favorite lyrics from the new album

Oh my god. it's Robby!

spontaneously luminescent
tumblr_l9468nnzpx1qcf3h4o1_500.jpg

Victim, or life’s adventurer
Which of the two are you?

its an easy choice for me since its the one I've already been caught saying it out loud as I work at my desk :guitar:

other I love are:

Art-hounds, very funny
Very witty, but very lonely
And below the belt is shrivelled and small
It knows a thousand woes

-god, I don't ever want to be that, for me hearing him say such was a wake up call, time to get back in the game, better to be actively rejected
then merely sit on the sidelines watching

Each time you vote you support the process
-another one I've been caught saying in the office, and yes, I am now committed to never voting again, because I do despise the current process

Bastille mausoleum
Stockyard, churchyard
Your mammy's backyard

-its like he was watching my life from 20 years ago, @ the beginning of my love affair with "the one"(so far)

She just wants a slave
To break his back in pursuit of a living wage
So that she can laze and graze
For the rest of her days
Write down every word I say

-I know some see this song as sexist, but all I heard resonated for me, not so much about the women I've been with, because to be honest
I would never date a woman without a job, I include being an artist in this category, its not about making $, but having a passion which one actively pursues
the shocking thing is that for much of the decade I spent with one person, I was more like "the bride" Moz is singing about than I would ever admit until I heard this song
it just shouted to me what piece of shit I was and how I feel about anyone that wants such from life, man, woman, gay, straight or whatever :cool:

He died saving my life
He took the lead
Aimed for my head
Such love shown I'd never known

Give me the gun
I love you
A job half done
Isn't done

-once again, for me it like is talking about my life, I had a buddy who died* when his Bradley took the place of mine in the "tip" of the line in our attack up the "Wadi Al-Batin" and the line about a job half done haunted so many of us Vets when it came to Iraq even before the first Gulf War was over
so much death and chaos which came a decade later with healthy bit of lying could have all been avoided if we had been allowed to drive on through from Basra to Baghdad back in 91, back then we would have truly been greeted as heroes liberating them from tyranny, for me, its a sore spot that never goes away, a job half done, isn't done :straightface:

--if there is already thread too much like this, sorry, I don't have the time to come here for very long anymore, so I have not checked
but I would like to know other people's fave lyrics :thumb:

*=friendly fire, one of the not officially recognized incidents, there are many, I don't blame those given the fire order, but covering stuff like this up only means more are bound to happen in the future, which has certainly proven the case post "Gulf War"

tumblr_l9468nnzpx1qcf3h4o1_500.jpg

Victim, or life’s adventurer
Which of the two are you?

its an easy choice for me since its the one I've already been caught saying it out loud as I work at my desk :guitar:

other I love are:

Art-hounds, very funny
Very witty, but very lonely
And below the belt is shrivelled and small
It knows a thousand woes

-god, I don't ever want to be that, for me hearing him say such was a wake up call, time to get back in the game, better to be actively rejected
then merely sit on the sidelines watching

Each time you vote you support the process
-another one I've been caught saying in the office, and yes, I am now committed to never voting again, because I do despise the current process

Bastille mausoleum
Stockyard, churchyard
Your mammy's backyard

-its like he was watching my life from 20 years ago, @ the beginning of my love affair with "the one"(so far)

She just wants a slave
To break his back in pursuit of a living wage
So that she can laze and graze
For the rest of her days
Write down every word I say

-I know some see this song as sexist, but all I heard resonated for me, not so much about the women I've been with, because to be honest
I would never date a woman without a job, I include being an artist in this category, its not about making $, but having a passion which one actively pursues
the shocking thing is that for much of the decade I spent with one person, I was more like "the bride" Moz is singing about than I would ever admit until I heard this song
it just shouted to me what piece of shit I was and how I feel about anyone that wants such from life, man, woman, gay, straight or whatever :cool:

He died saving my life
He took the lead
Aimed for my head
Such love shown I'd never known

Give me the gun
I love you
A job half done
Isn't done

-once again, for me it like is talking about my life, I had a buddy who died* when his Bradley took the place of mine in the "tip" of the line in our attack up the "Wadi Al-Batin" and the line about a job half done haunted so many of us Vets when it came to Iraq even before the first Gulf War was over
so much death and chaos which came a decade later with healthy bit of lying could have all been avoided if we had been allowed to drive on through from Basra to Baghdad back in 91, back then we would have truly been greeted as heroes liberating them from tyranny, for me, its a sore spot that never goes away, a job half done, isn't done :straightface:

--if there is already thread too much like this, sorry, I don't have the time to come here for very long anymore, so I have not checked
but I would like to know other people's fave lyrics :thumb:

*=friendly fire, one of the not officially recognized incidents, there are many, I don't blame those given the fire order, but covering stuff like this up only means more are bound to happen in the future, which has certainly proven the case post "Gulf War"

Too much E will always make you a victim.

Unfortunately Robby 'this' web-site is dedicated to discussing how much we 'hate' the lyrics;
because - either we don't understand what he meant, or he uses words that are not sexy, - they don't rhyme well enough, or they rhyme too well.
So pick one of those scenarios and begin bitching.

(seriously though ... nice thread)

Great post, Robby. Thanks for sharing these personal connections you have to some of the lyrics! I'm having a hard time answering because I'm still figuring out my own interpretations of a lot of the lyrics (which may be miles away from what Morrissey intended when he wrote them, but that's just how it works…I don't need or even necessarily want to know his explanations), so I'm not sure I even know what my "favorites" are yet. These are the lyrics I keep getting hung up on, though…

You're that stretch of the beach
That the tide doesn't reach
No meaning, no reason
The lonely season

I don't know if the "you" here is the subject of the rest of the song (the kicker, as it were), or if he's switched to addressing the bride herself. What does it mean to be the stretch of the beach that the tide doesn't reach? Are you impervious to the wills of nature? Are you unchangeable? Is it a positive or a negative? I can't stop thinking about what it might mean.

On the coastal shore I'm sure you'd break down if you saw
An abhorrent torrent crashing as it pours
The counter-current holds a secret at the rise of tides
And it swells all alone for this heart born too high

More rising tides! More loneliness! 'Drag the River' is such a gorgeous song, and the lyrics are among the most beautiful things Morrissey has written. His voice sounds so incredible when he sings the "abhorrent torrent" line (and "submersible stone" in the next verse, too)…it's all too much. This song makes me feel very sad but very safe in sorrow at the same time, a combination of feelings I've always associated with listening to Morrissey.

But the only thing that makes me cry
Is when I see the sky

I read the lyrics to 'Mountjoy' before I listened to the song, and my eye went straight to these lines and I waited for that part when I listened to the album for the first time. By the time it came around, it felt crushingly sad. 'Mountjoy' is perfectly positioned among the 12 tracks on the standard album, as are these words. The idea of any sense of freedom or release being the only thing capable of breaking ones emotional stability (or numbness) hits very close to my heart.

I'll leave it there for now, and come back to this thread once I've thought a bit more.

to be fair he only says that each time you vote you support this process. doesnt mean he never want you to vote again only realize this and maybe try to change the process/system through some other way while still voting for the best yo can get out of the current system. be aware and exercise all options simultaneously could just as easily be interpruted. voting is not the be all end all of change

to be fair he only says that each time you vote you support this process. doesnt mean he never want you to vote again only realize this and maybe try to change the process/system through some other way while still voting for the best yo can get out of the current system. be aware and exercise all options simultaneously could just as easily be interpruted. voting is not the be all end all of change

That was my immediate interpretation, too. Not quite sure why so many people leapt to the conclusion that Morrissey was saying "Don't vote!". Likewise, I didn't think he was suggesting we shouldn't pay our taxes, only that we should question what the money is being spent on. Funny, though: that so many of the people who nit-pick at Morrissey's lyrics seem immune to nuance. :)

"Were you and he Lovers?
and would you say so if you were?
on a forecourt
on a Friday
passing my way
Were you and he Lovers?
and if you were, then say that you were!
on a groundsheet
under canvas
with your tent-flap
open wide
A note upon his desk:
"P.S. Bring Me Home And Have Me!"
Leather elbows on a tweed coat
- Oh! -
Is THAT the best you can do?
So came his reply:
"...but on the desk is where I want you!"
So I ask (even though I know):
were you and he Lovers?" - oh no, wait, thats from viva hate. Hold on...

"Captain of games, solid framed
I stood on the touchline
Hailstones, driven home
In a car - no brakes? I don't mind" - nope, sorry, viva hate again..

"With no complications
Fifteen generations
(of mine)
All honoring Nature
Until I arrive
(With incredible style)" - oops that's kill uncle

"I tried to surprise ya
I crept up behind you
With a homeless chihuahua,
you cooed for an hour,
you handed him back
and said
"you'll never guess, I'm bored now!" Shoot, kill uncle again

"All over this town
Yes, a low wind may blow
And I can see through everybody's clothes...
With no reason
To hide these words I feel
And no reason
To talk about the books I read
But still I do"

"Outside the prison gates
I love the romance of crime
And I wonder
Does anybody feel the way I do?
And is evil just something you are
Or something you do?"

"There's gonna be some trouble,
A whole house will need rebuilding'
And everyone I love in the house,
Will recline, on an analysts couch, quite soon,
You father cracks a joke and in the usual way
...empties the room"

Wait, wasn't there something on world peace, like, something something shampoo beard something something, yeah, I didn't like that

The funniest thing about mouse is he's apparently old.
He said something yesterday that suggested his age and he isn't even a young man, let alone a lonely kid as you may have imagined... :(

"Pinned to a crime in Trondheim"

It says so much in such an economical and memorable way.
It's like clipped film noir dialogue.
Added to the way Morrissey sings/phrases it, it's an incredible moment on the album.

Staircase At The University - "If you don't get three As," her sweet daddy said
You're no child of mine and as far as I'm concerned, you're dead"
-His delivery of 'you're dead' is perfect, I laughed a lot.

Mountjoy - "We never say aloud the things
That we say in our prayers
Cause no one cares."
-Simple, striking, very Morrissey.

Kick The Bride Down The Aisle - "You're that stretch of the beach
That the tide doesn't reach
No meaning, no reason
The lonely season."
-I feel I can relate to this one a bit too much...

World Peace Is None Of Your Business - "Each time you vote you support the process."
- So much said in so few words...

Scandinavia - "I was bored in a fjord"
- I have no idea why, but I just love how he rhymed 'bored' with 'fjord', it always amuses me.

Scandinavia - "I was bored in a fjord"
- I have no idea why, but I just love how he rhymed 'bored' with 'fjord', it always amuses me.

It's perfect that song and that's one of his best openings to any song ever, I think.
Especially the way the drums set up the drama for a beat and then everything stops dead and Morrissey comes in with that line. And the genius is in the way he stretches out "bored" and "fjord". Fantastic!
And those strings.
There's just so much to love and appreciate and admire on this album...

Seriously - ban A none E mouse; he does nothing but hijack and destroy every thread.

But to answer the question of the thread:

Time has frittered long and slow
All I am and was will go
But where to?
And why now?

And for the humour:

And if it breaks your legs
Then don't come running to me

Seriously - ban A none E mouse; he does nothing but hijack and destroy every thread.

But to answer the question of the thread:

Time has frittered long and slow
All I am and was will go
But where to?
And why now?

And for the humour:

And if it breaks your legs
Then don't come running to me

So it's ok for you to relentlessly bum the album and wrong for me to relentlessly piss all over it? Anyway this thread got what it deserved

Back
Top Bottom