Does your taste in music get mocked alot?

BrokenFrame

My favourite artists are morrissey, the smiths, joy division, rage against the machine, tool, manic street preachers, Depeche mode, radiohead, editors, bjork

But i get constantly told that that my bands are "emo" and i have no taste whatsoever. How do I get people to shut up.

Just tell them to piss off! And rest in the knowledge that your musical taste (well parts of it!) is undoubtedly superior to theirs.

I forever get told I like miserable music ...yep, people still churn out the age old mis-conception to this day that Moz / Smiths music is miserable. Its mostly people I work with who like top 40 crap or if they like indie its snow patrol (?) and the like (pah!!!). I either dont rise to it or go off on a spiel in an effort to educate them. Is it worth it however? No.

I get laughed at for liking Morrissey. My housemates laugh at my "shit" taste in music, especially one in particular who predominantly likes metal, but overall there is a fair amount of overlap in what we like. My more "mainstream" friends just tease me a little bit for being "indie".
It's all in good spirits, nothing nasty.

Yes, actually its mostly the top 40 crowd that stick the knife in.
Ive found debating musical tastes is pointless and frustrating.
I still maintain that morrissey or nick cave is better than the likes of S club 7 etc.

I wouldn't say they "stick the knife in" by any means! It's only jokey things like if they're talking about a popular artist that I say I don't like, they'll roll their eyes and say "well there's a surprise". I hardly call that persecution...

Yes, actually its mostly the top 40 crowd that stick the knife in.
Ive found debating musical tastes is pointless and frustrating.
I still maintain that morrissey or nick cave is better than the likes of S club 7 etc.

Although I get annoyed by people who criticise the Smiths/Moz, indie snobs are just as bad. There's nothing inherently superior about indie music.
I'm generally not keen on the so-called 'manufactured' bands but occasionally a song comes along which is undeniably fantastic.
Don't Stop Moving by S Club 7 is such a song. A truly wonderful thing and a billion times better than That's How People Grow Up and all the other sub-par solo stuff.
However, they will obviously never write anything as powerful and honest as the very best Morrissey stuff.
But, generally, don't be told by the cool police what to listen to and what to like. Look up the lyrics to 'Middle of the Road' by Denim for more advice on the subject!

The Smiths/Morrissey is the only one I get mocked for really, and I find that most derision is aimed at Morrissey (his singing voice, his personality, his age, penchant for taking his shirt off, etc) rather than The Smiths. Doesn't bother me in the slightest, though. :)

Although I get annoyed by people who criticise the Smiths/Moz, indie snobs are just as bad. There's nothing inherently superior about indie music.
I'm generally not keen on the so-called 'manufactured' bands but occasionally a song comes along which is undeniably fantastic.
Don't Stop Moving by S Club 7 is such a song. A truly wonderful thing and a billion times better than That's How People Grow Up and all the other sub-par solo stuff.
However, they will obviously never write anything as powerful and honest as the very best Morrissey stuff.
But, generally, don't be told by the cool police what to listen to and what to like. Look up the lyrics to 'Middle of the Road' by Denim for more advice on the subject!

Extremely happy music doesnt sound good to me, in my humble opinion.
That's why any morrissey song would sound better to me by default than Dont stop moving etc.
I really hope I'm not trying to be cool. Ive not gained any street cred so far.
Maybe I take these things too personally, but the music feels like part of my identity.

I get told i'm depressed because of the smiths/morrissey lovin'

and i like Enrique Iglesias and seen him twice, so people call me Enrique LOL and say i must be gay because of both of them :(

I'm glad there's different types of music to please almost everyone, perhaps people should celebrate their differences. I think my final question is should people be blunt with their critical opinions.

Last edited:
Yes! I don't really get mocked for liking The Smiths, but I get mocked for liking Morrissey solo, the Stone Roses and for Pete Doherty. I also get mocked for liking bands that are not very popular like The Chameleons.

My favourite artists are morrissey, the smiths, joy division, rage against the machine, tool, manic street preachers, Depeche mode, radiohead, editors, bjork

But i get constantly told that that my bands are "emo" and i have no taste whatsoever. How do I get people to shut up.

sorry, but how old are those brainless offenders?
and to be honest.... i only have friends with similar music taste.
if not, theire only mates and we rarely talk about music. if we do though, i avoid talking about things they dont get as i tend to become quickly
aversive to talk with people that dont like moz/smiths, bowie, etc.

the funny thing is that some of them do listen to bands that have many times admit that eg bowie, smiths, joy division etc. are their inspiration to have written music. i think i have been far more militant in my teen days to convert people to music like moz, suede, radiohead etc., mostly successful. nowadays... i dont care but dont make me cross with untaught comments, ideas, statements etc.

Different ages, but generally people who listen to alot of cheesy, happy music.
Apart from me, my family hate morrissey. I put my head phones so they stop whining. I live a very difficult life in general and music is a casual interest to most, but I see it as a life saver.

No,I can't say it does.In my experience,the 'top forty crowd' are generally more accepting of other people's musical taste. This would make alot of sense seeing as they're not so hung up about belonging to any particular scene and don't give any credence to the mantra, often repeated by scenster types, that goes along the lines of 'I AM my music,my music defines me.'
I understand you will get the odd f***wit here and there,however f***wittery is not exclusive to the more 'mainstream' individual,sadly.I agree that music is a life saver.....ALL music.Who is it for anyone to say that the cheesy,happy music you find distasteful isn't saving someone's life? I have a friend who suffers terribly from depression who happens to be a huge fan of kylie minogue. (who I have never personally cared for,but whatever) Her songs may not be all that deep and sensitive but they still allow my friend to go to another place and lose herself.If that's what helps her get through,so be it.

I do engage in debates with people from time to time concerning music but unless they resolve to pour kerosene over me as I sleep and set me alight for disagreeing with them,I don't really see it as a big deal.

Having said that, anyone who labels the bands/artists you mentioned as EMO should be kicked in the stomach and ejected into space.In your case,violent assault may be the only solution.:D

Maybe you need to just not take it all so personal?
Music is wicked and all that but it's not like you're married to the band, it's not a personal attack on you.

You know what you like so just get on with it.

BOB MARLEY FOREVER lol

Maybe you need to just not take it all so personal?
Music is wicked and all that but it's not like you're married to the band, it's not a personal attack on you.

You know what you like so just get on with it.

BOB MARLEY FOREVER lol

I think this is what I was trying to say before I went off on a tangent.

Just tell them to f*** off. They dont appreciate uniquiness when they see it in the likes of Morrissey and Maynard James Keenan and prefer bands like the wombats :crazy:

I went to my neighborhood bar on May 22nd. the "DJ" has a bunch of classic rock type cds. i put together a smiths/moz mix right before I left and I gave it to him and told him he HAD to play some stuff from there cuz it was Morrissey's bday and I didnt care if no one liked it. so he plays the first song which was "This Charming Man." the DJ said something about how i requested it or something before he started it. I'm not even exaggerating, as soon as the song started, about 10 people turned their heads and looked at me. ya know like "wtf is this shit." I was standing next to the DJ's wife and she's like "whos this?" I said "Morrissey." she said it a few times like it was a difficult word to pronounce or something. shes like "is that a woman's name?" i was like "uh no, its his last name." she's like "but it sounds like a woman's name, you know, like...that Manson guy...whats his name?" I said "Marilyn Manson?" shes like "yeah!...he's kinda like that." I was like "no he's not." she said "but you know...they both have girls names, and theyre both like...ya know, alternative or whatever..." I was like "its not a girls name, it's his last name." shes like "but you know what im sayin right?" I said. "no, not really." and then I walked away.

i felt bad, cuz i probably came off like a bitch, and she's nice, but goddamn, she was clueless...

Tags
jealousy
Back
Top Bottom