Alsatian Cousin
Little Man, What Now?
Everyday Is Like Sunday
The World Is Full Of Crashing Bores
Meat Is Murder
Speedway
November Spawned A Monster
/There Is A Light That Never Goes Out
The second appearance by Morrissey at Japan's Summer Sonic Festival was another success. Security was still very tight and no one made it on stage. Morrissey was still talkative and in a playful mood, teasing his fans by caressing himself as he did elsewhere. He occasionally adressed the crowd with a few words in Japanese, like "Hai!" ("yes") or "Sayonara!" ("goodbye"). Morrissey entered stage to the sound of bells and greeted his fans "Good morning, Tokyo!", then "Hello, we are what's left of Morrissey!". After the first song, he continued "We are typhoon number fourteen, and we have some nasty songs from England England England!".
After "Suedehead" he continued the sexual teasing with "Thank you, you are a good lay!". After "Jack The Ripper", Morrissey replied to shouts from the audience: "Did you say 'Irish Blood, English Heart'? Very clever... you've obviously come from Plastor or somewhere... Catford... Oh my God! And you're still alive?". After new song "I Like You" Morrissey asked his fans if they liked the song and got a reply that prompted the response "You like my arse? Thank you!". Then, in a growling American accent, "Hey, you're really macho, man!".

In "Alsatian Cousin" he mistakenly (or purposely?) switched the first two verses. He also graphically mimed to the line "On the canvas with your legs open wide, like this" with his arms, something which fans much have found funny as he enquire "Why is everybody smiling?". New track "The World Is Full Of Crashing Bores" was introduced as "This song is called Boz". At the end of the song, for some strange reason, he exclaimed "Shazam!" and said, as if the fans were bored "You have great patience". He would often comment about the crowd's lack of enthusiasm with self-depreciating lines such as "So quiet in Tokyo!", "Oh you're still here" or "Your eyes are drooping... they are... they're drooping down".

"Meat Is Murder" was preceded by the short speech "Seafood? No! Sea life? Yes! Sushi? (disgusted noise)". The performance was still very dramatic, Morrissey ending up lying on stage as if dying. He then introduced his musicians "You know Boz... You know Gary... You know Dean... (acts as if he doesn't know Alain) Huh? You know Alain! (...) Who are you? (...) I am Morrissey!". After the slow intro to "Speedway", Morrissey shouted "Goodbye!" and pretended to leave the stage. Shortly after he said "Don't hold back... let it out, or... flatulence!". At some point he also said "Now is your turn to say something (fans shout various things) never mind!".

Before the last song, Morrissey thanked the fans who came to see him "We would like to say thank you to the people of Summer Sonic... we would like say thank you to you... and we would like to thank you to Elvis Presley, because there is a light that never goes out".

Back
Top Bottom