End of an era, Tower Records to be liquidated

dallow_bg

the one he left behind
57496.66TOWER-RECORDS.sff.jpg

http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/business/1310AP_Tower_Records_Bankruptcy.html

I really suggest reading the whole thing, it's pretty detailed. This part especially made me feel that they really tried:

Tim Pohl, an attorney representing Trans World, asked the judge whether $500,000 was "a material enough difference" to liquidate a company, as opposed to keeping thousands of people employed.

So I'm basically out of a job, I have maybe 3 months at most.
I plan to ride it out, and take what I can. Like other employers, we're making a stash hoping to get lots of good stuff for a dollar. Box sets anyone?

What's really sad is that the iconic Tower on Sunset Blvd., which as been there since 1969 will close it's doors. Probably to become a Container Store or something... (look at this crap, we got the news today)

Ah well. It was very interesting seeing everyone's reactions at work as we got the news.
At least I don't have to be nice to the customers I hate anymore.

Photo_100405_004.jpg

I plan to ride it out, and take what I can. Like other employers, we're making a stash hoping to get lots of good stuff for a dollar. Box sets anyone?
Hey, dallow, I'm really sorry to hear about your job and all... but, should you just happen to come upon the EMI box set of Rattle conducting Sibelius' Symphonies, I would appreciate your setting it aside. ;) :p

rattleqe0.jpg

Take care, friend.

chin up and good luck x

Perhaps it's time to start your own small music store, and cover the walls with posters of Morrissey!

So did the news come out of the blue or had there been concerned mumblings for some time before?

57496.66TOWER-RECORDS.sff.jpg

I really suggest reading the whole thing, it's pretty detailed. This part especially made me feel that they really tried:

Tim Pohl, an attorney representing Trans World, asked the judge whether $500,000 was "a material enough difference" to liquidate a company, as opposed to keeping thousands of people employed.

What's really sad is that the iconic Tower on Sunset Blvd., which as been there since 1969 will close it's doors. Probably to become a Container Store or something... (look at this crap, we got the news today)

Ah well. It was very interesting seeing everyone's reactions at work as we got the news.
At least I don't have to be nice to the customers I hate anymore.

Photo_100405_004.jpg

NOoooooooo!!!! This is such sad news, both for you and the fact that it is the end of an era :(

will you try to get another job at a music store. are there many where you live.
once again good luck and do hope you get a good stash of stuff to take and sell.

That's horrible news!

Tower is/was, by far, my favorite music store. I love the fact that they stock/stocked EVERYTHING, not just the newest releases.

And it was bought out by the people who own fye? What a crappy store. Even Best Buy has a better selection than fye does.

It's sad and I do like the fact that there still is a major store out there that has that personal touch, but I think I, like most others, simply bought my albums from wherever it was cheapest. That wasn't always Tower, at least here in Ireland. Also, there's always annoying as f*** teenage rockers hanging out in there on the beanbags making going into the place seem like a chore at times.

That's a bummer, especially for dallow. I spent many happy hours in that store on Broadway in Greenwich Village. And The Container Store??!! A sign of the apocalypse. Good luck (horde that stuff!)

Also, there's always annoying as f*** teenage rockers hanging out in there on the beanbags

I'm not a teenage rocker (well, I am 19 for two more days...) but I did enjoy occasionally perching on a beanbag and flicking through Celebrity Skin. There's something quite fun about being a young girl and looking at a shamelessly grubby mag packed full of grainy screengrabs of A-listers' snatches in broad daylight on the high street.

Our Tower Records didn't last longer than a year. It's a Nike Store now. I miss Celebrity Skin.

Ah thanks, but don't feel bad for me. It was just a crappy retail job for me, even though I loved working there.
I feel bad that Tower Records, as a whole, will be gone, and for the people higher up who for them, this was their career. I knew some of them personally.

Here's some pictures I took of my store today, remember this is less than 24 hours after the sale was even finalized by the judge.

DSC01447.jpg

DSC01446.jpg

DSC01445.jpg

Vultures!
It was really sad actually to walk in and see this, so sudden!!

PS: Sorry Cod, we were out of that boxset. :(

I'm not a teenage rocker (well, I am 19 for two more days...) but I did enjoy occasionally perching on a beanbag and flicking through Celebrity Skin. There's something quite fun about being a young girl and looking at a shamelessly grubby mag packed full of grainy screengrabs of A-listers' snatches in broad daylight on the high street.

Our Tower Records didn't last longer than a year. It's a Nike Store now. I miss Celebrity Skin.

Celebrity Skin? You naughty girl!

Here's a bonus pic, it's the view when you walk out of my store:

DSC01450.jpg

George Michael and his partner Goss live there when they're in Dallas.
Goss' art gallery is actually pretty much down the street. They shopped at Tower once while I was there. Among other celebrities.

I am really sorry to hear that.
I hope you'll find another job soon, and I hope you'll find many bargains in the next few weeks.

When they closed down the Virgin mega store where I live, years ago, I bought tons of cds (mainly singles) at Lire 1.000 each. :eek: (We had the lira back then, it's about 50 € cents).
I walked out of the store with two Eastpaks full of cds. :D

I'm really sorry to hear that, I hope you manage to find another job you really enjoy. I have to say, when Virgin closed down, I went 'just to look'.... an hour later, I had to stop because I could no longer see over the top of the armful of CDs I was carrying. Oh, that was fun.... £120 pounds in a half price sale!

Back
Top Bottom