Fiona Dodwell: "How Morrissey outran The Smiths (and why his critics will never admit it)" (February 18, 2021)

1_rVMgi2j7_fn70rcypLXkLg.jpeg

How Morrissey outran The Smiths (and why his critics will never admit it)

Excerpt:

"There’s an emergence of voices rising from the rotting grave of political correctness lately, in a feeble attempt to somehow make Morrissey’s art into nothing more than a shadow of The Smiths. In reality though, to many, he was the beating heart of the much-loved 80s quartet and unlike his bandmates, he became so much more.
There are many voices online using the tired old trope, “I won’t listen to Morrissey because I don’t agree with his views, but I’ll always have The Smiths.” If this sentiment were limited only to the dull echo chambers of anonymous social media users, it might not be so bad. Yet it does not stop there."

Regards,
FWD.

Now linked to by Central:

Reread your post #181

You basically said that if it’s alright for Morrissey to criticizes people then it’s alright for you to criticize people.

So he does have an influence over you.

Maybe the fog of fandom is getting too thick for you to reread your post?

Nope, no influence at all, he’s a singer who sometimes makes music I like. That’s about it.

Apropos of?

You asked what he was preserving. The answer is, nothing. He's just being wistful about gentrification.

from 2006:

20210220_222155.jpg

A year later the NME hack would take the same sentiment & turn it into another scandal.

Nope, no influence at all, he’s a singer who sometimes makes music I like. That’s about it.

Then you just changed your mind and are now going back on what you said..

which was basically that because Morrissey criticizes other people negatively then it’s justifiable for you to do the same ?

Then you just changed your mind and are now going back on what you said..

which was basically that because Morrissey criticizes other people negatively then it’s justifiable for you to do the same ?

Nope, I am me and I will say what I want, Morrissey is Morrissey and he will say what he wants.

To be fair - I did mention the cereal cafe because I feel people should be fascinated with this stuff.

Half an excuse & I'll be posting about Grunwick.

grunwick.jpg

Which is censorship - exactly what I said in my opening post. Everything you asked, I answered, and yet you haven't engaged with a single thing I've said - you've just parroted the same questions back at me about 'trying to change him' etc etc. Frustrating and pointless.

🤒

Oy look whos talking now. Like you havent tried to have peeps here banned, Ms Censorship.:blushing:

The.Truth is: nobody knows her motives.

I'd bet it's love and devotion.

Self-love and self-promotion.
The article is not about Morrissey.
The article is about a woman trying to get linked by Morrissey Central and pretend that she is indeed a well known journalist.

I would get a red hat with the phrase "Make Julia Great Again" if they were available. I think she was honest and sincere.

Fiona... She only cares about herself.

Self-love and self-promotion.
The article is not about Morrissey.
The article is about a woman trying to get linked by Morrissey Central and pretend that she is indeed a well known journalist.

I would get a red hat with the phrase "Make Julia Great Again" if they were available. I think she was honest and sincere.

Fiona... She only cares about herself.

Julia used to run the website, Fiona is an eminent journalist FFS 🤒

I don't know for sure but I don't see why his political views would put her off.

HAHAHA! Well it put us all off so she is in good company. How can you not realize that we dont want our singers to be racists ? Amazing!

Nope, I am me and I will say what I want, Morrissey is Morrissey and he will say what he wants.

Yes, but you used Morrissey’s behavior as an example to justify your own.

I’m sorry Morrissey has such a powerful influence over you.

Reread your post #181

You basically said that if it’s alright for Morrissey to criticize people then it’s alright for you to criticize people.

Waste of time debating with her Amy. She asked what are people trying to achieve by criticising Morrissey when Morrissey himself has a track record of criticising lots of people, for example....

The Mayor of London tells us about ‘Neighborhood policin’ — what is ‘policin’? He tells us London is an ‘amazin’ city. What is ‘amazin’? This is the Mayor of London! And he cannot talk properly!”

What was Morrissey's goal with his criticism of Sadiq Khan's? As far as I can tell, Khan still speaks the way he always has, so Morrissey achieved nothing apart from adding fuel to the fire for people who think he's a racist.

Khan is vile.

HAHAHA! Well it put us all off so she is in good company. How can you not realize that we dont want our singers to be racists ? Amazing!
Morrissey isn't a racist and he isn't right-wing. If you ask people who are close to Morrissey like his friends they will tell you that Morrissey doesn't have a racist bone in his body.

Does anyone know for sure what happened to superfan Julia Riley?

I like both Julia Riley and Fiona Dodwell.

Morrissey isn't a racist and he isn't right-wing. If you ask people who are close to Morrissey like his friends they will tell you that Morrissey doesn't have a racist bone in his body.

Yes. #TheNephew came on the scene with his idiotic photoshops and Julia's site disappeared. She was made an #unperson after decades of loyal service so that the new site could become the official voice.
Oh wait, it's not really the official voice whenever it posts anything political or some youtube conspiracy video. When that happens it's all blamed on #TheNephew

All the threads about "what happened to Julia?" ended up revealing that nobody here really knows what happened between Morrissey and Julia.

The obvious fact is that they distanced from each other and it's obvious that they both agreed about not talking about what happened (or maybe they didn't even need to explicitly say "let's not talk about it", but such thing became, at least, an implicit rule in their new non-relationship).

Other than that, I admire Morrissey and I actually despise Fiona.

There isn't any difference between Fiona and the infamous Guardian.

The Guardian says "Morrissey is nazi, that's horrible"
Fiona says "Morrissey is nazi, that's courageous".

In the long run, Morrissey isn't nazi and both the Guardian and Fiona are using Morrissey for opposite and yet complementary political agendas... But the two of them are [unsert a word that your grandma would not dare to pronounce here]. That's it.

Yeah, it must have been someone else who said all those things in support of extreme right-wing organisations and people and singled out a brown mayor for criticism

Last edited:
I'm not sure why anyone gives Dodwell's writing a moment's consideration. It's not even Guardian-level opinion tripe, this is a self-published blog that anyone can write for, and of no more literary worth than anyone else's random posts on Twitter or Facebook. All she does is repeat variations of her one 'Morrissey is a genius and everyone who doesn't agree is wrong' story, time after time. The only reason this crap gets posted to the main page, is because her tongue is so far up Morrissey's backside that Sam automatically pimps whatever drivel she publishes.

I wouldn't mind if this stuff was insightful, or well-written, or even vaguely original - but it's just the same brownnosing shite, over and over. Get a grip, woman.

Tags
fiona dodwell

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom