of these two icons made it all the more apparent.

Morrissey is tops in my book as a brilliant and talented lyricist, vocalist, and stage presence. But he is not worthy of hero status. Heroes are folks who stick their necks out, serve as role models, fight for human rights and injustices... change the world... inspire others to make changes for the greater good.

Many of the fawning sycophants here claim they ARE inspired by Morrissey. His lyrics saved their lives, helped them through troubled times, made them give up eating meat. Great. But this is all very subjective and has no bearing outside of one's bedroom unless it is applied to accomplishing things that help others and make our world a better and more interesting place. What great accomplishments achieved by his fans, which serve the greater good of humanity, are the result of listening to his music or adopting his views?

We are told not to eat meat, to hate David and Victoria Beckham, and to see the Royal Family as evil. And then what? Give to charity? Help the homeless? Educate the illiterate? Build homes in disaster torn areas? Help raise money for the Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation? Nope. None of these things. Morrissey tells us to not eat meat, hate certain celebrities that he feels have not earned their statuses, buy his music... including the reissues, and fork out big bucks for concert tickets without any guarantee of a performance. That's it. How is this being a role model worthy of hero status?

So anyhow, no, I don't desire to meet Morrissey. If I did, I would not place him on a pedestal or ask for his autograph. He is no better than I. Different? Yes. But more worthy as a human being? No. Of course, I don't worship any TV, film, or musical celebrities. I see them for who they are--talented entertainers with gifts bestowed upon them by mother nature. Lucky folks who have embraced their talents and worked hard to nurture them and share the fruits of their labor with the rest of us. Wonderful! The world is a more interesting and amusing place as a result.

Why am I here, on Solo, if I don't think Morrissey is a god worthy of blind adoration? Because I love his music and I enjoy interacting with other folks who do as well. So please don't tell me I have no business being here. I do.

Last edited:
I like Morrissey the singer, the performer, the artist. I like his songs and his concerts. I think any sort of personal exchange in a bar, restaurant or airport (etc...) would most certainly be an underwhelming experience because it would be an entirely one-way situation. I would say something flattering or perhaps even witty to him (or maybe just plain ridiculous) and he would, at best, say thank you and shake my hand and be on his way.

I know so much about him, respect his craft, and have put so much time and effort into him over the years, yet he doesn't even know I exist. It's probably best that it remains that way.

I would love to have met the wise, charming and witty Morrissey of the 1980s and early 1990s.
However, I'd have no interest at all in meeting the bigoted, bitter, foolish, humourless Morrissey of 2013.

I met him. He was taller than me and I quietly asked him a question and he sensed I didn't want to blurt it out and bent down so I could whisper in his ear. He was lovely. I'd meet him again and ask him the same exact question. :cool:

I met him. He was taller than me and I quietly asked him a question and he sensed I didn't want to blurt it out and bent down so I could whisper in his ear. He was lovely. I'd meet him again and ask him the same exact question. :cool:

Aww wow, I would have loved that.
A part of me really wants to meet him but another is scared whether it will meet my expectations.
It will never happen of course unless he's back in England one time and I bump into him :o

- - - Updated - - -

Can I ask one question, what does he smell like? Lol

Aww wow, I would have loved that.
A part of me really wants to meet him but another is scared whether it will meet my expectations.
It will never happen of course unless he's back in England one time and I bump into him :o

- - - Updated - - -

Can I ask one question, what does he smell like? Lol

Fancy cologne. He smelled like a church, like Frankensense or sandalwood. It was earthy. ANd the sleeve of his coat was scratchy. I touched his coat sleeve, I held onto it like a little kid, it was weird. I pinched it for a while, I didn't want him to walk away before I could talk to him while he was talking to other people. He didn't seem to care I was doing that. :o

Last edited:
I would love to meet him:love:

Morrissey is not my hero. I no longer look to anyone in that way. I do greatly Morrissey's talent. He is completely fascinating to me and by far my number one pick as far as meeting someone famous.

I would be nervous that if it didn't go well I'd be devastated, but it would be worth the risk. I think that if you manage your expectations, the chance of disappointment are reduced. I would just like the chance to tell him how much the music has meant to me, hopefully get a quick smile and yes to be a few feet from him even if only for a few seconds:o

Last edited:
I would just like the chance to tell him how much the music has meant to me, hopefully get a quick smile and yes to be a few feet from him even if only for a few seconds:o

I have a feeling he's probably bored out of his mind of this sentiment and it's just an unspoken given that if you know who he is, you appreciate his music. I bet he'd rather you bring up a new topic like "Whaddya think about koala bears?" or some dumb thing. Other than the questions I asked him off to the side he asked me where to put Margaret's tattoo (now underground :() and told me he thought my dog had to go poo. (very much above ground) so he likes to have fun. Be funny. I bet he'd appreciate that more than OMG I LOVE YOU AND YOUR WORK AND BLEHHHHHHH!!!!!!

I could be wrong.

I dunno. I see some pictures people post of seeing him in the street and he doesn't look very enthusiastic about having a camera or phone shoved in his face. If I saw him chilling at a restaurant (what are the odds?), I wouldn't bother him- maybe I'd ask the waiter/waitress what he was drinking and send over a refill. I'm not one to just run up to a stranger (and face it, I don't know him, so he is a stranger) and just start yammering. I'd probably acknowledge him with a nod, maybe say hello. If he was sitting and signing autographs at the merch table at a concert, I would stand on line.

I met him in 1986, after a Smiths gig, it was an extraordinary few minutes for me as I was completely obsessed with him and had corresponded with him two years previous. I had the chance to say hello again after a gig in Sheffield, four years ago, but felt no compulsion to do so. Unless you get the chance to speak to him for more than a few minutes you'll probably be disappointed, as you get a brief moment to say something worthwhile, but it'll probably be something he's heard hundreds of times before.

I dunno. I see some pictures people post of seeing him in the street and he doesn't look very enthusiastic about having a camera or phone shoved in his face. If I saw him chilling at a restaurant (what are the odds?), I wouldn't bother him- maybe I'd ask the waiter/waitress what he was drinking and send over a refill. I'm not one to just run up to a stranger (and face it, I don't know him, so he is a stranger) and just start yammering. I'd probably acknowledge him with a nod, maybe say hello. If he was sitting and signing autographs at the merch table at a concert, I would stand on line.

There was a girl at the restaurant who wouldn't stop bugging him to sing karaoke at her wedding reception that was going on in the next room. He was ridiculously polite, kept saying no in his beautiful voice. I would've told her to f*** off after the tenth request. It was embarrassing to all fans, but especially her, she was being so rude. It was also embarrassing I was sitting there eavesdropping on the whole thing. :o (What? The answer to my question he told me didn;t make sense, I was hanging around to give him the option to change his mind! read: stalker, no... I left eventually.)

Last edited:

Right. You asked him if he sees signs and he said no. So you want to do the same thing again hoping for a different outcome which is famously the definition of insanity, as if anyone needed further confirmation that you're unstable.

You are probably right. Morrissey has often said that people(not fans per se) all say the same things and are rarely original or interesting.

If the planets ever properly aligned and I had the opportunity to meet Morrissey I would be so nervous that it would be unlikely I'd come up with anything too witty:o

At least I wouldn't say "your songs saved my life" or "I love you!" :p

I would love to know what you whispered to Morrissey...but I suspect it's private;)

- - - Updated - - -

I have a feeling he's probably bored out of his mind of this sentiment and it's just an unspoken given that if you know who he is, you appreciate his music. I bet he'd rather you bring up a new topic like "Whaddya think about koala bears?" or some dumb thing. Other than the questions I asked him off to the side he asked me where to put Margaret's tattoo (now underground :() and told me he thought my dog had to go poo. (very much above ground) so he likes to have fun. Be funny. I bet he'd appreciate that more than OMG I LOVE YOU AND YOUR WORK AND BLEHHHHHHH!!!!!!

I could be wrong.

I would love to know what you whispered to Morrissey...but I suspect it's private;)

I wasn't expecting to meet him so I didn't have a chance to word it properly. I wanted to ask if he experienced a LOT of coincidences. Instead what came out was this:

Me: Do you see signs?

M: No.

Me: (stammering) Well, do you see people within people?

M: I don't even see people anymore.

Whether that means he packages up every interaction into the category of "ghost" or "angel" or whatever, it kind of relieved me even though it doesn't make sense. So we're kind of on the same page that's tough to describe. I think.

He looked directly at me and was either toasted or high or very sincere, but his answer seemed genuine, he was addressing my question as honestly as possible. Then it;s like a switch flipped and he went back into entertainer mode and was swept away by Jesse and Gustavo and some other guys and while walking away told me my dog had to go poop. :p I can't remember if he said his name, I know I told Jesse Barney's name because the whole time all this meeting was happening, Jesse was petting Barney and he wanted to know his name.

Shortly after People Are the Same Everywhere was released which further answered the question that we were the same flavor of weird. He deserves a medal for hiding it so well.

This thread... is it a sign? Well... it sure is a revelation! :lbf:

Where are all the boys? Afraid to post your sweet nothings?

Where's Davie when you need him?

Back
Top Bottom