Fiona Dodwell: "Clones and conformity: Why cancel culture keeps fans thankful for Morrissey" (January 24, 2021)

Clones and conformity: Why cancel culture keeps fans thankful for Morrissey

"Morrissey has found himself slandered and targeted by mainstream publications who viscously criticise his words without even examining why he said them."

Regards,
FWD.

That sound you can hear is the sound of a dead horse being flogged. With each vapid 'article' the desperation deepens.

I'd like to know these publications that 'viscously criticise' - what are they doing, sending him out-of-date Golden Syrup, the bastards?

I've just re-read this, and the standard of writing and editing is absolutely dreadful, and that's putting the right-wing thesaurus aside. Just awful.

Fiona has a point.To be unaware of the censorship that is happening against those who hold conflicting views to the MSM,to pretend otherwise is ignorance.

Fiona has a point.To be unaware of the censorship that is happening against those who hold conflicting views to the MSM,to pretend otherwise is ignorance.
She doesn't mention the MSM. She does refer to 'mainstream publications' but that is so vague as to be meaningless. What she is complaining about is what she terms "[c]ancel culture and [the] woke mob" which just right-wing code for left-wingers and liberals. By doing so she falls into the trap of being just as bad as the people about which she complains.
Morrissey, by virtue of his fame, has a greater access to public attention than most people. That has never changed and certainly hasn't changed because of 'cancel culture and [the] woke mob'. What has changed is that fewer and fewer people seem interested in what he has to say. That isn't cancel culture, it's simply a manifestation of the fact that Morrissey's right to say what he likes does not confer on anyone else the duty to listen to, report, or care about what he thinks.
This 'article' is just the same hagiographical waffle that Dodwell always writes and it offers nothing in the way of insight or revelation. And I can't believe that someone typed this with a straight face:
"If the mainstream press and the internet trolls had their time many years ago, would Bowie have been cancelled? Would Presley have been banned from performing on TV?"

Nobody is 'cancelling' anyone - he has the freedom to say what he wants, when he wants. And the result of him having that freedom is that large swathes of his fanbase are turning away precisely because of what he's said. It's no one else's fault but his. If you want the public to part with their money for your product, then get them onside. He's finding out the hard way that his views don't sell.

Last edited:
“Cancel Culture” - Dodwell lets the mask slip. Keep an eye out for her in Spiked, or the Daily Mail. She‘s just another right-wing blabbermouth, intent on having her opinion heard, whether wanted or not.

The loops and theories she comes up with to try and rationalise some of Morrissey’s recent abominable comments, it appears, will never end.

There is no such thing as “Cancel Culture” and those who bang in about it are the modern equivalent of the “It’s PC gone mad” brigade of the 90’s. People have been called out for making a public arsehole of themselves since Adam was a lad. It’s nothing new.

I like "cancel culture." You can call it twitter mobs or whatever you want to but the only people responsible for actually cancelling anyone's career are the people whose careers have been "cancelled" and most of them are still able to work but they just find their audiences are much smaller.
Bill Cosby still performed up until the time he was convicted up rape. He wasn't getting any big endorsement deals but those morals clauses are a pesky thing.
As far as Morrissey and those who "viscously criticise his words without even examining why he said them," actually I think quite a bit of effort has been put into looking at why "he said" these unspecified words. It's all his fault. He made uninformed statements about things he knew nothing about in some cases - Spacey and Weinstein - and used purposely sensational language designed to get attention in other cases, "subspecies" and his idiotic statement about the deaths of the young people in Norway.
But he hasn't been cancelled. He has simply made a series of statements designed to get attention or create an uproar, and then when he succeeded in doing exactly what he set out to do he has complained about the results.
We who follow his statements more closely might argue that he's not actually a racist but simply a xenophobe but you can't blame people who don't bother to carefully weigh every word and give the benefit of the doubt to his intention every time when he doesn't bother to weigh those words himself.
He's a troll and he has been since the beginning. When it was aimed at other pop stars or people in positions of power like Thatcher or the Queen it was acceptable, but when it's aimed at a nation of people, or the victims of sexual predators it's not.

