Electronic did a song from Marr to Moz?

PregnantForTheLastTime

Hideous trait.
Ok- I'm listening to XM Fred while I'm working. They just played "Well I Wonder" and followed it, as they often seem to, with something with Marr on it. In this case, it was Tighten Up by Electronic. As I listened, I realized these lyrics could easily have been a response to "I Won't Share You." Get this:

Tighten Up

It's never too late I heard you say
How can you turn and go away
I'm staking my claim to some degree
Don't bring the secret home to me
Better to live than to know
Better the noise that we love than hate
Remember the moments we've got
Whenever I feel like I'm in a state
There used to be a way but there ain't no more
Tell me why because we need it
I used to run away but I can't no more
'Cause I feel that I can beat it
How can we be free? We both need each other like
Sister and brother. You mean that much to me
Remember the moments we've left
I'm never gonna do what you want me to

I especially like, "Better the noise that we love than hate"

So... while it came a few years later... what do you think? I can't find any specific writing credits and my liner notes are packed away with my original CD. The only things I can find say that all the songs were collaborations between Marr/Sumner and sometimes Pet Shop Boy guy whose name escapes me.

Ok- I'm listening to XM Fred while I'm working. They just played "Well I Wonder" and followed it, as they often seem to, with something with Marr on it. In this case, it was Tighten Up by Electronic. As I listened, I realized these lyrics could easily have been a response to "I Won't Share You." Get this:

Tighten Up

It's never too late I heard you say
How can you turn and go away
I'm staking my claim to some degree
Don't bring the secret home to me
Remember the moments we've got
Tell me why because we need it
I used to run away but I can't no more
'Cause I feel that I can beat it
How can we be free? We both need each other like
Sister and brother. You mean that much to me
Remember the moments we've left
I'm never gonna do what you want me to

I especially like, "Better the noise that we love than hate"

So... while it came a few years later... what do you think? I can't find any specific writing credits and my liner notes are packed away with my original CD. The only things I can find say that all the songs were collaborations between Marr/Sumner and sometimes Pet Shop Boy guy whose name escapes me.

I bet Sumner wrote those lyrics...and I doubt it has anything to do with Morrissey...Next thing you'll be saying that "I Always thought of you as my brick Wall" in Get The Message is Marr To Morrissey

Neil Tennant did 3 songs with Electronic...Getting Away With It, Patience Of A Saint (With Chris Lowe Too)...and Disappointed

"Getting Away With It" was Marr's only message to Morrissey during Electronic IMO. It's from Morrissey's perspective, supposedly:

I've been walking in the rain just to get wet on purpose
I've been forcing myself not to forget just to feel worse
I've been getting away with it all my life (getting away)

However I look it's clear to see
That I love you more than you love me

I hate that mirror, it makes me feel so worthless
I'm an original sinner but when I'm with you I couldn't care less
I've been getting away with it all my life
Getting away with it all my life

I thought I gave up falling in love a long long time ago
I guess I like it but I can't tell you, you shouldn't really know
And it's been true all my life
Yes, it's been true all my life

I've been talking to myself just to suggest that I'm selfish
(Getting ahead)
I've been trying to impress that more is less and I'm repressed
(I should do what he said)

Getting away with it...

"Getting Away With It" was Marr's only message to Morrissey during Electronic IMO. It's from Morrissey's perspective, supposedly:

I've been getting away with it all my life (getting away)

However I look it's clear to see
That I love you more than you love me

I hate that mirror, it makes me feel so worthless
I'm an original sinner but when I'm with you I couldn't care less
Getting away with it all my life

I thought I gave up falling in love a long long time ago
I guess I like it but I can't tell you, you shouldn't really know
And it's been true all my life
Yes, it's been true all my life

I've been talking to myself just to suggest that I'm selfish
(Getting ahead)
I've been trying to impress that more is less and I'm repressed
(I should do what he said)

Getting away with it...

Uh yeah...Neil Tennant and Bernard Sumner had a hand in the lyrics..so I doubt it had anything to do With Morrissey

Get this:

Tighten Up

Interesting, I hadn't thought of it as a message from Marr before. One of my favorite Electronic songs, by the way.

I like your reading but I'm almost certain Sumner wrote most of the lyrics on the album, aside from the ones Neil Tennant clearly wrote ("Patience Of A Saint", which to me sounds like classic PSB). I don't think Marr was writing lyrics at that time and as a longtime Neworder fan I hear Sumner's voice in "Tighten Up", not Johnny's. I don't think Johnny would make Sumner sing a lament on his behalf.

Could be, though. You could also interpret "Some Distant Memory" the same way, with lines like "'It's so easy/Why are you leaving?'/It's just because I've grown afraid of you/I wish we were/At the beginning/It would be so great to be with you".

Interesting, I hadn't thought of it as a message from Marr before. One of my favorite Electronic songs, by the way.

I like your reading but I'm almost certain Sumner wrote most of the lyrics on the album, aside from the ones Neil Tennant clearly wrote ("Patience Of A Saint", which to me sounds like classic PSB). I don't think Marr was writing lyrics at that time and as a longtime Neworder fan I hear Sumner's voice in "Tighten Up", not Johnny's. I don't think Johnny would make Sumner sing a lament on his behalf.

Could be, though. You could also interpret "Some Distant Memory" the same way, with lines like "'It's so easy/Why are you leaving?'/It's just because I've grown afraid of you/I wish we were/At the beginning/It would be so great to be with you".

Some Distant Memory is my favorite from that CD...maybe my favorite Electronic song...love the oboe...it's quite saddening...

unless were erased by the meteor disco inferno. you pandy are gonna be chillaxing as an adullt! have fun at the gigs. pause for breath if you feel a touch of the loco.

Uh yeah...Neil Tennant and Bernard Sumner had a hand in the lyrics..so I doubt it had anything to do With Morrissey

Bernard hated Morrissey and wanted to "twat him" if they ever met. That being the case, I would think it was perfectly reasonable that he would pull out his pen to take the piss out of Morrissey ^

i doubt it has anything to do with morrissey,but i do recall,maybe i am wrong though,but didnt neil tennant say that he had been inspired by morrissey when he wrote "getting away with it"?

i could be wrong,it happens on a daily basis....

i doubt it has anything to do with morrissey,but i do recall,maybe i am wrong though,but didnt neil tennant say that he had been inspired by morrissey when he wrote "getting away with it"?

i could be wrong,it happens on a daily basis....

Neil Tennant denies that "How Can You Expect To Be Taken Seriously" is about Morrissey....Pet Shop Boys song from Behavior....

how about these apples : they wrote it for ME

cos for reals I ve been GETTING AWAY WITH EVERYTHING ALL MY LIFE!!!!!

Some Distant Memory is my favorite from that CD...maybe my favorite Electronic song...

Same here!

The album as a whole is amazing, actually. Underrated.

Anyone know any Healers songs that may be addressed to Morrissey?

(Er, does anyone actually own a Healers CD?)

Last edited:
i actually really like the record myself. i like the production and for that time it was pretty modern and different.

but i still maintain that getting away with it was written for me and me alone.

Neil Tennant denies that "How Can You Expect To Be Taken Seriously" is about Morrissey....Pet Shop Boys song from Behavior....

That one is supposed to be about George Michael, according to some article I read. Nothing about it seems like Morrissey. I thought it was directed at Sting when I heard it.

That one is supposed to be about George Michael, according to some article I read. Nothing about it seems like Morrissey. I thought it was directed at Sting when I heard it.

Oh yeah...I just remember Neil stating it was NOT about Morrissey..why anybody would think it was..is beyond me..

On their Alternative CD, they mention being at San Remo 87 and seeing Morrissey and him being nice and saying hello...

Actually in the Literally book, Neil claims it does. Fairly obvious too when you read the lyrics.

Back
Top Bottom