Fiona Dodwell: "10 Underrated Morrissey Tracks You Need To Hear Today" (November 3, 2020)

10 Underrated Morrissey Tracks You Need To Hear Today

"It’s hard to believe that the man who carved out his niche as the patron saint of the outcast in the 80's is now in his fourth decade of music-making. There’s a lot of internet mythology and needless controversy surrounding Morrissey, but despite this, few would dare to contend the fact that the British music icon has penned more than his fair share of classics.

Whether it’s the garage rock grittiness of his 2009 release Years of Refusal, or the sweeping strings and classical sounding sobriety of Ringleaders of the Tormentors, Morrissey has nailed it again and again both as a lyricist and a vocalist."

Update:
November 4, 2020 - now linked to by Central and using another 'shopped image by Victor Esparza.
0_b65xz8.jpg

Regards,
FWD.

some good songs on her list,work of art is one of my all time favourites.

I'm always bitterly disappointed not to see Tony The Pony in these lists.
why dont you just make up your own list and get tony the pony in like a bullet at number 1.

Should have been on world peace as a lead single, and not on the deluxe edition which I have ... my pal asked me on Saturday whilst having a leisurely gallon, if he could borrow world peace as he can’t find it anywhere on the net ....
I saw it on merchbar recently

In reference to a previous thread entitled 'Disasterpieces' (which followed on from another thread entitled 'Masterpieces'), & just to set the record straight on the views held at that time by the good and the great on here who chose to take part, the initial list looked like this:

1. This Song Doesn't End When It's Over
  2. People Are The Same Everywhere
  3. All The Young People Must Fall in Love
  4. Journalists Who Lie
  5. Get Off The Stage
  6. Neal Cassady Drops Dead
  7. At Last I Am Born
  8. Found Found Found
  9. The Kid's A Looker
  10. Scandinavia
  11. Oh phoney
  12. Who will protect us from the police?
  13. I Bury The Living
  14. Children in Pieces

This initial list was then reviewed, again by the good and the great on here, resulting in this greatly reduced second list:
  1. This Song Doesn't End When It's Over
  2. All The Young People Must Fall in Love
  3. Neal Cassady Drops Dead
  4. At Last I Am Born
  5. I Bury The Living

Subsequently, there were several challenges & strong cases put forward in support of all of these 5 tracks, resulting in all of them being removed from this second list entirely, as they were not considered to be 'disasterpieces' at all.

The conclusion reached was, therefore, that there are no tracks in the whole of Moz's catalogue which should be considered as 'disasterpieces'.

Anyone wishing to submit a legal challenge to this may do so via the normal channels pertaining to their country of origin.

Last edited by a moderator:
Very odd choices...I can think of 100 easily, but the ones that come to mind immediately are the other songs next to Art Hounds: Julie In The Weeds, One Of Our Own, Forgive Someone and Drag the River are some of my favorite songs of Morrissey's entire career.
yip, forgive someone is a fantastic song and never gets boring even after repeat listenings.

Why is it that, even though I truly love most of Morrissey's work and most of the songs she mentions here (she even included a few of my favourites), I find Fiona's articles unbearable, almost unreadable...
She’s not a particularly good writer. Also, she’s very assuming: Wide to Receive is a widely (and hugely) loved Morrissey gem, from my experience. As is Skull, and a few others on that list.

That was your opinion. I have the spreadsheet evidence. I had doubts about At Last I Am Born, but was persuaded otherwise. Not one track was widely considered a disasterpiece.
Your doubts were well founded.

Your doubts were well founded.
Yeah but I was easily persuaded out of my thinking at the time via some live versions...I still don't think it's a great track...it has much theatre & grandeur about it, which was what made me alter my view.

Yeah but I was easily persuaded out of my thinking at the time via some live versions...I still don't think it's a great track...it has much theatre & grandeur about it, which was what made me alter my view.
9:40am, and Mozmar is already on the sherry.

It’s cobblers. I remember buying the LP, 2pm on the day of its release, and I was given the permission to use a bar’s sound system to play the album through and repeated for the rest of the day.

On the first play, it was all good until the end of Pigsty, and then the place started to empty. By the time Born had concluded (at about 4pm) I was putting my own coat on.

Last edited by a moderator:
She’s not a particularly good writer. Also, she’s very assuming: Wide to Receive is a widely (and hugely) loved Morrissey gem, from my experience. As is Skull, and a few others on that list.
Wide to receive was off his worst selling album of the 90s, and wasn't a single so very few people in the real world will have heard of it.

10 Underrated Morrissey Tracks You Need To Hear Today

"It’s hard to believe that the man who carved out his niche as the patron saint of the outcast in the 80's is now in his fourth decade of music-making. There’s a lot of internet mythology and needless controversy surrounding Morrissey, but despite this, few would dare to contend the fact that the British music icon has penned more than his fair share of classics.

Whether it’s the garage rock grittiness of his 2009 release Years of Refusal, or the sweeping strings and classical sounding sobriety of Ringleaders of the Tormentors, Morrissey has nailed it again and again both as a lyricist and a vocalist."

Regards,
FWD.

Forgive someone
You must please remember
Always go back to these .....

Forgive someone
You must please remember
Always go back to these .....
Forgive Someone is as good as anything Morrissey has ever recorded. A truly gorgeous track. And that’s from someone presently listening to Perry Como’s version of Ave Maria.

By me if I recall correctly.

This initial list was then reviewed, again by the good and the great on here, resulting in this greatly reduced second list:
  1. People Are The Same Everywhere
The conclusion reached was, therefore, that People Are The Same Everywhere is a true disasterpiece and should never be played again.

Anyone wishing to submit a legal challenge to this may do so via the normal channels pertaining to their country of origin.
I'm glad we were able to sort this out. 🤗

Tags
fiona dodwell

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom