Drift Records Totnes on Record Store Day and Morrissey

Uncleskinny

It's all good
Subscriber
JA6K1aj.jpg

I foresee that there shall be wailing and gnashing of teeth on this thread in 5...4...3...2...1...

I foresee that there shall be wailing and gnashing of teeth on this thread in 5...4...3...2...1...
I know, I know - all those proponents of personal freedoms will be on here decrying the rights of a private business to do what they want. Here they come...

I know, I know - all those proponents of personal freedoms will be on her decrying the rights of a private business to do what they want. Here they come...
And I'm sure that they will be crossing Totnes off their list of potential holiday destinations. After they've looked up on a map where it is.

great to see the independent record shops of Britain saying "no" to Morrissey

The hatred for Steve Morrissey in tbe indie World is phenomenal. If the indie world turned on gary Barlow or edward sheeran it wouldn't really matter.but the problem for Steve is that the indie world is pretty much his entire world. Maybe it's time for him to formally retract his support for far right political groups, and rue the day he idiotically chose to publicly endorse them in the first place. Possibly, the single most foolish thing a pop star has ever done.

They had already lampooned him in their shop window 3 years ago (see below).
They are entitled to stock who they like, and believe what they like - that said, putting a political stance on public display isn't necessarily the best way to conduct business given anyone entering the shop may have differing views and alienating customers isn’t a great start.
I'd also suggest, so they are not hypocrites, that they go through their entire stock and vet every person who has contributed to any album incase they match their 'Morrissey' criteria, else it looks like a signalling exercise rather than a moral stand.
Regards,
FWD.

They are entitled to stock who they like, and believe what they like - that said, putting a political stance on public display isn't necessarily the best way to conduct business given anyone entering the shop may have differing views and alienating customers isn’t a great start.
I'd also suggest, so they are not hypocrites, that they go through their entire stock and vet every person who has contributed to any album incase they match their 'Morrissey' criteria, else it looks like a signalling exercise rather than a moral stand.
Regards,
FWD.

I disagree, strongly. There will be those applauding theier stance and giving them business on the back of it, and I would suggest the number of Morrissey records they may hav sold will be far outweighed by the extra business they get. And on your secondary point of going through other artists - how many other artists do you know in the RSD list that have publicly backed far-right groups (inter alia)?

they can do whatever they want but it seems quite pathetic, but so are"Uncle Skinny" and the anonymous trolls so it sits quite well.

I disagree, strongly. There will be those applauding theier stance and giving them business on the back of it, and I would suggest the number of Morrissey records they may hav sold will be far outweighed by the extra business they get. And on your secondary point of going through other artists - how many other artists do you know in the RSD list that have publicly backed far-right groups (inter alia)?
Paedo Bowie seems to be acceptable.

Regards,
FWD.

Morrissey himself has put a political stance on public display

I don't believe either of our points are mutually exclusive. I think that if someone's view is that offensive to the owner, due diligence and basic logic should dictate holding all musicians to the same level of account - all, not just for events, but all. Exactly the same as 'I won't shop at X because they stock Y' - well wherever else you shop better not stock Y either had they?
You know I don't get involved in the left/right back and forth here - that horse has been flogged many, many times. I would say, though, democratically electable parties that have paid a fee to exist, passed/met the Electoral Commission rules and are thereby given legitimacy regardless of perceived extremes (either direction) is the actual real issue here. If those parties are 'so' far left or right as to be extremist (aka 'dangerous') - why, in a democracy, are they given the right to exist? That process needs far more scrutiny than any individual choosing who they give their support to maybe?
Isn't the idea that nobody votes for them if they are so clearly 'extreme' and they never get traction - which is democracy in the first place?
As for the cartoon, 'Brexit' was repeatedly described as splitting the country in half. As a shop, 'taking a bold stand' is fine and dandy, but potentially halving your customer base by putting their backs up is plain daft (and yes, I get it might be a leave or remain 'area', but the point still stands).
Regards,
FWD.

I don't believe either of our points are mutually exclusive. I think that if someone's view is that offensive to the owner, due diligence and basic logic should dictate holding all musicians to the same level of account - all, not just for events, but all. Exactly the same as 'I won't shop at X because they stock Y' - well wherever else you shop better not stock Y either had they?
You know I don't get involved in the left/right back and forth here - that horse has been flogged many, many times. I would say, though, democratically electable parties that have paid a fee to exist, passed/met the Electoral Commission rules and are thereby given legitimacy regardless of perceived extremes (either direction) is the actual real issue here. If those parties are 'so' far left or right as to be extremist (aka 'dangerous') - why, in a democracy, are they given the right to exist? That process needs far more scrutiny than any individual choosing who they give their support to maybe?
Isn't the idea that nobody votes for them if they are so clearly 'extreme' and they never get traction - which is democracy in the first place?
As for the cartoon, 'Brexit' was repeatedly described as splitting the country in half. As a shop, 'taking a bold stand' is fine and dandy, but potentially halving your customer base by putting their backs up is plain daft (and yes, I get it might be a leave or remain 'area', but the point still stands).
Regards,
FWD.
The Owen Jones-type that skinny subscribed to describe centre-right as ‘hard right’, so in their mind all ‘right’ thinking is extreme. Nobody has to vote for them as you say, and Skinny wants to cancel Morrissey. Why do shops and businesses have to have political views now? Ben and Jerry’s? It’ll be like America before long where everything is either right or left. Because of people like Skinny. If a shop wanted to ban a leftie like Billy Bragg for political reasons I would think that would be equally mad.
Has Morrissey actually harmed anyone? Why is he linked in with R Kelly? Why is Eric Clapton a hero given his views - expressed publically - on race. Because people can’t live without him.

Let’s take ourselves back a few years to “I’m thinking of doing another T-shirt”
This was skinny designing a rather crap Morrissey T-shirt. Bombarding Simon Goddard to use a “non-copyright” image to put on the T-shirt. How times change eh.

Hating Morrissey is trendy. Hating Bowie isn't.

It's 2020, do keep up.
Totally disagree and don't actually understand your assessment that "Hating Morrissey is trendy"...what does that even mean? It's trendy to hate someone?

Totally disagree and don't actually understand your assessment that "Hating Morrissey is trendy"...what does that even mean? It's trendy to hate someone?

It's become cliche to hate Morrissey. Many people do it just for social media likes and virtual pats on the back.

The NME, discredited as they are, have been doing it for decades and have invariably ended up with egg on their face.

It's become cliche to hate Morrissey. Many people do it just for social media likes and virtual pats on the back.

The NME, discredited as they are, have been doing it for decades and have invariably ended up with egg on their face.
Absolutely pathetic if that is true. I don't engage with unsocial media.

Back
Top Bottom