Fine lights (in fancy dress) - curated by mr reynolds

Mr Reynolds

FINE LIGHTS MAIN COVER (STEREO).jpg

‘There is a light that never goes out.’ - Morrissey

‘My dad, when he had his records on…he sparkled. Not dazzling like you, but with fine lights…’ – Little Voice

This compilation project has been a genuine labour of love for me over the last couple of months. I was never satisfied with the various Smiths/Morrissey tribute albums. There tended to be one or two genuinely inventive cover versions that had the misfortune of being framed around far weaker material, so by association it was easy to casually discard and forget them. I wanted to create a really interesting and respectful sound-space, a kind of audio gallery where these neglected gems could shine again and have their day in the sun.

Of course I realise these things will always and forever be ‘subjective’ and some may balk at the inclusion/exclusion of certain tracks, so apologies if you are that person. I have tried to include as wide a range of styles and approaches to demonstrate the incredible diversity that exists within the art of Smiths/Morrissey tributes.

I put quite some thought into their placement and there is a kind of narrative flow to each of the four discs (at least in my fevered imagination). I have also conjured a gentle ambient atmosphere to cushion the tracks which I think creates a really interesting cohesion, and using samples from key-note Morrissey influences – his beloved 60s films and tv – a kind of Morrissey audio-fantasia journey takes shape.

I mastered all the songs to the best possible quality and sourced them from the highest bit rates I could. There should be a few surprises along the way – and perhaps a few hidden delights…

I really hope you enjoy it. Its best to listen all the way through rather than skip tracks. Give them another chance. Listen without prejudice.

Mr Reynolds, Giddy London – August 2014

Fine Lights Track List 1.jpg

https://www.sendspace.com/file/c1ut7j

Fine Lights Track List 2 FIXED.jpg

https://www.sendspace.com/file/xz3ub6

Fine Lights Track List 3.jpg

https://www.sendspace.com/file/xsu0hi

Fine Lights Track List 4.jpg

https://www.sendspace.com/file/mv8zbu

Last edited:
Really appreciate the effort and thought involved here , Mr Reynolds. Downloading the first disc now ...

There are always a couple of cover versions that I have missed or could swear I've never heard.
So I'm sure I will enjoy going through all these.
Great attention to detail and a large thank you for the effort and time in compiling these.
Kind regards,
FWD

(just for the record: my favourite cover is probably The Flat Broke Trio - Jack The Ripper).

Last edited:
There are always a couple of cover versions that I have missed or could swear I've never heard.
So I'm sure I will enjoy going through all these.
Great attention to detail and a large thank you for the effort and time in compiling these.
Kind regards,
FWD

(just for the record: my favourite cover is probably The Flat Broke Trio - Jack The Ripper).

Thanks FWD. I hope you enjoy it. I hadn't come across the Flat Broke Trio's version of Jack before, so thanks for that.

I repaired the spelling error on Disc 2 Track List - it had accidentally read 'Lifeguard Sleeping, Girl Dreaming' instead of 'Drowning'

Thanks FWD. I hope you enjoy it. I hadn't come across the Flat Broke Trio's version of Jack before, so thanks for that.

I repaired the spelling error on Disc 2 Track List - it had accidentally read 'Lifeguard Sleeping, Girl Dreaming' instead of 'Drowning'

In the spirit of sharing:
https://www.sendspace.com/file/4y805j
Flatbroke Trio's version of Jack The Ripper.
Kind regards,
FWD

This is fantastic. It all gels together so well. Hats off to Mr. R.

And.....there's a wee Easter Egg in there, if you can find it. Heh!

P.

This is fantastic. It all gels together so well. Hats off to Mr. R.

And.....there's a wee Easter Egg in there, if you can find it. Heh!

P.

Thanks for your kind words P. There are a few lil surprises dotted around for the eagle eared...

Thank you Mr Reynolds for this (and everything else historical) - I have been loving it all afternoon. Can only get up to London today but looking forward to the remaining gems tomorrow. All have been amazing so far

Thank you Mr Reynolds for this (and everything else historical) - I have been loving it all afternoon. Can only get up to London today but looking forward to the remaining gems tomorrow. All have been amazing so far

Thanks Andrew. Glad you are enjoying it.

Many thanks for this, Mr Reynolds; there are lots of tracks here that I'd never heard before.

Erin Merle's 'WDYFOFY' is a particular highlight; an absolutely beautiful version.

i also liked the "dialogue" before and after the Bowie track, very good.

Many thanks for this, Mr Reynolds; there are lots of tracks here that I'd never heard before.

Erin Merle's 'WDYFOFY' is a particular highlight; an absolutely beautiful version.

i also liked the "dialogue" before and after the Bowie track, very good.

Thanks for that. I really enjoyed working the Bowie bitch slaps into the track with Drive In Saturday! I have a dark heart! :D

You miss the wonderful Sandie Shaw covers

Of course I realise these things will always and forever be ‘subjective’ and some may balk at the inclusion/exclusion of certain tracks, so apologies if you are that person. I have tried to include as wide a range of styles and approaches to demonstrate the incredible diversity that exists within the art of Smiths/Morrissey tributes.

and thanks for that, is a great compilation!
maybe if you do a fourth album you could add these and the killers' "why dont you find out..."
and I tought that is a "world peace is none..." cover already.

and thanks for that, is a great compilation!
maybe if you do a fourth album you could add these and the killers' "why dont you find out..."
and I tought that is a "world peace is none..." cover already.

I'm already sorting something out for you Hornyssey! Stay tuned. Oooo - can you link me to a World Peace cover?

Ok guys - I've added two extra tracks to the set. If you want to add them click the link and just slot the new tracks in.

The first addition is to Disc 1 and is thanks to Uncleskinny who sent me Jazzanova's sublime AND bizarre 'Dial-A-Cliche'. It fits perfectly after the horns and parps of Marc Ronson's 'Stop Me' but I had to edit the start of 'Dial-A-Cliche' into the fade out of 'Stop Me' so I have included a new 'Stop Me' to swap with the old version as well.

Fine Lights New Disc 1 Tracklist.jpg

The second addition is to Disc 2. I have added Sandie Shaw's 'Jeane' to the end of the disc. It can just be slotted in as track 18 after 'Back To The Old House'.

Fine Lights New Disc 2 Tracklist.jpg

Thanks again for all your enthusiastic responses. I am working on a similar project collecting together all Morrissey's pre-concert tape tracks.

Mr R

Everything of worth.jpg

https://www.sendspace.com/file/1qwgxc

Ok guys - I've added two extra tracks to the set. If you want to add them click the link and just slot the new tracks in.

The first addition is to Disc 1 and is thanks to Uncleskinny who sent me Jazzanova's sublime AND bizarre 'Dial-A-Cliche'. It fits perfectly after the horns and parps of Marc Ronson's 'Stop Me' but I had to edit the start of 'Dial-A-Cliche' into the fade out of 'Stop Me' so I have included a new 'Stop Me' to swap with the old version as well.

View attachment 32569

The second addition is to Disc 2. I have added Sandie Shaw's 'Jeane' to the end of the disc. It can just be slotted in as track 18 after 'Back To The Old House'.

View attachment 32570

Thanks again for all your enthusiastic responses. I am working on a similar project collecting together all Morrissey's pre-concert tape tracks.

Mr R

View attachment 32571

https://www.sendspace.com/file/1qwgxc

Well I'm not sure about these WPINOYB covers:
https://soundcloud.com/nedraggett/sets/ilx-pre-covers-world-peace-is-none-of-your-business

Mr Reynolds I really enjoyed listening to them, thanks a lot...

Back
Top Bottom