Download campaign to give Moz a #1 song -- Can it work like it worked for Rage?

Stupid idea. It's more likely to be embarrassing for Morrissey than anything else. All those loony rabid obsessive Morrissey fans...

honestly, anyone who worries about Morrissey's pop chart positions these days - at age 50 - should have their head examined.

(Morrissey included)

Honestly, I think he should be able to do it on his own with a good song..:blushing:

This kinda just seems like charity to me. And as Bob Geldof has shown us, pop music has nothing to do with charity. :guitar:

Dave=genius

The charts themselves may be meaningless but whatever hits #1 still gets ink in the press, especially in a case like this (though do we really need more badly written articles about our Moz?). Despite the highly manufactured nature of Rage's win there's an element of revolution to it -- like spray painting graffiti over what "should" be #1 at Christmas.

It's not about obsessing over chart positions -- I'd just like to see Morrissey's name at the top of the charts to confuse the hell out of people and flip the bird to the aging music journos and "cultural commenters" that think Morrissey is way past his expiry date just because they are.

Love Life is a Pigsty but didn't think it was a good choice for the first attempt. Even if you don't like Rage, it's not hard to get behind a song that yells "f*** you, I won't do what you tell me!"

. And then do EXACTLY as someone on Facebook tells you to ??.....ermmm....

Facebook is Currently swimming with people now who have took this idea, and are trying to "Run" with it.....it's got boring already.....
Sex pistols to no #1 for HRH Birthday in 2010.....etc....( as if we all don't know that the Charts were "fixed", way back in 1977 to prevent it happening to mar the Silver Jubilee Celebrations....Yawn....)
If Morrissey DID release a single that was Catchy or Hummable enough to get some media attention, in 2010 in its own right, maybe just maybe, such a campaign could work....But ( Apologies to whoever posted it earlier...) I too would Not pay out money for just any old track.

Which has just given me an idea for a new thread...
Lets get "Everyday is like Christmas day" to No# 1.....Now, all we need are some Festive lyrics......

"Trudging slowly over wet sleet...
Back to the bus-stop bench,
where your Bag of prezzies were stolen....."

Ker- Chingg!!! ...as Wizzard once said...

Last edited:
It's not about obsessing over chart positions -- I'd just like to see Morrissey's name at the top of the charts to confuse the hell out of people and flip the bird to the aging music journos and "cultural commenters" that think Morrissey is way past his expiry date just because they are.

Disagree strongly. What it would show is that a lot of Morrissey fans have too much time on their hands.

If Morrissey comes back with an amazing single that smashes into the top spot THAT is impressive - a campaign to get an old song there means nothing.

Downloading a track and posting a message or tweet takes time? 10 minutes tops.

The problem is so many Morrissey fans (a disproportionate amount on here?) moan about the new singles and go on and on about what once was. I don't have that problem -- I love it all -- but it's more realistic to get a track that everyone worships into the charts. EDILS, for example.

Though I'm pretty sure Morrissey himself would rather his latest song get to #1 than an old one, but in the current climate and his position in the music "business" it would be very difficult.

In any case my original post was mainly hypothetical, but if someone wants to lead the charge...

Disagree strongly. What it would show is that a lot of Morrissey fans have too much time on their hands.

If Morrissey comes back with an amazing single that smashes into the top spot THAT is impressive - a campaign to get an old song there means nothing.

I really don't think Morrissey would lower himself to go to his 'chums' such as Wossy and ask him to organise a campaign to get him to number one.
I think some people on here want this more than Morrissey probably does...... and when was the last UK single he released that sold 150,000 copies to his 150,000 hard core fan base that you mention?

Jukebox Jury

I don't know the sales figures for IBEH. However, I do think the absolute low water mark for Morrissey is around 70 000 for a substantive release in the UK. That doesn't iclude awful singles, poorly-promoted b-sides albums and so forth. Those are the kinds of figures 'Maladjusted' achieved. Any lead-off single of medocre quality is likely to manage something close to this figure if reasonably promoted.

A high quality single, heavily promoted on TV and a campaign to 'reclaim' the charts for serious music rather than the R&B/rap/electro-pop/x factor MOR nonsense would bring out a lot of less committed Morrissey/indie fans and would probably gain a momentum all of its own. I actually think Morrissey would find the idea amusing and appealing for the reason that it would be quite subversive. Especially if the song has a Christmas-in-Morrisseyworld theme!

I don't know the sales figures for IBEH. However, I do think the absolute low water mark for Morrissey is around 70 000 for a substantive release in the UK. That doesn't iclude awful singles, poorly-promoted b-sides albums and so forth. Those are the kinds of figures 'Maladjusted' achieved. Any lead-off single of medocre quality is likely to manage something close to this figure if reasonably promoted.

Modern day Morrissey singles don't sell anywhere near 70,000. First of the Gang might have got close to 40,000 (with IBEH and YHKM a little less) but recent singles won't have even sold 20,000 - many less than 10,000.
Moz has really suffered from the download era (his singles do ok in the 'physical' chart) which really just reflects the age of the average Moz fan...

Modern day Morrissey singles don't sell anywhere near 70,000. First of the Gang might have got close to 40,000 (with IBEH and YHKM a little less) but recent singles won't have even sold 20,000 - many less than 10,000.
Moz has really suffered from the download era (his singles do ok in the 'physical' chart) which really just reflects the age of the average Moz fan...

Have you got a link to that? I find it difficult to believe that Irish Blood, English Heart sold 'less than' 40 000. It may be true but I'm very surprised.

Re: For your interest

Can it be Something is my skull, that'll cheer ol' Mozzy up. Someone research the slowest week in the charts, i'm thinking it might be Jan, 'pparently everyone does nothing in Jan. Also, the lowest amount of sale likely to grab a number 1. Oh, and it need to cost about 2p. I'm optimistic about this.

Re: For your interest

These are just first-week sales.
Having said that, most of Morrissey's singles sales (around 80% at a guess) would come in first week as his singles normally go flying out the chart within a fortnight. The only exception in recent years is First of the Gang which stayed top 20 for about 4 weeks and top 40 for about 6 or 7 so may well have outsold Irish Blood.

Back
Top Bottom