"England Is Mine" released and in cinemas (UK, Aug. 4, 2017)

"England Is Mine" (official site), the movie based on early life of Morrissey, is out now in the UK.

40279_england_is_mine_poster.png

The Economist:

Unlovable?
A new biopic of Morrissey, Britain’s controversial music icon.

“England is Mine” does well to focus on his formative years rather than his later antagonisms.

Excerpt:
"It is a fortuitous bit of timing. Morrissey’s legacy is sinking at the exact moment in his career when he should be embraced as a national treasure. While his early public pronouncements tended to chime with the feelings of his typically left-leaning fan base—think of his tirades against the Queen and Margaret Thatcher—the new-look Pope of Mope saves his edicts for Brexit (“magnificent”), Nigel Farage (“I like him a great deal”) and terrorism (politicians are afraid to call out Islam). Such divisive subjects inevitably jar with many of his fans."

https://www.economist.com/blogs/prospero/2017/08/unlovable

No ratings - just commentary.
Regards,
FWD.

I ventured out to the Aldgate screening of this last night and have to say that I enjoyed it. Having been put off initially by the casting, I think Jack Lowdon made it his own and should at least be commended for his facial expressions which were spot on in places. Sure the plot has more than a touch of artistic licence (they obviously followed the instructions in Songs That Saved Your Life and just snipped out the truthful and replaced it with the romantic) but there were enough lyrical easter eggs in the dialogue and background to keep any fan satisfied. Perhaps a little on the pretentious side; it's a film about Morrissey, what do you expect? Anyway, it certainly helped with my current Morrissey/Smiths education.

I didn't particularly like Control and everyone raved about it. I also hated the film of Orlando. I guess there are contradictions with the mental images I have built up over the years. I think the less deeply you feel about something the less it matters...

I ventured out to the Aldgate screening of this last night and have to say that I enjoyed it. Having been put off initially by the casting, I think Jack Lowdon made it his own and should at least be commended for his facial expressions which were spot on in places. Sure the plot has more than a touch of artistic licence (they obviously followed the instructions in Songs That Saved Your Life and just snipped out the truthful and replaced it with the romantic) but there were enough lyrical easter eggs in the dialogue and background to keep any fan satisfied. Perhaps a little on the pretentious side; it's a film about Morrissey, what do you expect? Anyway, it certainly helped with my current Morrissey/Smiths education.

Saw it last night and enjoyed it.

It's not perfect (what could be) - but it's way better than i feared. Lots of good moments and the performances are good.

Reminded me a bit, in terms of style, of the Gus Van Sant film 'LAST DAYS.'

Does anyone know where I can watch it online? I live nowhere near the UK and I truly want to watch this. Or does anyone know of any news if it's going to be shown in North America in the future?

Does anyone know where I can watch it online? I live nowhere near the UK and I truly want to watch this. Or does anyone know of any news if it's going to be shown in North America in the future?

It opens in NYC on 25th August
LA 1st Spetember
Rest of the states to follow.

the director said it has been distributed all over the world so you should be fine,you might need to travel to a city to see it in one of the big multiplexs.

I really enjoyed this film and believe it is well worth seeing. The only disappointment I can recall was that they didn't use the front of the actual house in Stretford, a very minor quibble of course. Jack Lowden has done a very good job with some of the mannerisms and in particular the speaking voice.

Just got back from the cinema.
I enjoyed the film and would be happy to recommend it to any Smiths/Morrissey fan.
Plenty of holes to pick in it if one wishes to do so, but to me it's not about that, go and watch it and enjoy it for what it is - an entertaining film about someone we all care about, made from the heart.

Just watched the film tonight. About half a dozen people in the theatre. It started really well. Near perfect recreation of 70s Britain. But as the film progressed the wit became less and less and the self-absorbed gloom grew more and more. Almost difficult to watch. Was glad when Johnny came knocking on the door...played by a rather dishy actor too. Probably would have worked better as a late-night BBC4 drama rather than a piece of cinema. Still, great soundtrack. Really enjoyed hearing Sparks.

I've seen the trailer and that's plenty.
I mean, Rusholme Ruffians LIVE in early 1983 (small pub venue, a handful of punters)?!
I understand the notion of artistic licence but what justifies this when just a tiny bit of research would have given it some degree of authenticity?

"England Is Mine" (official site), the movie based on early life of Morrissey, is out now in the UK.

40279_england_is_mine_poster.png
Just been to see it ... really enjoyed it , Jack Lowden is great and it's got some great humour in it (clean up in aisle 5 ) ...and loads of swearing from the Angie character . Doesn't hint at any sexuality and if anything young moz comes across as a bit of an object of female attention. The music is great (someone has "under the influence" compilation) and the detail is spot on ( yeah kings road has been reversed). Can't see why morrissey would be upset by this ... which means he will be upset by this. Go see it folks !!

Just seen it this evening - They did a very good account of what I would've thought a 1970's Morrissey would of done.
It's no box office thriller, but i found parts hilarious and is littered with tiny references of which i believe a true fan will find rewarding.

I did, however, believe that especially in the first half of the film, watching it from Morrissey's perspective, I would not be suprised if he now goes on a large rant about it - It was sad watching the depressing nature of his early years expressed, it really does write home on an emotional front. Mind you, having a 94 min film dedicated to 20 odd years of your life would hit anyone.

Overall, a well executed film - Highly recommended.

The film is ok - but my biggest gripe is just how utterly shallow Steven Patrick is presented. The script is lacking I'm afraid...

the director said it has been distributed all over the world so you should be fine,you might need to travel to a city to see it in one of the big multiplexs.
What did you think of it? I thought the trailer looked interesting. I had meant to see if it was playing in Edinburgh but have probably missed the boat now.

Tags
england is mine movie

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom