"England Is Mine" released and in cinemas (UK, Aug. 4, 2017)

"England Is Mine" (official site), the movie based on early life of Morrissey, is out now in the UK.

40279_england_is_mine_poster.png

I've seen the trailer and that's plenty.
I mean, Rusholme Ruffians LIVE in early 1983 (small pub venue, a handful of punters)?!
I understand the notion of artistic licence but what justifies this when just a tiny bit of research would have given it some degree of authenticity?

im quite looking forward to this now.going tomorrow.going to catch it in cineworld Glasgow,, better not pass any lapdancing clubs or I wont be going to see any film.

I mean, Rusholme Ruffians LIVE in early 1983 (small pub venue, a handful of punters)?!
I understand the notion of artistic licence but what justifies this when just a tiny bit of research would have given it some degree of authenticity?

It's "His Latest Flame", and the film doesn't cover 1983.

A tiny bit of research, etc.

At last! It's time for Brits to use wigs, false noses, plastic clip-on ears, nurse outfits, Superman capes and oddly shaped spectacles to check what is going on in that film whitout being noticed. Remember that's the only approved dress code.

Just realised the Morrissey character still has long hair in the clip. So maybe the Nosebleeds covered "His Latest Flame"?

It's obviously not Rusholme Ruffians, and it's obviously not early 1983.

Did the Smiths ever play His Latest Flame live aside from as a medley with Rusholme Ruffians?

(Marie's the Name of)

It's a cover of New York Dolls covering the Shangri La's "Great Big Kiss". They happen to have musical similarities

It's a cover of New York Dolls covering the Shangri La's "Great Big Kiss". They happen to have musical similarities

Thanks for clearing that one up. I guess more went into this than I gave it credit for....maybe I should go along after all!

Did the Smiths ever play His Latest Flame live aside from as a medley with Rusholme Ruffians?

(Marie's the Name of)
Never done as a full song live.
Regards,
FWD.

Saw it last night at the Home preview in Manchester followed by director/writer Q&A - both big Smiths fans. Really good. Pretty light, but good. Respectful to Morrissey/Marr/Billy Duffy etc. and nothing cheesy in it (like Morrissey getting a punctured tyre or having a pen-pal in Luxembourg etc.). Funny in places with good acting, especially the lad from Dunkirk who plays Morrissey - great attempt at Moz's voice. And yes, it's the Nosebleeds in the pub and they're not playing Rusholme Ruffians. Definitely recommended, I can't see how any Smiths/Morrissey fan could be offended.

Its not Rusholme Ruffians genius. He said at the Q&A last night, its a cover of a cover of "Give him a great big kiss" (New York Dolls/Shangri las)

Except that doesn't happen in the film and you clearly haven't seen it

Tags
england is mine movie

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom