Dog on a Chain review in Record Collector - 2/5

For reasons best known to themselves, Record Collector got the world's #1 Morrissey-hating journalist to review the new album. David Quantocks, who I believe was even once sued by Morrissey and forced to write a grovelling apology, gives it 2/5. In all fairness, he does quote an appalling lyric about geese and a niece which I'm hoping he mis-heard or made up. Haven't bought the mag so can't scan and attach.

Scan provided by Famous when dead in the comments.

Last edited by a moderator:
Really, only ??? .I preorder 3 Lps Red vinyl,3 white vinyl ,3 cassetes.Oh my gosh i spent a lot of money and now i want to commit suicide.At least i didn't preorder the cd and black vinyl,thank you David Quantshit.Strange, the 3 songs are very good,so the other 8 have only ? ?

As if a blinkered acolyte is going to give you an accurate and truthful response. All they want to do is deflect.
It is so obvious that your issue is not with racism but with Morrissey. You want to dress it up and that seems like a good way to do it. But if you weren't mentally ill you would spend your time doing something to bring about equality.
You're just masturbating on here every day and it's ridiculous.

I seriously want you to consider this. Imagine yourself talking to an unbiased professional about your activities on here. Can you imagine any scenario where they would tell you that your behavior is healthy and indicative of a rational and well balanced man?
In fact you would never do this because you KNOW how it would sound.

Real shame, this, given how Record Collector is mainly read by Morrissey's key audience of eBay sellers.

Went ahead and sent a interestin' inquiry to Paul L., the editor of Record Collector.
Wondered why they let a biased guy do a record review.
Ya gotta figure that if that's their style, then ya gotta question any of the reviews they do.
Trust me, is wasn't no kind of nasty inquiry or nothin' like that.
Just thought it would be interestin' to find what the really real deal is.
You're wasting your time. This thing goes right to the top.

Dave spent an entire day on Twitter trying to get a #Moztits hashtag trending where he & other people piled-on with homophobic, transphobic, ageist & lookist comments about Moz's body so he can take any anti-bigotry moral high-ground he thinks he's got & piss off.
I did not.

Leave it to Morrissey to attack his own fans: At a gig Monday night in Bradford, England, the former Smiths frontman and his band took the stage for an encore of “This Charming Man” wearing matching black T-shirts emblazoned with an all-caps declaration, “f*** MORRISSEY-SOLO.COM.”

Moz’s shirt — seen above in a photo that was found on Facebook and reposted, naturally, on Morrissey-solo.com — is only the latest salvo against the long-running fansite, which the singer frequently derides as “Morrissey-so-low” in the snide missives he occasionally sends to a different fansite — True To You, which, at this point, carries more actual news from the singer than his own oft-neglected official site.
Attacking this site is not attacking "the fans." And why are you suddenly posting all this like it's #BreakingNews ?

It doesn’t matter how pretty you make bad lyrics sound...they’re still bad lyrics.

He used to be known for good, well thought lyrics. Why is it a surprise he’s judged harshly on his words after he’s declared himself a “poet” for so many years?
I think it's okay that the sound of the words and the delivery have become more the point. Rock lyrics are not poetry. They are about the sounds sometimes more than the meanings of the words.
I remember when the lyrics from Years Of Refusal were posted on this site before the record was released. I thought they were horrible. I like things like Maladjusted and Late Night, Maudlin Street and I wish he did things like that now. But when the record came out the lyrics worked.

I think it's okay that the sound of the words and the delivery have become more the point. Rock lyrics are not poetry. They are about the sounds sometimes more than the meanings of the words.
I remember when the lyrics from Years Of Refusal were posted on this site before the record was released. I thought they were horrible. I like things like Maladjusted and Late Night, Maudlin Street and I wish he did things like that now. But when the record came out the lyrics worked.

Sounding acceptable as part of the song isn’t the same as the lyrics working.

Dr. Seuss and current Morrissey are as talented “poets” as someone who scribbles dirty limericks on the shithouse walls.
When I was in high school the newspaper adviser said my "music column" reminded him of something you would read on the shithouse wall," so thank you for bringing that memory back.

Liking all the people who cheered the other reviews not liking this one. You know, when you want the buying public to part with their money for something, you put it out there and some people like it, and some people don't. And now you're crying over it. Well boo hoo. Stop being vicariously upset about something you HAVEN'T EVEN HEARD YET.
Spot on, like usual.

Tags
i am not a dog on a chain review

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom