Flint, MI show cancelled; Minneapolis, Chicago postponed (updated)

UPDATE 4:25PM PT:

Link posted by lindsey1151:

Press release - true-to-you.net
24 January 2013

Morrissey's concert tonight, January 24, in Flint, MI has been cancelled and subsequent performances in Minneapolis (1/25) and Chicago (1/26) are currently being postponed due to band illness. Those who have already purchased tickets for tonight's show in Flint will be refunded their full ticket price. Those who have already purchased tickets for performances in Minneapolis and Chicago are highly encouraged to hold on to their tickets and look out for rescheduled dates. The tour will resume Monday, January 28 in Asheville, NC.

Morrissey would like to thank everyone for their understanding and patience and wishes his band a speedy recovery!

Terry sends word from the venue that tonight's show in Flint, MI is cancelled due to Morrissey's illness.

UPDATE 2:15PM PT:

Twitter updated from the venue:

https://twitter.com/TheWhitingFlint/status/294550746832187392

Due to artists' illness, tonight's performance of MORRISSEY has been cancelled. Refunds will be given at point of purchase.

Last edited:
Re: Article: Tonight's Flint, MI show cancelled; Minneapolis, Chicago postponed (upda

Drove from London Ontario to Flint, took the day off. Last time. This happens too often and is just too risky anymore. Seen his bus in the back of Whiting... They were there. Talked to one of his crew..didn't spill anything but he was apologetic. I was worried his mum died. I have to say though ..the whole band is sick eh? It would be my advice too, if I were a promoter to shift the blame. Imagine, another show cancelled by Morrissey himself. Well whatever the reason. This fan since 1995 is done. Retired. Cost way more than just a ticket. Over the years this has happened way too many times. It's like that employee that's great and all but they keep calling in sick and eventually you just gotta let them go.

I did the same trip if there is a next time give me a shout! :)

Re: Chicago-based Morrissey fan laments another show postponement...

http://1001tangents.wordpress.com/2013/01/26/morrissey-its-time-the-tale-were-told/

The announcement came quick on Thursday evening when the XRT announcer said stop me if you think you’ve heard this one before and proceeded to say that Morrissey was postponing yet another show. At first, I wanted to hang the dj, but realized we’d have to stretch out and wait. Unfortunately for Chicago’s Morrissey fans, it was not a miserable lie. Of course now, mere hours from when the show was to begin after being rescheduled from October, I wish it was, although the joke isn’t funny anymore.

Of course, I along with others was disappointed. I had to ask myself, now what would I do on Saturday evening? Well, I wonder? Perhaps go to the arts & crafts spectacular? I felt despair, and thought to myself, please, please, please let me get what I want. I continued driving but had to focus to not reel around the fountain. I really felt like I was in a draize train, thinking perhaps Moz was telling his adoring fans “I don’t owe you anything.” The mere thought of that certainly did paint a vulgar picture.

It seemed at least his Chicago show, now postponed twice, was definitely under a black cloud. Certain people I know reacted with laughter, calling him the new Pavarotti. Of course, they are the types of people who hate it when their friends become successful and if I wanted to know what they thought I’d dial-a-cliche. They will laugh at me, but I am hated for loving.

Heaven knew I was miserable now yet I kept I kept telling myself that things would be okay. I tried to stay positive but would quickly revert to despair. For a bit, I was lost. I said things like “Dear God please help me.” Then, I’d go back to being optimistic: I know it’s gonna happen someday. Morrissey must know — he knows I’d love to see him. Perhaps I was being dramatic. I felt maladjusted. It just seemed like maybe we did something wrong? Could it be that we just haven’t earned it yet, baby? I don’t know but is it really so strange?

Maybe he didn’t need it anymore. Money changes everything after all. For a second I thought to myself, I know it’s over. No, that can’t be. He’s always put on great shows and never gained a reputation for not caring for his fans.

When I arrived home from driving on the streets I ran, I was starting to gather my senses. I went from shock to panic to wondering what difference does it make?

At least the story was interesting. Morrissey is and continues to be unique in society. The world is full of crashing bores, yet not him. Quite simply, there is no heir apparent. He is the last of the famous international playboys.

The first postponement was because of his sick mother. This time, despite rumors, he doesn’t have a girlfriend in a coma. This time, he and his bandmates are sick. Any thoughts that he was faking it were squashed when I heard him sing “you said that I was ill and you were not wrong” in my head.

Frankly Mr. Shankly I hope it’s the last time. I’m sure it will be. This night has opened my eyes and I’m sure I wasn’t the only one to want to tell Moz, whatever happens, I love you. I’m sure in the future when all’s well he’ll reschedule. I don’t know if we’ll learn the new date tomorrow. How soon is now? That was a joke. For now, I’m ok by myself.

So, until then, there is a light that never goes out. Morrissey, I like you. I will see you in far off places and hopefully in Chicago soon. When you do come back, you’re gonna need someone on your side so do give me a call when you get into town.

READER MEET AUTHOR: Bob Chiarito is a freelance writer based in Chicago and a Morrissey fan. When asked why he wrote this, he simply stated “I keep mine hidden.”

Ever kissed a girl Bob ?

Re: Article: Tonight's Flint, MI show cancelled; Minneapolis, Chicago postponed (upda

I did the same trip if there is a next time give me a shout! :)

I'm another one from London! I wonder if there's enough of us here to have a meet up and a pint sometime. Maybe at the Morrissey house?

Just refund Chicago and Minneapolis so those of us dumb enough to put the $ towards other shows can do so. For those of you who have never been canceled on at the last minute and want to know how it feels... watch the part in Vacation when the Griswolds find out that Wally World is closed? Yeah, it's pretty much just like that. If you are considering going to the Dallas show, don't. I used live there and the Palladium is one of the easily the worst venue in the city unless you like meathead security and bad sightlines. The shows were called off because Morrissey didn't feel like traveling from Flint to Minneapolis and then back to Chicago. Can't blame him but why agree to do it in the first place?

Look at the remaining schedule - NO WAY HE IS ABLE TO MAKE UP THESE DATES BEFORE FINISHING ON WEST COAST AND HEADING TO MEXICO. I paid 5 times face value for my front row ticket from a re-seller - so now i get $75 refund from promoter. Your right, just cancel so we can move on.

My money is on Morrissey NOT re-booking Chicago and Minneapolis. If you think he will rebook, I have two front row seat tickets I will sell you.

Hey I'm yet another fan in London, Ontario, someone drop me a line :)

I paid 5 times face value for my front row ticket from a re-seller - so now i get $75 refund from promoter.

My last three shows i was in the front row and never did I pay five times more for the ticket. Actually, I've never paid more than 50% above face value. How far advance did you buy your ticket(s)? Go thru stubhub and wait until you really have to pull the trigger. Tickets sell slow but prices tend to drop quickly. I buy mine 2-1 weeks before a show. and I only buy first or second row (and if it's second row I magically end up in first anyways. That's rock n roll - don't be chained to your seats, mix your sweat with others).

Last minute canceling is not fair. The Minneapolis concert was now cancelled twice. We had hotel rooms we had to pay for both times due to short notice & could not be refunded for. Plus out of town people traveling to get here to attend the show. You don't cancel the morning of when you are hospitalized.
I will not fall into this trap again. No more tickets to see Morrissey, ever. I could understand the first time, but not twice. Sorry but I am very disappointed.

part of me feels like it's really shitty that he hasn't issued a big apology yet and the other part of me questions whether he should really have to apologize for being sick.

part of me feels like it's really shitty that he hasn't issued a big apology yet and the other part of me questions whether he should really have to apologize for being sick.

Grapevine: Morrissey checks out of Royal Oak hospital

Morrissey released from Beaumont Hospital

British singer Morrissey has been released from a Metro Detroit hospital and is expected to make a full recovery, his publicist said on Monday. According to publicist Lauren Papapietro, Morrissey checked himself into Beaumont Hospital in Royal Oak on Friday. After undergoing tests, he was diagnosed with a bleeding ulcer and subsequently rescheduled at least six shows, she said.

"Morrissey is expected to make a full recovery and thanks everyone concerned for their support during this time …," Papapietro said.

"Morrissey apologizes greatly for any and all inconvenience and looks forward to continuing his U.S. tour."

Morrissey was in the Detroit area last week ahead of his scheduled concert in Flint on Thursday, which ended up being canceled. He last played a show in Columbus, Ohio, Tuesday. Morrissey is scheduled to be back on stage in Las Vegas on Feb. 9.

http://www.detroitnews.com/article/20130129/ENT09/301290342#ixzz2JO0GS42Z

Those of you complaining about him getting sick and canceling....have you forgot he is a HUMAN BEING. Have a little empathy, ya know? I have an idea it doesn't make him happy to be letting his fans down. If you're going to be all angry because the man is sick and go on about how you'll never buy another ticket again, are you really that much of a loyal fan anyways?

Those of you complaining about him getting sick and canceling....have you forgot he is a HUMAN BEING. Have a little empathy, ya know? I have an idea it doesn't make him happy to be letting his fans down. If you're going to be all angry because the man is sick and go on about how you'll never buy another ticket again, are you really that much of a loyal fan anyways?

Yeah.. I'm sorry for shit I said. I said bad stuff here..and I love morrissey, it just happens a lot and I'm a sore loser.
He's gettin old. But I knew all along that bogus statement about him wishing his band well was crap. That's what put me off,that and the money I lost. Over it now and sorry. Glad he is recovering, all I want is a new album :D

Grapevine: Morrissey checks out of Royal Oak hospital

Morrissey released from Beaumont Hospital

British singer Morrissey has been released from a Metro Detroit hospital and is expected to make a full recovery, his publicist said on Monday. According to publicist Lauren Papapietro, Morrissey checked himself into Beaumont Hospital in Royal Oak on Friday. After undergoing tests, he was diagnosed with a bleeding ulcer and subsequently rescheduled at least six shows, she said.

"Morrissey is expected to make a full recovery and thanks everyone concerned for their support during this time …," Papapietro said.

"Morrissey apologizes greatly for any and all inconvenience and looks forward to continuing his U.S. tour."

Morrissey was in the Detroit area last week ahead of his scheduled concert in Flint on Thursday, which ended up being canceled. He last played a show in Columbus, Ohio, Tuesday. Morrissey is scheduled to be back on stage in Las Vegas on Feb. 9.

http://www.detroitnews.com/article/20130129/ENT09/301290342#ixzz2JO0GS42Z

mmm, that's a pretty indirect, strange way of apologizing. oh well. we'll see.

Please cancel so I can get my money back.

You can get your money back right now if you want. Just call the place where you bought your tickets. You bought a ticket for a performance on a certain date. That date did not happen, so you are entitled to a refund regardless of whether or not he reschedules. Pick up the phone. The venue and promoter are hoping you don't - but legally they need to refund you if requested during this limbo period.

According to the Adam Carolla podcast, Adam played this same venue in Flint a few weeks after this show. While Adam was talking to one of the venue employees, the employee told him that they misspelled Morrissey's name on the marquee, and that Morrissey told his driver to "keep driving" past the venue. In other words, Moz cancelled this particular Flint gig because of his marquee spelling (if you believe everything you hear).

Re: do not revive dead thread

According to the Adam Carolla podcast, Adam played this same venue in Flint a few weeks after this show. While Adam was talking to one of the venue employees, the employee told him that they misspelled Morrissey's name on the marquee, and that Morrissey told his driver to "keep driving" past the venue. In other words, Moz cancelled this particular Flint gig because of his marquee spelling (if you believe everything you hear).

:rolleyes:
We already knew the story which had been reported in February 2013:
http://www.morrissey-solo.com/threa...ssey-s-tour-manager-on-podcast?highlight=adam

Best. Morrissey. Story. Ever.:thumb:

There is no marquee at The Whiting in Flint.

Upon further review, this story sounds suspicious. The Flint date (along with many others) was cancelled on the 22nd of October, four days before it was scheduled to occur. Between the announcement & the Flint date were the cancelled shows in Pittsburgh (the 23rd) and Columbus (the 24th). So did Morrissey drive past the Flint venue almost a week before the show, see his name spelled incorrectly, and cancel multiple shows?
Even though this story fits with the view of Morrissey being a petulant, spoiled prima donna, it does not ring true.

There is no marquee at The Whiting in Flint.

Boom! Thanks gretch!

He seems to have some sort of love affair with Flint...or at least the word. He mentioned it at Staples Center in the zig zag part of the safety haven song the title of which is escaping my mind. :squiffy:

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom