Don't you people ever get tired of this?

noooo, that's the problem though gerrit, rather than inspiring me with words, i think all my reading has depleted me of them! because, see, ive been reading so much that now im in "reading mode" and cant write a single line. in order to get back into "message board mode" i would probably need to spend a whole afternoon here just doing nothing but making little replies here and there. but what a waste of time that would be! william s. burroughs said the word is a virus, and that's true. the more i post, the more i want to post. but when i dont post at all, suddenly it seems impossible to post anything. (by the way, on the subject of william s. burroughs, i bought naked lunch. is it just me or is this a rather difficult read?)

im sure that i will like requiem! im wanting to read more biographies of people lately. i want to find ones on egon schiele and camille claudel as well. i like how biographies tell you not just about the person but also about the time in which they lived. as for pasolini, i could see how he could become an obsession.

ha, rifkean, i like the sound of that! :p

The important thing is you said you were in a reading mode. You read a lot lately and still do.
That is so great! It means your mind is consuming it and all relevant information to you as a person is being stacked away in your memory. And in time, when you feel suddenly the urge to write again it will be at your disposal and you will use it. It is just a phase. Now you're in a reading phase and you are apparently able to read a lot of books. I know that phase. When I was in my thirty something years I literary consumed complete ouevres of writers in a couple of weeks. Later almost all of that I reread.

So don't write if you don't feel like it cause you're still in reading mode.
Like the remark of Burroughs. Words are a virus but I wouldn't rate that as negative.
About The Naked Lunch I agree totally with you. You need more time to get that. Just lay it aside.
You can allways pick it up later again. I still have books I have to read. And to reread.
I couldn't get through Ulysses by James Joyce, and Finnegan's Wake.

At the moment I am wrestling myself through Oblomov by Gontjarev.
No, just kidding, like it very much.

He is a kind of romantic hero to me living in Russia in the feodal tsjaristic times, before the Russian revolution. You know the times when the rich landowners could send their workers and farmers on their land to the nearby police station with a note and 10 Rouble (or Ruble) saying: Give my ranch hand or farmerboy 15 or 20 strokes with the stick. He didn't have to punish him himself for making a mistake or something like that. It was just business as usual.
The farmerboy or ranch hand just went cause he was like an asset, a commodity and completely in ownership of the landlord.
And of course he didn't complain.

Oblomov is romantic, lazy and funny. And although everybody in his social environment is very busy with politics and money and burocratic hassle with lawyers, notaries etc. he seems more concerned about the wellbeing of his mistresses and the children he has with them. Of course he gets into all kind of money problems and more important to him problems of love and affection.
He enjoys food, drinks and nature and has his kipper on the sofa at any time he thinks convenient which is many times. He is lazy but funny, as I said.
Yes, I feel some pride by inventing the term Rifkean, ha. :p

The important thing is you said you were in a reading mode. You read a lot lately and still do.
That is so great! It means your mind is consuming it and all relevant information to you as a person is being stacked away in your memory. And in time, when you feel suddenly the urge to write again it will be at your disposal and you will use it. It is just a phase. Now you're in a reading phase and you are apparently able to read a lot of books. I know that phase. When I was in my thirty something years I literary consumed complete ouevres of writers in a couple of weeks. Later almost all of that I reread.

So don't write if you don't feel like it cause you're still in reading mode.
Like the remark of Burroughs. Words are a virus but I wouldn't rate that as negative.
About The Naked Lunch I agree totally with you. You need more time to get that. Just lay it aside.
You can allways pick it up later again. I still have books I have to read. And to reread.
I couldn't get through Ulysses by James Joyce, and Finnegan's Wake.

At the moment I am wrestling myself through Oblomov by Gontjarev.
No, just kidding, like it very much.

He is a kind of romantic hero to me living in Russia in the feodal tsjaristic times, before the Russian revolution. You know the times when the rich landowners could send their workers and farmers on their land to the nearby police station with a note and 10 Rouble (or Ruble) saying: Give my ranch hand or farmerboy 15 or 20 strokes with the stick. He didn't have to punish him himself for making a mistake or something like that. It was just business as usual.
The farmerboy or ranch hand just went cause he was like an asset, a commodity and completely in ownership of the landlord.
And of course he didn't complain.

Oblomov is romantic, lazy and funny. And although everybody in his social environment is very busy with politics and money and burocratic hassle with lawyers, notaries etc. he seems more concerned about the wellbeing of his mistresses and the children he has with them. Of course he gets into all kind of money problems and more important to him problems of love and affection.
He enjoys food, drinks and nature and has his kipper on the sofa at any time he thinks convenient which is many times. He is lazy but funny, as I said.
Yes, I feel some pride by inventing the term Rifkean, ha. :p
well, when it comes to reading my concentration comes and goes. sometimes ill be able to read for hours and be fully conscious of every word, and other times ill spend ten minutes going over one paragraph, my concentration seeming to be in a million fragments, and me trying to will those fragments to come together so that i can focus. it's very frustrating. i wonder if other people have this problem. do you ever have days like that? i see people at work who read on their breaks with all kinds of noise around them, and i just know i could never do that. sometimes ill pretend to read a book at work though if it's one i want to show off that im reading :p

no, no, it's absolutely a good thing that the word is a virus. it means the more you talk or the more you write, the more you will have to say. the only problem is that after a while, when words start to come to me too easily i lose my ability to discern and start to think all of them are brilliant indiscriminately based on how easily they came to me :D i think i will come back to naked lunch after i've read my huge stack of other books im wanting to read, as im not very enthused about it at the moment. i got through half of ulysses, i didnt find it to be a hard read, just a little boring. but at the same time it was interesting because--with the aid of the footnotes--i learned so much because of the constant historical references. some of it was funny too, the parts where the characters were slagging off shakespeares wife for instance-- i found that amusing. i do mean to finish it one day, if for no other reason than to be able to say i read it.

i have never heard of this oblamov by gontjarev. is it fiction? i really love russian history, but i dont know that much about it! sounds interesting.

by the way, just an update on grocery moz: i found his youtube channel. let's just say, i'm a little disturbed. he likes to videotape himself: walking around downtown, running, getting dressed--i mean, he likes to videotape himself a LOT. it's a bit icky. i'm so disillusioned.

well, when it comes to reading my concentration comes and goes. sometimes ill be able to read for hours and be fully conscious of every word, and other times ill spend ten minutes going over one paragraph, my concentration seeming to be in a million fragments, and me trying to will those fragments to come together so that i can focus. it's very frustrating. i wonder if other people have this problem. do you ever have days like that? i see people at work who read on their breaks with all kinds of noise around them, and i just know i could never do that. sometimes ill pretend to read a book at work though if it's one i want to show off that im reading :p

no, no, it's absolutely a good thing that the word is a virus. it means the more you talk or the more you write, the more you will have to say. the only problem is that after a while, when words start to come to me too easily i lose my ability to discern and start to think all of them are brilliant indiscriminately based on how easily they came to me :D i think i will come back to naked lunch after i've read my huge stack of other books im wanting to read, as im not very enthused about it at the moment. i got through half of ulysses, i didnt find it to be a hard read, just a little boring. but at the same time it was interesting because--with the aid of the footnotes--i learned so much because of the constant historical references. some of it was funny too, the parts where the characters were slagging off shakespeares wife for instance-- i found that amusing. i do mean to finish it one day, if for no other reason than to be able to say i read it.

i have never heard of this oblamov by gontjarev. is it fiction? i really love russian history, but i dont know that much about it! sounds interesting.

by the way, just an update on grocery moz: i found his youtube channel. let's just say, i'm a little disturbed. he likes to videotape himself: walking around downtown, running, getting dressed--i mean, he likes to videotape himself a LOT. it's a bit icky. i'm so disillusioned.

Hi Rifke,
About your reading problems: I have exactly the same issues.
I'm very easily distracted and can only enjoy reading when I'm alone, in my own house and without other things that need my direct attention. To be able to focus on what I'm reading it has to be quite in my house, no music, no tv. When I have to divide my attention to other things happening around me I get really frustrated too. It spoils the enjoyment to read. Sometimes I stop reading then and do other things.
Many times boring things compared to reading but they have to be done.
It's strange though that I can't listen and enjoy music though as a replacement.
When I want to read I really want it and it's the same with music.

I like it that you sometimes pretend to read a book by showing off, ha.
It's an innocent, secret, and very private enjoyment, which are allways the most pleasant ones and you're not hurting anyone. And, who knows maybe you keep some people away from you that you're not to fond of. I mean the philistines that hurt you by just being themselves.

About Oblomov, it is fiction. It's a novel and belongs to the great Russian classical novels as written by Tolstoy, Turgenev, Tjechov and many others. It is a famous book. The best from Gontjarev.
When you are interested in the history of that time and place it gives many details of people, their habits and society.

Grocery Moz is so funny, the way you describe him!
He is soooo vain and so completely absorbed by himself he seems to forget there are other people too that could be interesting or even more interesting than himself.
But at the same time he still can be a charming and nice guy. Don't you think?
Maybe it is just an innocent, maybe child-like behavior?
And it is not uncommon nowadays as I'm sure you will know.
So many people are doing it. I don't.
Sign of the times?
As Moz once said I wouldn't mind living in another time.
The time before the electric light.
To read a book by candlelight, ha.

Hi Rifke,
About your reading problems: I have exactly the same issues.
I'm very easily distracted and can only enjoy reading when I'm alone, in my own house and without other things that need my direct attention. To be able to focus on what I'm reading it has to be quite in my house, no music, no tv. When I have to divide my attention to other things happening around me I get really frustrated too. It spoils the enjoyment to read. Sometimes I stop reading then and do other things.
Many times boring things compared to reading but they have to be done.
It's strange though that I can't listen and enjoy music though as a replacement.
When I want to read I really want it and it's the same with music.

I like it that you sometimes pretend to read a book by showing off, ha.
It's an innocent, secret, and very private enjoyment, which are allways the most pleasant ones and you're not hurting anyone. And, who knows maybe you keep some people away from you that you're not to fond of. I mean the philistines that hurt you by just being themselves.

About Oblomov, it is fiction. It's a novel and belongs to the great Russian classical novels as written by Tolstoy, Turgenev, Tjechov and many others. It is a famous book. The best from Gontjarev.
When you are interested in the history of that time and place it gives many details of people, their habits and society.

Grocery Moz is so funny, the way you describe him!
He is soooo vain and so completely absorbed by himself he seems to forget there are other people too that could be interesting or even more interesting than himself.
But at the same time he still can be a charming and nice guy. Don't you think?
Maybe it is just an innocent, maybe child-like behavior?
And it is not uncommon nowadays as I'm sure you will know.
So many people are doing it. I don't.
Sign of the times?
As Moz once said I wouldn't mind living in another time.
The time before the electric light.
To read a book by candlelight, ha.
oh gosh, how i wish i lived in another time! back before electricity but also maybe before people knew anything of the world outside of their own little village. not only do the people of today make me sick, but i hate science too, and the idea of the universe stretching out for ever and this idea of always striving for more, which essentially does nothing but change what it means to be human. in the future maybe everyone will have everything they ever wanted but what's the point when they wont even know themselves anymore? the peasants in the middle ages who worked the fields didnt have that problem, they knew who they were and they knew what they had to do to get through each day, and they just did it. how i envy them. i suppose grocery moz is still a nice charming person and in time i might get over the feeling of wanting to puke whenever i think about him and his videos, but for now, that's how it stands, and i just wanted to let you know!

i really want to get better acquainted with the russians. so far all ive read is the brothers karamazov and anna karenina, so im quite impoverished in that area. i will put oblamov on my reading list, since you reccommend it!

Dear Rifke, I am still here.
I thought at a certain moment it was better to leave you alone, just a bit.
I had this feeling you might feel uncomfortable as I was posting and communicating a lot with you.
I just don't want to make you feel uneasy about it.

But you know I still like you a lot and I feel attracted cause you are a girl that can make me laugh.
Intended or not.
I just want to say, I am still right here,
Where I always was (well almost)
Do you recognize this line?
From The Loop? By Moz?
I don't have the same feeling that you have about Moz and the Smiths. I mean that the subject has been exhausted and the novelty has worn off.
But I do understand. It comes and goes but I still find interesting stuff about him. And The Smiths. Allways here at this site. Nowhere else. The music, outtakes, different versions that for instance IR has shared are fabulous and gives insights in how the music, and the lyrics existed in certain stages before they were released.

Maybe I am a bit more obsessed cause he is such an intriguing person.
Love you! :o
She's moved onto where she always belonged - Spinsters Anonymous.

oh gosh, how i wish i lived in another time! back before electricity but also maybe before people knew anything of the world outside of their own little village. not only do the people of today make me sick, but i hate science too, and the idea of the universe stretching out for ever and this idea of always striving for more, which essentially does nothing but change what it means to be human. in the future maybe everyone will have everything they ever wanted but what's the point when they wont even know themselves anymore? the peasants in the middle ages who worked the fields didnt have that problem, they knew who they were and they knew what they had to do to get through each day, and they just did it. how i envy them. i suppose grocery moz is still a nice charming person and in time i might get over the feeling of wanting to puke whenever i think about him and his videos, but for now, that's how it stands, and i just wanted to let you know!

i really want to get better acquainted with the russians. so far all ive read is the brothers karamazov and anna karenina, so im quite impoverished in that area. i will put oblamov on my reading list, since you reccommend it!

But at least there are books and films and documentaries about the past and there can be a magic moment when your mind experiences them.
Fantasy and imagination can do the time travel.
You don't hate science itself but the idea of the universe stretching out forever.
And I know to well the idea of all people all wanting everything makes you miserable but the idea NOT everybody is like that should comfort you.

It's not true to say you are impoverished in that area if you read the brothers Karamazov and Anna Karenina. Just two brilliant novels.
You can't read all books in the short period of time available for a human being.

When the writer Jorge Luis Borges was being appointed as head of the National Library in Argentine his genetical eye disease made him blind and he couldn't read the books in his library.
The anecdote is he didn't needed cause he already read them and he even developed his linguistic talent by learning many other languages as old English, old Icelandic etc. when he was blind!

He could recite many complete poems from out of his memory.
Cheers Rifke

Back
Top Bottom