Film "Nomadland" Smiths/Morrissey reference

I was watching a "Nomadland" movie screener tonight and right at the start of the movie the main character goes to work at a Amazon factory. They are having lunch and a lady (Angela) has a bunch of Morrissey tattoos which they show on screen. She quotes "When your laughing and dancing and finally living you hear my voice in your head and you think of my kindly", after she says that "another Smiths lyric I have is". (The Smiths song Rubber Ring). She also quotes that her favorite lyric is "Home is it just a word? Or is it something that you carry within you"? (Morrissey song "Home Is A Question Mark). Then she says "his lyrics are very deep". Obvious reference to Morrissey but no mention of his name.

Will the real Angela please stand up? Good work!

Last edited:
I was watching a "Nomadland" movie screener tonight and right at the start of the movie the main character goes to work at a Amazon factory. They are having lunch and a lady (Angela) has a bunch of Morrissey tattoos which they show on screen. She quotes "When your laughing and dancing and finally living you hear my voice in your head and you think of my kindly", after she says that "another Smiths lyric I have is". (The Smiths song Rubber Ring). She also quotes that her favorite lyric is "Home is it just a word? Or is it something that you carry within you"? (Morrissey song "Home Is A Question Mark). Then she says "his lyrics are very deep". Obvious reference to Morrissey but no mention of his name.

Will the real Angela please stand up? Good work!

I can't believe Morrissey has actually become unspeakable.

A Scottish journalist called him 'He Who Must Not Be Named' while quoting his lyrics.

🙄🧐🙄

I can't believe Morrissey has actually become unspeakable.

A Scottish journalist called him 'He Who Must Not Be Named' while quoting his lyrics.

🙄🧐🙄

Fear & Loathing makes the world go round. And flat.

Live I sometimes thought it sounded like 'poor English me' though, but I could be wrong.

I thought that's what it was & he was saying something about being English & watching French films - but then I thought he was saying he didn't have England, Eng Less.

But then Hell is a film about a man who loses his home because his family thought he'd had a relationship with a boy - so the song's more likely about people than places.

I thought that's what it was & he was saying something about being English & watching French films - but then I thought he was saying he didn't have England, Eng Less.

But then Hell is a film about a man who loses his home because his family thought he'd had a relationship with a boy - so the song's more likely about people than places.

It's definitely wingless on the album and in most renditions.

I agree it's about people, I think he expresses that clearly:

I haven't met you

No sign of you

None were you

Would you meet me?

Regarding Hell, I just thought that Guillaume Canet is probably exactly his type and watching films over and over is something he's always done.

I love this song very much. So many great lines...

How many times I've saved myself? :pray: :bow:

I'd love to know what the original lyrics for Alain's tune were.

Fear & Loathing makes the world go round. And flat.

They'll regret it. I have the screencaps.

Been revisiting 2012 when they got hysterically angry at him for still not enjoying William & Kate's wedding, saying Argentina owns the Falklands & hating the jingoism of the Olympics.

Considering they're all now denouncing flag shaggers for jingoism, the UK for its Empire & the Royals for racism quite a few look like herd following, hypocritical, peacocking privileged, frauds.

And Morrissey emerges as slightly unhinged (he's never denied it) with integrity & kindness intact.

I’ve just watched the film (available on Disney+ in the UK). Home is a Question Mark is incorrectly credited to Morrissey and Alain Whyte in the film’s end credits.

A beautiful film.

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom