Fifteen Minutes With...Vini Reilly - Julie Hamill

Julie's latest interview...

Fifteen minutes with Vini Reilly, guitarist with Morrissey and The Durutti Column - Julie Hamill

Excerpt:

J: Your guitar playing is beautiful on ‘Viva Hate’.

V: I want to talk about Stephen Street about whom I’ve said wrong things in the past; this is not an excuse, this is fact, I have suffered from what they call ‘displaced anger’ and this is where you’re very angry with yourself and you don’t understand, you just shout at people you really care about. Stephen Street, I’ve got to tell you, you will never find a nicer man. He is one of the nicest people I’ve ever met in my life. Endless patience, his skills are astonishing, his ability to hear… all those skills, a fabulous result. I loved the guy.

...Note from Vini:

Since this interview was conducted Stephen Street has had the good grace to contact me. After twenty-three years we have begun to try to find our way back to being good friends, thanks to Stephen’s big heart. Vini.

vini_reilly.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
What a great guy. From previous tv snippets I always suspected Vini was a really nice man and I am happy to see that the hatchet has been buried between him and Stephen Street. I only wish Morrissey had continued his collaboration with these two great musicians/songwriters. I don't like to see Vini in need of money, when you consider how much money Viva Hate has probably made down through the years. Moz should use his next (and final?) two albums his chance to re-work with some previous collaborators and new ones, instead of more of the same old same old.

What a great guy. From previous tv snippets I always suspected Vini was a really nice man and I am happy to see that the hatchet has been buried between him and Stephen Street. I only wish Morrissey had continued his collaboration with these two great musicians/songwriters. I don't like to see Vini in need of money, when you consider how much money Viva Hate has probably made down through the years. Moz should use his next (and final?) two albums his chance to re-work with some previous collaborators and new ones, instead of more of the same old same old.

It's too bad that there have been so many personal/financial issues with the departed, as I think it could be a fascinating exercise. Keep him in his comfort zone with at least half of the tracks recorded with his present band, but co-write a few songs with Nevin, Whyte, and Cobrin. Have Lillywhite, Langer, and Street produce some tracks. Finally, reunite either the original Lads or the Bridgwood iteration as the band on a few songs. Alas, only in internet daydreams. Time moves on but one wishes that so many had not been marginalized by Morrissey's narrative.

It's time the tale were told. From 'Is This Music?' Issue 24 Winter 2006, Pat Nevin interviewed by Stuart McHugh, ~

"Despite Nevin’s efforts – he was player of the year – Chelsea got relegated – a far cry from today. But he remained in the top league, signing to Everton for close to a million pounds. Happily, his musical interest wasn’t curtailed too much, living in the comparatively affluent Chester suburbs.
With Madchester and The Smiths in their ascendancy, the move was convenient for not just footballing reasons. And indeed, provided more proof that football and contemporary music are unlikely bedfellows. Nevin became friendly with Vini Reilly – guitarist with Factory act The Durutti Column, and former bandmate with one Steven Patrick Morrissey.

An invite to Moz’s mansion followed, in the leafy suburb of Bowden. Nevin enlisted the help of teammate, Northern Ireland international Norman Whiteside, for directions to the area.
“I live in that road! I’ll come down, we could all get pished together!” Whiteside offered. “I couldn’t do it, so decided to tell him I couldn’t find his house”. A fascinating evening chez Moz followed. “He’d bought a grand piano specifically so Vinny would play that night,” Nevin reveals. And the pair were given a full tour of the turreted mansion. “There was one room we’d not seen, but we eventually persuaded him to show us… his multi-gym!” The image of the bequiffed one working out with gladioli sticking out the back of his shorts is one which is best expunged from one’s memory. “He always was built like a brick shithouse,” Nevin reckons,”but you’d not have known at the time”.

Meanwhile, Whiteside, concerned for his teammate’s whereabouts, was spotted climbing over Morrissey’s wall. And the story doesn’t end there. “I promised I’d go for a drink with Norman after training next day, but had to see the manager and when I came out he’d gone off himself and got ratted that night.” The next Pat heard of his teammate was in the tabloids. “He was stopped on the M54 that night doing… 12 in the outside lane. So Norman lost his licence, and it’s all my fault!

Wow... cheers Joe.

Perhaps Morrissey's next album could be a concept one concerning his dalliances with the footballing fraternity?

Cantona, Joey Barton, Kevin Gallen and of course cousin Robbie would feature highly.

Wow... cheers Joe.

Perhaps Morrissey's next album could be a concept one concerning his dalliances with the footballing fraternity?

Cantona, Joey Barton, Kevin Gallen and of course cousin Robbie would feature highly.

And, of course, a "Master's Voice"-approved re-recording of "Roy's Keen."

I bet Vini has a massive collection of unreleased tracks. He may as well start selling all his demos and live performances now. How many albums did he release? Must be over 30! It seems unreal he's so skint. There must be unreleased things :confused:

the picture says it all, be thankfull Viny was around when he was needed, Viva Hate is still a great album.

all the best for you Viny

'and they say he's mentall' ... :tears:...

" I have suffered from what they call ‘displaced anger’ and this is where you’re very angry with yourself and you don’t understand, you just shout at people you really care about."

......so barleycorn, bummie boy, benny the butcher etc etc etc.........theres your diagnosis!! like we didnt know already haha

Awesome interview. Some wisdom is so hard-earned, but once you're through the fire you fall under grace. I can relate to his periods of anger. Anger eats you alive from inside. It's not a long-term strategy. Many talented artistic types suffer from depression. I believe a strong case can be made for a sliver of genius being the twin of madness. Vini's contributions to Viva Hate are fantastic and will resonate for generations.

I still believe Vini did more on Viva Hate than what he was credited for. Has he recently said much about that dispute?

" I have suffered from what they call ‘displaced anger’ and this is where you’re very angry with yourself and you don’t understand, you just shout at people you really care about."

......so barleycorn, bummie boy, benny the butcher etc etc etc.........theres your diagnosis!! like we didnt know already haha

Morrissey's 'displaced anger' is probably because he realises subconsciously that he's talking/singing bollocks with "Meat Is Murder" when he drinks milk/wears wool, etc. What d'ya think? LOL!

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom