Film "Shoplifers of the World" U.S. release in 2021, U.S. Deal With RLJE Films - Variety

Finally this film will be released in 2021.

AMC Networks-owned RLJE Films has swooped for U.S. rights to “Shoplifters of the World.”

Inspired by true events, “Shoplifters of the World” is set over the course of one night in the life of four friends who are reeling from the sudden dissolution of British band The Smiths. The same evening, a local radio station is also hijacked by an armed, impassioned Smiths fan, resulting in a madcap evening that sends up the spirit of the 1980s.

Starring Joe Manganiello (“Magic Mike”) as the radio DJ and Ellar Coltrane (“Boyhood”) as the hijacker, the film also stars Helena Howard (“Madeline’s Madeline”) and Elena Kampouris (“Before I Fall”). “Shoplifters of the World” is written and directed by Stephen Kijak (“We Are X”) and also features 20 tracks from The Smiths.

The U.K.’s WestEnd Films, which is handling international rights, has also sold the film into Japan (Parco), China (Time-in-Portrait Entertainment), the Middle East (Front Row), Portugal (Nos Lusomundo Audiovisuais), Turkey (Fabula) and Taiwan (B-Side Film). WestEnd is overseeing sales for the title at this week’s Toronto International Film Festival.

The U.S. distribution deal was negotiated by Mark Ward and Jess De Leo at RLJE Films and the producers. RLJE Films, which recently distributed the Shia LaBeouf-starring “The Tax Collector,” is planning to release “Shoplifters” early next year.

CAA Media Finance helped to arrange financing on the film.

“With ‘Shoplifters of the World,’ Stephen Kijak brilliantly transports us right back to the 1980s with the amazing look of the film and the unbelievable soundtrack,” said Ward, chief acquisitions officer for RLJE Films. “We are incredibly excited to bring this story and these great performances to U.S. audiences in 2021.”

“Shoplifters of the World” is produced by Untitled Entertainment’s Laura Rister (“The Tale”), 3:59’s Joe and Nick Manganiello (“La Bare”) and Piccadilly Pictures’ Christopher Figg. Also producing are Phil Hoelting, Adam Schoon and Lorianne Hall. Robert Whitehouse, from Piccadilly Pictures, is executive producing.

WestEnd Films’ TIFF slate also includes Pierce Brosnan-starrer “The Last Rifleman,” Frieda Pinto and Constance Wu’s “Mr. Malcolm’s List” and the Ewan McGregor-led “The Cow.”

UPDATE Sep. 15:

Link posted by Nerak:

Related items:

Last edited by a moderator:
I think it was a joke.

It doesn't help him that he mixes indignation with mischief.

Or it would, if it wasn't taken literally.
I don't think this particular comment was meant as a joke but anyway this 👇🏻 still holds true

d3fc3fb8c9b006ab8369d4495cc602b6.jpg

Well, in my opinion, Morrissey himself has produced his fair share of verbal bollocks over the years, starting in the 1980s. And he also can't help himself when it comes to stirring up controversy. I believe that one part of him actually enjoys and needs this outcast position, so my pity is limited. But this topic has been done to death, really.

You're right about the public perception of things of course.

Well, he is a bit:
55b133e18eaf028706a80b1ed8189223.jpg

But it's never good to let the media go off on a moral witch hunt esp when the truth is more interesting.

I'll deny ever being near this site - but feel free to say hi on Twitter if you spot me. I'm not subtle.

217e622601c7cdbea235832203c19f99.gif

It's a terrible place. They spent the morning attacking Robbie Coltrane & this afternoon on Noel Gallagher.

View attachment 59096
What did Noel say/do? I've seen him mentioned a couple of times lately but I have no idea what it is this time.

What did Noel say/do? I've seen him mentioned a couple of times lately but I have no idea what it is this time.

He said he won't wear a mask. He doesn't seem to know that it's to protect other people, not himself.

Usual tweets about him being a **** & how they never liked his music anyway. Poor Moz has been been dragged into a few of them. As usual.

He said he won't wear a mask. He doesn't seem to know that it's to protect other people, not himself.

Usual tweets about him being a **** & how they never liked his music anyway. Poor Moz has been been dragged into a few of them. As usual.
Uh huh. Still not worse than wishing AIDS on people then...

why would anybody in their right mind do social media,what do people actuallt get out of it.sounds like hard work if you ask me.

Morrissey mentions the incident:

"Once, in 1987, a young man in Denver held the local radio station at gunpoint, demanding that they play only Smiths songs. For four hours they complied and the Colorado airwaves were filled with the then-unfamiliar sound of Morrissey, until the police persuaded the gunman to back down. When Morrissey heard what had happened he felt, of course, extreme pleasure.
"But how did you know about it?" he demands.
"I've never come across anybody who knew about it." The fact that the siege has never been properly reported anywhere outrages Morrissey.
"If it was any other artist, it would have been world news. But because it was poor old tatty Smiths it was of no consequence whatsoever."

The updated Westword article that features James Kiss (who is quite real).

Regards,
FWD.

If they do this movie up right, it could be an insightful illustration
of how Mr. Kiss didn't let the gribbles get a hold of'em.
Hope they don't trick it up with myth and Hollywoodize this thing out.

Jesus, I just read the NME piece. He asked to see the manager because they tried to make him wear a mask? 😂 He's a real... Karen? (No offence 😉)

Well, he's always been a bit of a knobhead. Nothing new here.
I still love Oasis to pieces, which, in itself and in certain circles has always been a reason to be cancelled...

Just let everyone do what they like. Those of us taking this situation seriously can wear our masks and socially distance. The “hoaxers” can do whatever the f*** they want. It’ll sort itself out. ...and - as a species - we can use a good cull anyway. ...Morrissey and Gallagher’s, notwithstanding.

You do you. ;)

Jesus, I just read the NME piece. He asked to see the manager because they tried to make him wear a mask? 😂 He's a real... Karen? (No offence 😉)

Well, he's always been a bit of a knobhead. Nothing new here.
I still love Oasis to pieces, which, in itself and in certain circles has always been a reason to be cancelled...

I want to see the manager of the Karen Meme & demand it's renamed. :swear

You pretty much have to kill a kitten for me to cancel you, & you'd want to be cancelled because I would hunt you down for killing a kitten.

I want to see the manager of the Karen Meme & demand it's renamed. :swear

You pretty much have to kill a kitten for me to cancel you, & you'd want to be cancelled because I would hunt you down for killing a kitten.
Why would I kill a kitten when I could listen to Oasis all day instead?

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom