eternal sunshine for the spotless mind becomes reality?!?

oye terence

ampersand after ampersand
I recently purchased from borders the "this american life " tv series with Ira glass that aires on showtime,I had seen enough of the first season to be really impressed.

http://www.sho.com/site/thisamericanlife/home.do

if you have not seen the show I highly suggest watching it,its very well done.

well one of the episodes takes up subjects based on the theme of Pandora's box,and one of the stories real shook me.

here is a clip:

basically they discovered how we store memories and how basically you could evaporate them,and the sad part was when they released some of their findings,they had hundreds of people requesting information and volunteering to be a guinea pig for their research.

I find it highly disturbing how very soon one could have their whole life erased by a pill or a shot,we all have good and bad memories but I dont think i would want to do that.memories are what make us who were are.

what do you think?

Last edited by a moderator:
Horrible. I hope it's wrong. I'd never want to have any part of memory erased no matter how terrible. I wouldn't be me anymore.

Horrible. I hope it's wrong. I'd never want to have any part of memory erased no matter how terrible. I wouldn't be me anymore.

oooh its very real,and very scary,they actually found how how memories are made and basically by doing that foudn the way to evaporate them.

very sad and very scary.

i like my memories good and bad
they make us who we are dont they?

:( That's horrible.

My childhood was shitty, yea, but I wouldn't want to erase it. It's made me the young woman I am today!

If I hadn't been abused and beaten down like I was, I wouldn't have learned to stand up and be who I want to be. :(

People need to learn to stand up and face life.

I'm exactly the kind of twit that would volunteer to have my bad memories erased. :( I wish I wasn't, and I know that it's not the right thing to do; to have your memory altered. But I'm a fool!
I love Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind, and I think it proves that these kinda things SHOULDN'T be done. :o

:( That's horrible.

My childhood was shitty, yea, but I wouldn't want to erase it. It's made me the young woman I am today!

If I hadn't been abused and beaten down like I was, I wouldn't have learned to stand up and be who I want to be. :(

People need to learn to stand up and face life.

exactly!!

you wouldnt be the druid you are today!

good and bad things in our lives make us who were are

you,a druid
me, a drunk

hahaha

noooo.

Last edited:
exactly!!

you wouldnt be the druid you are today!

good and bad things in our lives make us who were

you,a druid
me, a drunk

hahaha

noooo.
Haha, my dad actually asked me yesterday if I was gonna be a barwhore and hang out at bars a lot.

I told him, Nooo, I'm just gonna buy a bar like you did!

anyway!
I've had a lot of horrible memories, but that I wouldn't give up for anything. Like for instance, my last memory of my grandmother was her, well, dying infront of me and then, dead. But I wouldn't want to erase it, cause, it's the last memory I have of her. :(

However, I would like to erase the memory of this HORRIBLE VERSION OF KISS THE GIRL that they are playing on the Disney Channel right now. :( How dare they ruin this song from my favorite childhood movie!

i like my memories good and bad
they make us who we are dont they?

Amen & Yes sir :) btw, I loved that movie too!

I need MORE memory, not less! If I could take a pill or shot to help me with my memory(ies)...well, I'd be the first guinea pig in line :D

I could see 'this' experimentation done for people who have been severly traumatized, tho. I'd want it erased too. Still... scary thinking. Besides do we want a bunch of brain dead people in the world? I mean more?!! :D

Amen & Yes sir :) btw, I loved that movie too!

I need MORE memory, not less! If I could take a pill or shot to help me with my memory(ies)...well, I'd be the first guinea pig in line :D

I could see 'this' experimentation done for people who have been severly traumatized, tho. I'd want it erased too. Still... scary thinking. Besides do we want a bunch of brain dead people in the world? I mean more?!! :D

well that was part of the show,they were talking about how all these people sent in letters and emails begging to be a part of a study group,that made me sad because though im sure there were a few who truly didnt need to have their memories zapped,i am sure there were plenty who maybe did,and in such severe cases its still sad that you would rather wake up with no memories because of some bad memories.

I wholeheartedly agree with his opening statement. My concern is what the state would do with something like this. The US government has already spent millions, maybe billions on investigating mind control, MK-ULTRA for example, with new technologies like this, the implications are much more frightening.

I've got some memories I wouldn't miss. But ultimately I wouldn't do it.

I can see how this would really help high-risk suicidal people, though. I think it could do good in situations like that.

Back
Top Bottom