Fiona Dodwell: "10 Underrated Morrissey Tracks You Need To Hear Today" (November 3, 2020)

10 Underrated Morrissey Tracks You Need To Hear Today

"It’s hard to believe that the man who carved out his niche as the patron saint of the outcast in the 80's is now in his fourth decade of music-making. There’s a lot of internet mythology and needless controversy surrounding Morrissey, but despite this, few would dare to contend the fact that the British music icon has penned more than his fair share of classics.

Whether it’s the garage rock grittiness of his 2009 release Years of Refusal, or the sweeping strings and classical sounding sobriety of Ringleaders of the Tormentors, Morrissey has nailed it again and again both as a lyricist and a vocalist."

Update:
November 4, 2020 - now linked to by Central and using another 'shopped image by Victor Esparza.
0_b65xz8.jpg

Regards,
FWD.

Why is it that, even though I truly love most of Morrissey's work and most of the songs she mentions here (she even included a few of my favourites), I find Fiona's articles unbearable, almost unreadable...
Because she’s as sycophantic as the et come. You can’t take anything she says seriously.

According to Fiona they're

Art-Hounds
The Teachers Are Afraid Of The Pupils
It's Over
I'm OK By Myself
Home Is A Question Mark
Little Man, What Now?
Wide To Receive
World Peace Is None Of Your Business
Something Is Squeezing My Skull
To Me You Are A Work Of Art
Well most of these I wouldn’t say are underrated. More sycophantic nonsense.

According to Fiona they're

Art-Hounds
The Teachers Are Afraid Of The Pupils
It's Over
I'm OK By Myself
Home Is A Question Mark
Little Man, What Now?
Wide To Receive
World Peace Is None Of Your Business
Something Is Squeezing My Skull
To Me You Are A Work Of Art
Thanks you for your help.... 3 songs on here girl, that I never listen to , wide, I’m ok, teachers..... the rest are in my soul as bazclassics.... the rest i couldn’t pull apart , olde Fiona is , again on the button ... again

And

I SAY .....

It’s not !

:p

:rock: :cool::thumb:

Adding a video doesn't help. I might watch it muted because Morrissey looks cute in the preview but there's no way I'm listening to this again...

Does she ever write about anything other than Moz?
Strange.
The choice of song is personal ofcourse but I disagree with many, and can’t find many compelling arguments in her writing to sway me otherwise.
Still, best of luck to her

Last edited:
Agree on art hounds

Agree on art hounds
I love Art-Hounds but I don't think it's underrated?

Same with Wide To Receive. One of my favourites, but I think it's widely appreciated?

Why is it that, even though I truly love most of Morrissey's work and most of the songs she mentions here (she even included a few of my favourites), I find Fiona's articles unbearable, almost unreadable...

I guess it is due to the way she comes across. It reads as if someone else is holding her pen. It feels as if she is paid for producing a certain number of articles about Morrissey.

That being said, it is an interesting selection of tracks. At least half of them would make my list too. I am missing a track from doggie though.

Thanks you for your help.... 3 songs on here girl, that I never listen to , wide, I’m ok, teachers..... the rest are in my soul as bazclassics.... the rest i couldn’t pull apart , olde Fiona is , again on the button ... again
Teachers drags on a bit but I tend to listen to full albums so all of these are very much on my radar.

She should have included more obscure tracks, b-sides etc.

Agree on art hounds
Should have been on world peace as a lead single, and not on the deluxe edition which I have ... my pal asked me on Saturday whilst having a leisurely gallon, if he could borrow world peace as he can’t find it anywhere on the net ....

I love Art-Hounds but I don't think it's underrated?

Same with Wide To Receive. One of my favourites, but I think it's widely appreciated?

These tracks are certainly loved by people like you and I, who have listened carefully to all of his albums. But they are all tracks from albums that are not his biggest commercial successes (with the exception of ROTT) and / or critically acclaimed, therefore she thinks that more casual fans may not have heard them. Which is probably true.

These tracks are certainly loved by people like you and I, who have listened carefully to all of his albums. But they are all tracks from albums that are not his biggest commercial successes (with the exception of ROTT) and / or critically acclaimed, therefore she thinks that more casual fans may not have heard them. Which is probably true.
Good point.

For me;

A Swallow on My Neck
I Know Very Well How I Got My Name
Nobody Loves Us
Black Eyed Susan
Dear God, Please Help Me
The Loop
Alsatian Cousin
Lifeguard Sleeping, Girl Drowning
My Love, Id Do Anything For You

Then again, neither mine nor Dodders list matter much, being personal opinion

I guess it is due to the way she comes across. It reads as if someone else is holding her pen. It feels as if she is paid for producing a certain number of articles about Morrissey.

That being said, it is an interesting selection of tracks. At least half of them would make my list too. I am missing a track from doggie though.
Which doggie song would you have included? Isn't the whole album kind of "underrated" given the circumstances? The only song I've seen receive a lot of praise was Once I Saw The River Clean.

Tags
fiona dodwell

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom