Friday Mourning

Lost

I love this song. Especially the 'live' version on the Earl's Court album where his voice sounds so rich.

But what is it actually about?
Has the person/subject of the song been arrested for a serious crime? "Dawn raid," "when Kick me down the stairs,"When they haul me down the hall," ect. Or has he died in the night? E.g. references to "dressed in black," "I'm not coming back" and the word "Mourning" in the title.

As i said, wonderful song, but i can't make head nor tail of it. Maybe it's obvious and i'm being dim. :crazy:
Or maybe its the enigmatic nature of the song that makes it so good and i'll regret posting because i'm disappointed with the truth. :doh:

Friday Mourning

Friday mourning
I'm dressed in black
Douse the houselights
I'm not coming back
For years I warned you
Through tears I told you
Friday mourning
There comes a time
A flaw that breaks
This very smug mug of mine
This dawn raid
Soon put paid to all the things
I whispered to you at night time
And I will never stand naked
In front of you, or if I do
It won't be for a long time
Look once to me
Look once to me-then look away
Look once to me-then look away
And when they haul me down the hall
And as when they kick me down the stairs
I see the faces all lined up before me
Of teachers and of parents
And bosses, who
All share a point of view
"you are a loser
you are a loser"
(loser)
a loser
a loser
a loser
Friday / Friday mourning
Dressed in black
I won't be coming back
Friday / Friday mourning
Dressed in black
I won't be coming back

Last edited:
I always thought of it as a farewell song to the fans.

Douse the house lights
I'm not coming back

He's dressed in black and he's mourning the death of his music career or the live aspect of it.

Just my own take on it.

I always thought of it as a farewell song to the fans.

Douse the house lights
I'm not coming back

He's dressed in black and he's mourning the death of his music career or the live aspect of it.

Just my own take on it.

I like that.

I've always thought it was a suicide note to his fans.

Me three.

I love the audible ...dressed in black *inhale/lick lips* douse the house lights... on the Earl's Court disc. Frinkayyy. :horny:

Great outro filler, too. ba da ba ba da...

I've always thought it was a suicide note to his fans.

NO! :tears:
I don't see that at all....

I think this song is incredibly romantic and cinematic. I see a lot of Morrissey's songs as mini movies.

This one makes me think of a lover leaving a relationship that was doomed from the beginning. I.e.: I told you this would end, I told you I'd have to leave you, and now here we are, this is the moment we part. But this person isn't being coldhearted, he/she is genuinely sad and angry at the circumstances in their life preventing them from getting what they want. They aren't happy to walk away, but they must.

So scrumptiously heartbreaking, it has made me cry many times.

"Look once to me-then look away "
^ so simple, yet it says so much

....and, cut ;)

I think this song is incredibly romantic and cinematic. I see a lot of Morrissey's songs as mini movies.

This one makes me think of a lover leaving a relationship that was doomed from the beginning. I.e.: I told you this would end, I told you I'd have to leave you, and now here we are, this is the moment we part. But this person isn't being coldhearted, he/she is genuinely sad and angry at the circumstances in their life preventing them from getting what they want. They aren't happy to walk away, but they must.

....and, cut ;)

Well, don't you remember how early on he was always talking about how he'd end in suicide one day? I used to worry about him terribly.

I've always thought it was about.......the same as all the others. Isn't that why we love him though? The common theme. Songs in diary form. There's at least one line in each Mozz song that I can relate to. I don't get that with any other lyricist.

I don't think it is safe to assume that the person in this song, or any of Morrissey's songs is Morrissey himself. He creates characters just like any other writer. Sometimes it might be him but not always.

I love the fact that people have different interpretations of this song. I was hoping for that. Perhaps it doesn't really matter what it means. Maybe there's no right answer.

The pleasure lies in how we all relate to it and what we all get from it as individuals.

I like them all so far, but my favourite is Je Suis Julie's interpretation.

I don't think it is safe to assume that the person in this song, or any of Morrissey's songs is Morrissey himself. He creates characters just like any other writer. Sometimes it might be him but not always.

I love the fact that people have different interpretations of this song. I was hoping for that. Perhaps it doesn't really matter what it means. Maybe there's no right answer.

The pleasure lies in how we all relate to it and what we all get from it as individuals.

I like them all so far, but my favourite is Je Suis Julie's interpretation.

I was probably a bit too flippant in my answer. Yeah, he creates characters, like any other writer. But he inhabits their life too. He rarely writes about another person in a song without putting a piece of him in there too. There are, of course, exceptions to the rule - Dagenham Dave, Roy's Keane etc...

I was probably a bit too flippant in my answer. Yeah, he creates characters, like any other writer. But he inhabits their life too. He rarely writes about another person in a song without putting a piece of him in there too. There are, of course, exceptions to the rule - Dagenham Dave, Roy's Keane etc...

I didn't think you were being flippant.

Yes, I agree with what you say there.

I sort of see this song as a companion piece to "Late Night, Maudlin Street"...possibly the other side of the story, the lover left behind after the character in the former song moves house, who then too decides to leave.
"look once to me, then look away" - when the narrator of LNMS leaves for the last time.

the imagery of "this dawn raid" is beautiful.
i don't know why
but it is.

I sort of see this song as a companion piece to "Late

i don't know why
but it is.

I agree, it is beautiful. It could be a metaphor for a number of things though. The death of a relationship or even death itself. E.g. The person in the song could have been telling his family/partner he was ill but nobody took any notice. Then suddenly he dies in the night.

Makes me think of Spike Milligan's epitaph..."I told you i was ill."

Good old Spike. :lbf:

I sort of see this song as a companion piece to "Late Night, Maudlin Street"...possibly the other side of the story, the lover left behind after the character in the former song moves house, who then too decides to leave.
"look once to me, then look away" - when the narrator of LNMS leaves for the last time.

i don't know why
but it is.

I like these kind of linkages to songs, but I never seem to see them. Maybe I'm just too one dimensional. I always tend to look for that ONE line that hits me in each lyric - and of course the way he sings it too.

....and, cut ;)
this this this! :thumb:

Back
Top Bottom