Elvis Costello slates Morrissey in Queens

Elvis Costello slated Morrissey tonight. He was saying something about how he wished the main, primary Elvis hadn't died because he would have made a killing covering 80s songs. But, he said, he couldn't imagine him covering Morrissey songs; he'd do better with Duran Duran, and he sang a bit of an impression of Presley singing a bit of "Rio." Such scorn.

Morrissey plays the same venue (well, maybe) 7 September. It'll be okay, you really can't smell the hotdog stand from the front rows.

UPDATE July 25:

Posted by docinwestchester:

I was there. Fun night:

Last edited by a moderator:
I was there. Fun night:

Speaking as a someone who will never see Morrissey again because of his stupid mouth of late, I have the following message to Elvis Costello (real name Declan McManus):-

You are a fraud. You accepted an honour from the Queen in the name of the British Empire. As a son of Ireland that is inexcusable. You think it an honour to be accepted for praise in the name of our old colonial masters, who starved our ancestors to death? And don’t hide behind your aged Mother. You have a brain in your head and have expressed views in the past that go entirely against what you’ve gone and done. Shame on you.
You say you will never see M again, yet you rather easily still come here... admit it, you still love our boy.....

Doesn’t sound like a slating, but Costello’s always had a bee in his bonnet about Morrissey. I wonder if it’s slight artistic jealousy as Moz drew heavily on his late 70s look - glasses and quiff - and probably acquired much of his fan base too.

Speaking as a someone who will never see Morrissey again because of his stupid mouth of late, I have the following message to Elvis Costello (real name Declan McManus):-

You are a fraud. You accepted an honour from the Queen in the name of the British Empire. As a son of Ireland that is inexcusable. You think it an honour to be accepted for praise in the name of our old colonial masters, who starved our ancestors to death? And don’t hide behind your aged Mother. You have a brain in your head and have expressed views in the past that go entirely against what you’ve gone and done. Shame on you.

Elvis was born in London, you fool.

Well he doesn't really slate Morrissey at all, at least I don't see it that way, it was quite funny actually. If anything, it just makes me think of how big Morrissey is in the US, I'd say probably more popular than ever.

The Wild T move woulda been for Frank Sinatra to do some Moz covers.
Francis Albert had the inner emphaty to open the emotional dimensions of Moz's words.
Yep, that's the one I wished woulda really happened.

"What I'm hearing is we couldn't live without him singing the hits of Morrissey" something close to that that! I don't think he was slating Moz at all!

The last time I seen him was in frasier he was doing a turn in the coffee shop, to be fair pump it up is one kick ass of a tune

There's more than a few Costello fans out there who think of Moz as the guy with the flowers in his back pocket wearing a hearing aid.

I feel sorry for them as they never gave Viva Hate it Vauxhall and I a spin. They don't know what they are missing. Opposite seems true of you, you've obviously never listened to when I was cruel or Monofuku by EC. Check them out you may be suprised.

I like both Moz and Elvis. I consider them the two prominent songwriters in my lifetime. It's true that EC has always been a little bitchy about Moz on occasion, I'm sure this latest one was his idea a joke that no one got. EC was famously said that Moz wrote the best song titles ever. But sometimes he forgets to write the song. I didn't agree with that but didn't stop.listening to Elvis. By the same token of I had to agree with everything Moz says to keep listening I would have stopped years ago.

Our minds are big enough to take on board other artists. When will the over reaction to whenever someone mentions Moz end on this site? Posters piling on Elvis for accepting the O.B.E when they know that he had full intention of not accepting until his mother asked him to reconsider. His mother's the same age as the Queen. The dude did something nice for his mother. Shoot the f***er on sight. Chill out people. Even Moz said recently that if he gets invited to the palace again he'll probably accept and go.

I'm just glad EC and Moz are still around. Still.making better music than bands half their age. I'll be saddened when one or both ever stop.

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom