Festive 50

C

Christmas Past

Anyone listening to the Festive 50 at the moment? It's not the same without John Peel eh? - That Rob bloke is doing his best though.

Wonder if Mozzer will score anywhere in the top ten? My bet is for JP's old pal Nick Cave ('There she goes my beautiful world') at No 1. Any thoughts?

Steve

> Anyone listening to the Festive 50 at the moment?
Yep, I'm here and there as well.

> It's not the same without John Peel eh?
No :o(

> Wonder if Mozzer will score anywhere in the top ten?
A couple of weeks back, Ron de Banque made some comments which suggested that Morrissey could be #1. I'd like to see Jawbone myself.

TMF

I remember sitting next to the radio as a 15 year old (this time 17 years ago) enjoying listening to gems such as talluah gosh, sea urchins, smiths, wedding present, the fall, nick cave, etc. Peels festive 50 was always a real treat.

I feel so guilty for not listening since about 1991. So many good bands must have passed my way un-noticed.

It's sad that this will undoubtedly be the last one.

RIP John.

Re: Rob Da Bank??

Yeah Andy - Rob da Bank

Not the same is it?

> I feel so guilty for not listening since about 1991. So many good bands
> must have passed my way un-noticed.

The first Festive 50 I tuned into was 1989. I have that on tape still. I missed a couple of charts around 1995-98 I think, but I've been a regular listener since then.

TMF

The Fall are obviously there most years. Not a fan at all purely through knowing little about them. Did they release anything this year?

Haven't really listened to Radio 1 for a while and have no idea who this Rob Da Bank is but would have been nice if JP's wife or even someone like Andy Kershaw had done it.

Do you reckon it will be the last one or will they carry it on as a tribute?

> The Fall are obviously there most years. Not a fan at all purely through
> knowing little about them. Did they release anything this year?

Yep. They did a very good Peel Session earlier in the year ("Blindness" from it will be in the F50 Top 10, believe me) and then a ropey treading water album of live and rehearsal stuff called "Interim" (ho ho cf "Seminal Live"). Proper next LP in 2005.

> Do you reckon it will be the last one or will they carry it on as a
> tribute?

A similar show will be there in 2005. There seems to be a lot of talk on having a programme that continues to "break" new music. Yes, that was an important aspect of the Peel show, but for me it was the genre hopping and mix that made the show the delight it was. I have horrible misgivings that the slot might end with a playlist as constricting as something like Steve Lamacq. Whether they'll do an end of the year listeners' poll remains to be seen eh?

TMF

Back
Top Bottom