Dutch Queen is Dead white label query

Does anyone own a copy of the above?? I recently bought a nice bundle of Smiths white labels from a Discogs seller but I have a question that needs answering. When you look closely at the white label you can see that it is an old label that has been turned over and pressed onto the vinyl, leaving a feint glimpse of the old print underneath. It is very slight so was just asking if anyone else had this record to check. I have spoken via email to a prominent collector and he sees no reason why they wouldn't be genuine. Who is going to go to the trouble of trying to fake such a completist item when there would be a very limited market? The seller worked for Boudisque back in the day, they owned Megadisc. The records were pressed at the CBS(SONY) plant in Holland so maybe this was common practice. I have seen this re-use of old labels before on some Oasis test pressings. Anyone with any useful insight? The fact I got some other great items from him leads me to think they must be good but you never know.

Last edited:
Re: Dutch Queen is Dead white label query.

from PJLM "Fifty white labels of the Dutch LP were sent to a promoter in anticipation of the appearance of the Smiths at Pinkpop. When Morrissey discovered that the festival was promoted by McDonalds, the gig was canceled and the test pressings were never used. They ended up being sold on Ebay in 2005. The records have white labels and are slipped inside plain white inner sleeve-type bags"

Thank you for that, I am aware of these and I'm 99% sure mine is one of these. A collector that I know has a Dutch QID white label but his has etched matrix info and pure white labels. I'm thinking his is an actual test pressing, perhaps one of just a handful. The one I have has stamped matrix info and the seller was a previous employee that gave good answers to any questions and had other prized Smiths white labels in his possession. I bought the 3 copies of this record he had and have already sold two to private collectors that were happy with what they were buying so any doubt's I had seem unfounded. In fact, if anyone was going to the trouble to fake a white label then surely they would use clean labels and not re-use some old ones. I think it would be nearly impossible to do anyway and get the clean finish you get from a factory pressed label.

I can happily confirm that the record with "inside out" white labels is most likely to be genuine. I have a number of these in my record collection. It was common practice amongst small independent record companies back in the day (and possibly still is, today). The indie labels tended to use their test pressings for promotional purposes as well. They generally couldn't afford to waste anything.

I to have many (none Smiths) White labels with "inside out" labels. The print sometimes shows through. Sounds perfectly genuine to me.

Hey I bought the barbarism 12" from the same seller on Discogs, and the labels too had mirrored backwards print that was very feint. The " All rights of the producers" and so on....that is on the outer ring of the label was all that was that I could make out . The matrix checks out. I think these test pressing were used as promos too as it is written on the white lable promo only copy

Hey I bought the barbarism 12" from the same seller on Discogs, and the labels too had mirrored backwards print that was very feint. The " All rights of the producers" and so on....that is on the outer ring of the label was all that was that I could make out . The matrix checks out. I think these test pressing were used as promos too as it is written on the white lable promo only copy

Thank you for the feedback, I was always pretty sure they were good but nice to hear other opinions. As for the Barbarism 12"...you bought the one with writing and I got the clean label one but this too did have some feint trace of an old label. As you say though, the matrix info checked out perfectly with that of the test pressing and not of the promo/German versions.

Does anyone own a copy of the above?? I recently bought a nice bundle of Smiths white labels from a Discogs seller but I have a question that needs answering. When you look closely at the white label you can see that it is an old label that has been turned over and pressed onto the vinyl, leaving a feint glimpse of the old print underneath. It is very slight so was just asking if anyone else had this record to check. I have spoken via email to a prominent collector and he sees no reason why they wouldn't be genuine. Who is going to go to the trouble of trying to fake such a completist item when there would be a very limited market? The seller worked for Boudisque back in the day, they owned Megadisc. The records were pressed at the CBS(SONY) plant in Holland so maybe this was common practice. I have seen this re-use of old labels before on some Oasis test pressings. Anyone with any useful insight? The fact I got some other great items from him leads me to think they must be good but you never know.

My copy is exactly like yours. I bought it from the seller who sold all copies on eBay back in 2005.

Take care, Marcel

Back
Top Bottom