Favourite live lyric change

butley

I heard the funniest one today. I was listening to a gig in Las Vegas on YouTube from 1999. Morrissey changed the lyric in Is It Really So Strange from " I lost my bag..." to "I lost my wig in Newport Pagnell". One of my favourite ever lyrics got ten times funnier.

I was also always fond of "Life is very long when you're a bouncer" from a Smiths concert I heard once when there was security trouble and Morrissey shouts out at them in the middle of I Know It's Over, then changes the lyric during The Queen is Dead.

On the same tour at Aylesbury Civic....some bloke had an unfortunate slip when trying to clamber over the barrier...and so "the all I ask of you line" in Tomorrow was changed to "I've got two testicles..."

SSOB

'What she said, how come someone hasn't noticed that I'm f***ed and decided to bury me, God knows I'm ready.'

I haven't been listening to the live recordings in a while so I can't think of one but I will. I just wanted to say I like this thread. Good idea.

"And on your face, on your very strange f***ing face," during EDILS.

"Walkman" updated to "iPod" started to melt.

'First of the Gang to Die': "Would you like to swing on a star? Carry moonbeams home in a jar?" etc...

I can't remember the exact venue, but at least once during 'Crashing Bores' he changed the lyrics to "take me in your mouth and love me"

So many...

A few I've heard live that stand out:

"...on the front of the Daily Snail, dressed in your brother's bridal veil."

"I found a tiny trailer..."

"Anthony Newley raised to wait..."

"This is my body to wreck my own way..."

- - - Updated - - -

I can't remember the exact venue, but at least once during 'Crashing Bores' he changed the lyrics to "take me in your mouth and love me"

This is hilarious! :cool:

Last edited:
In the same vein:

"When he was a teenage boy, somebody got stuck in his throat."

"I entered nothing and nobody entered me, until you came with a key."

" I am a symbol of where sex mad lovers must pause and draw the line"

I like when he completely flips the meanings of lines: such as, 'I still love you, only slightly MORE than I used to.' Or, 'How I love the COMPLICATED things of life.'

Please, please, please, let me let me let me have who I want this time...

Is he still singing this in The Queen is Dead?:

She said: I know you and you cannot sing
I said: of course I can, you silly thing'"

'Vicar in a Tutu' - I think this live version is one of the B-sides on the 'Satellite of Love' single:

"I was minding my business, lifting some lead of the roof of the Salford Lad's Club..."

Back
Top Bottom