That sound you can hear is the sound of a dead horse being flogged. With each vapid 'article' the desperation deepens.

I'd like to know these publications that 'viscously criticise' - what are they doing, sending him out-of-date Golden Syrup, the bastards?

I've just re-read this, and the standard of writing and editing is absolutely dreadful, and that's putting the right-wing thesaurus aside. Just awful.
It's really good on a hagiographical waffle.

you read it twice ?

pitiful .

I like "cancel culture." You can call it twitter mobs or whatever you want to but the only people responsible for actually cancelling anyone's career are the people whose careers have been "cancelled" and most of them are still able to work but they just find their audiences are much smaller.
Bill Cosby still performed up until the time he was convicted up rape. He wasn't getting any big endorsement deals but those morals clauses are a pesky thing.
As far as Morrissey and those who "viscously criticise his words without even examining why he said them," actually I think quite a bit of effort has been put into looking at why "he said" these unspecified words. It's all his fault. He made uninformed statements about things he knew nothing about in some cases - Spacey and Weinstein - and used purposely sensational language designed to get attention in other cases, "subspecies" and his idiotic statement about the deaths of the young people in Norway.
But he hasn't been cancelled. He has simply made a series of statements designed to get attention or create an uproar, and then when he succeeded in doing exactly what he set out to do he has complained about the results.
We who follow his statements more closely might argue that he's not actually a racist but simply a xenophobe but you can't blame people who don't bother to carefully weigh every word and give the benefit of the doubt to his intention every time when he doesn't bother to weigh those words himself.
He's a troll and he has been since the beginning. When it was aimed at other pop stars or people in positions of power like Thatcher or the Queen it was acceptable, but when it's aimed at a nation of people, or the victims of sexual predators it's not.
🍰
Fake C are you talking to yourself in this incoherent psycho babble?:( cancelled not cancelled cancelled a lot cancelled a litte bit FFS which is it?:mad:
where did you learn that dumb word 'hagiographical' anyways? From your twitter feed?:blushing:

"Damon, give her a fiver and some birthday cake leftovers from auntie. She's so right and this time, people must understand. If not, to hell with all the ignorant people. To hell with them."

She likes her “Silent Majority” and “Cancel Culture” slogans. Such favourites of the right wing press.

A living and breathing cliche.

Had anybody heard of this Fiona Dodwell until recent times? No? Didn’t think so.

There is a vicious cancel culture - it's not a right-wing concept - it was something noticed within progressive circles years ago.

Left-wing people were getting harassed & deplatformed by other left-wingers because something they said was deemed problematic.

At the same time Twitter was starting to hound anyone who came to their attention for a bad tweet, or video or whatever enraged them. They'd keep piling-on until the person was sacked or at the very least deleted their account.

And journalism became about clickbait - using outrage to drive likes, shares & RTs regardless of accuracy or proportion.

It's losing its power because employers are ignoring it more - talking about it makes the cancelled feel less powerless - & politically things are having to change.

I doubt Fiona knows much about it - she seems quite settled in the horror/romance scene.

And Morrissey's main problem is he hates talking to the press, he hates being on tv & he's not involved with social media so I assume he hates that as well.

It's not a great environment for a sensitive soul.

I was just thinking that we hadn't heard from the Duchess of Drivel for a while.

What are you talking about? You post on here everyday!

;)

I think it’s just part of the game of having a public audience and people should stop crying. This nothing new

Haven’t we all had ENOUGH of this dreary old subject? Dodwell seems like a broken record. Remember when it was all (mostly) about the music? Give it a REST. That goes for all you f***ing enablers on here as well, on both sides of the fence.

Tags
fiona dodwell

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom