Does the negative press damage Morrissey's career and does he care?

butley

I know people gnash their teeth and say they're going to burn all their cds but really he is still very popular and is 20 times more successful than Johnny Marr overall if not more. For every fan that falls on their sword there is probably another one born who is intrigued by the fascinating old fool.

I'm not too sure, he's not selling out the two dates at Castlefield and has now announced three dates at three relatively small venues.

He is not less popular than he was in the 90s though particularly in terms of live dates. He never played massive venues then to be fair. I suppose he used to play about 15 dates on an average UK tour at venues holding 2-3000 people mostly so the sales have possibly dipped. He was never overly expensive then either, like he is now, which puts people off.

Of course it damages his career. He’s unlikely to ever get another favourable review from the majority of mainstream media and less likely to get airplay. Chart positions and good reviews are important to him so of course he will be bothered. He won’t play the games that are required in the modern day music industry and this has continually impacted his career but associating yourself with far right lunatics is virtually career suicide.

Even if he no longer cared about the impact on his career, the sad fact is his campaign to raise awareness of animal suffering will now also be adversely affected. He was an important mouthpiece for animal rights but he’s less likely to get a platform to voice them when he’s now being widely labelled as some kind of rabid racist.

The whole episode is incredibly sad. He remains one of the most important figures in the history of music and his body of work is exemplary. He’s still capable of greatness and his voice has never sounded better. Yet for all his majestic lyrics, foolish words in meaningless interviews might have resulted in a premature and heartbreaking end.

Yeah I think it mostly the older smiths fans viva hate era people who seem so angry. I believe he’ll be just fine in terms of shows. For a man of almost sixty he’s still doing pretty well. I do think it weird he’s playing more U.K. shows so soon. If he had waited say a year I think there would be more excitement. As for negative press I’d say it depends on the actual piece for me. Some of it seems reasonable while some seems near hysterical

People keep saying he hasn't sold out Castlefield, but it's probably more likely due to the fact he very recently played several arena dates in the UK rather than it being an indication of decline.

I ran into an old friend a few weeks ago; someone who just adored Morrissey for his wit and his ridiculously stylish bravado. My friend has deleted Morrissey from all his playlists - not for political reasons exactly - but because Morrissey no longer makes him happy.

I know how he feels. Moz has just about killed the joy. I doubt very much whether he cares. He may, in fact, relish the self-sabotage.

Even if he no longer cared about the impact on his career, the sad fact is his campaign to raise awareness of animal suffering will now also be adversely affected. He was an important mouthpiece for animal rights but he’s less likely to get a platform to voice them when he’s now being widely labelled as some kind of rabid racist.

He remains one of the most important figures in the history of music and his body of work is exemplary.

Exactly. Having such a high-profile advocate for animal rights also be a public buffoon and an avatar for intolerance is harmful to the cause. The fact that Morrissey either can't or won't see this just adds to the bathos.

I still listen to Morrissey and The Smiths on the rare occasion; his talent is compelling and undeniable. But I'm not in love with the music anymore. I wish I was.

Moz giveth, and Moz taketh away.

I only know two people who have stuck by him (IRL) and one of them says nothing about it, doesn't want to, and the other is a blithering apologist who brings Woody Allen into convo too often regarding Morrissey. For the record, I find Woody Allen worse. The rest of the people I know have dumped him, and this includes some who used to travel far and wide, including one who has previously traveled overseas to see him.

People keep saying he hasn't sold out Castlefield, but it's probably more likely due to the fact he very recently played several arena dates in the UK rather than it being an indication of decline.

I don't buy into this excuse. I've been around long enough to know if he puts on a show in Manchester he'd sell it out regardless of previous tours. It'll be interesting to see how the smaller shows do. In years gone by I wouldn't have blinked at how much it would have cost me to see him, I once paid over the odds to a tout outside of the St Georges Hall in Bradford to see him. There will be those that stand by him but the "For Britain" comments have lost him a lot of fans. Time will tell.

I don't buy into this excuse. I've been around long enough to know if he puts on a show in Manchester he'd sell it out regardless of previous tours. It'll be interesting to see how the smaller shows do. In years gone by I wouldn't have blinked at how much it would have cost me to see him, I once paid over the odds to a tout outside of the St Georges Hall in Bradford to see him. There will be those that stand by him but the "For Britain" comments have lost him a lot of fans. Time will tell.
It used to be that you either got a ticket when they went on sale or you didn't get one. Now, why hurry? Pick one up from stubhub day of the show for next to nothing, or just buy one at your leisure at full price.

Now I imagine it goes more like "Honey- do you want to go see Morrissey tomorrow?" "Nah, that guy's a dickhead."

Right, the fact he HAS JUST had a string of sellouts means that hes not selling out.:crazy:
Trolling insanity.

You all need to quit acting like 'abused spouses(trolls)'.:crazy:

'im an abused troll Moz spouse who is hoping for a better day'
Very embarrassing.doh:

Right, the fact he HAS JUST had a string of sellouts means that hes not selling out.:crazy:
Trolling insanity.

You all need to quit acting like 'abused spouses(trolls)'.:crazy:

'im an abused troll Moz spouse who is hoping for a better day'
Very embarrassing.doh:
SHHHHHHH. Drama J just announced his tour dates. You have work to do. Quit wasting precious time that could be spent talking about his hair do.

SHHHHHHH. Drama J just announced his tour dates. You have work to do. Quit wasting precious time that could be spent talking about his hair do.

Including Manchester Apollo and Camden Roundhouse - seen Morrissey at both in the past, great venues.

Interesting that the 3 dates Morrissey has added are only 2000 to 3000 capacity?

Last edited:
FINALLY!!
what we all were waiting for the Drama J MEGA DOME TOUR:rock:
doh:

Will he doing the Pond in LA?:laughing:

we gotta hurry up and crowdfund him a new flower shirt.:yum:

That means no CALL THE COMET :drama: release since
the world will remain unexploded until after the tour!!
A FRIENDLY WORLD EXPLODING COMET:drama:

Only so many tix available for the :frogface: tour people, grab them before they all go LOL:bow:
"Booooog" likely to be a tour highlight.

Including Manchester Apollo and Camden Roundhouse - seen Morrissey at both in the past, great venues.

Interesting that the 3 dates has added are only 2 to 3000 capacity?
Not really. He kind of shot himself in the foot. Back to the rock clubs and small theaters he goes. I called this back in November. He'll probably try bookending his tours with larger shows (he already does in the US) but I don't know how that will work out for him.

Not really. He kind of shot himself in the foot. Back to the rock clubs and small theaters he goes. I called this back in November. He'll probably try bookending his tours with larger shows (he already does in the US) but I don't know how that will work out for him.

NO WORRIES!! Rumors that Moby DH and SPARKS will open the US dates:straightface:
and sucky James and :rabbit: the UK ones. A Sucky music lovers paradise, the:frogface: tour!!!

Skinny will make an appearance, you can get your Skinny, Surface and Hala Butcher
autographs all at once.LOL:rofl:

Interesting that the 3 dates Morrissey has added are only 2000 to 3000 capacity?

I think it probably the fact that he’s just toured this area not very long ago after releasing a new album. Only time will tell but I imagine that if he takes a break he could play larger places in about a year year and a half without to
much trouble. I dont think the average concert goer really cares that much about what he says in the press or follows it that much or that it really makes much difference in there decision to go hear some music. If that were true so many acts from the eagles of death metal to iggy pop would never have fans. Maybe this is a u.s attitude but he’s not done anything evil to alienate people like lost prophets etc

NO WORRIES!! Rumors that Moby DH and SPARKS will open the US dates:straightface:
and sucky James and :rabbit: the UK ones. A Sucky music lovers paradise, the:frogface: tour!!!

Skinny will make an appearance, you can get your Skinny, Surface and Hala Butcher
autographs all at once.LOL:rofl:
Ooh wee, sounds like a good time to me! I'm buying tickets.

Back
Top Bottom