Full Morrissey interview on news.com.au: Donald Trump, Miley Cyrus, Prince Harry, unreleased Smiths

Exclusive: Morrissey on Donald Trump, Miley Cyrus, Prince Harry and unreleased Smiths material - news.com.au
By Cameron Adams, News Corp Australia Network

There's so much here. But, forgive me - calling George Galloway and Nigel Farage liberal educators - what f***ing world does he live in. f***ing hell. he's finally lost it.

Media coverage:

Related item:

Last edited by a moderator:
My new favorite phrase, "I paddle my own canoe." ..."And I remember that I am alone. Alone."

Last edited:
It is obviously trolling. How can it not be? These people he mentions don't go hand in hand. Supposedly pro Farage and pro Galloway and, in between, nice things to say about Corbin? And then supposedly against Trump and Clinton? And pro Sanders who wants to welcome immigrants? And constant remarks about the fact that there is nobody in politics worth voting for. How does all of that make sense aside from confusing people?
Possibly it is, but then morrissey has always held views which may seem conflicting, for example he believes in "England for the English " but also believes in a free and united Ireland, you don't have politicians who believe in both these things, it's either right wing anti- immigration parties who support the loyalists or left wing Sinn Fein who are very pro immigration, but when you actually think about it isn't England for the English and Ireland for the Irish really the same thing? It's the right wing who are confused, they want to stop immigration while supporting the original immigrants in the north of Ireland, the Protestant planters, today's loyalists, that's the contradiction

Tour the "Out Back"...Blikey.I reckon talk about violating animal rights. Whenever I watch shows about Austrilialian on the Nat Geo channel those people are killing animals left and right. It's funny how Morrissey lives a Republican lifestyle in Malibu and says all that shit about Trump. Stop saying "ukip".

It is obviously trolling. How can it not be? These people he mentions don't go hand in hand. Supposedly pro Farage and pro Galloway and, in between, nice things to say about Corbin? And then supposedly against Trump and Clinton? And pro Sanders who wants to welcome immigrants? And constant remarks about the fact that there is nobody in politics worth voting for. How does all of that make sense aside from confusing people?
Quite true, it's not consistent at all apart from the common theme of these people being anti-establishment, which gives them a free pass regarding mostly anything else, no matter how unpalatable.

Nigel Farage joins crowd at Boxing Day hunt as debate rages over ban
http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/nigel-farage-joins-crowd-boxing-7074989

I've been a bit surprised at the anti-Clinton rhetoric from him. I am not a fan of her and distinctly recall him saying it was "time for Clinton" on the Larry King interview. I'm curious what made him go to Sanders.. because his first mention of Sanders seemed to come when Sanders mathematically had no real shot at winning..

He does like to keep us guessing..

Thoughts:
CNN decides elections? They spend too much time bending over backwards to show they are not liberal. Morrissey really doesn't understand elections in the US. Maybe that comes from living in LA but most of the country is conservative overwhelmingly state by state.....even though a slight majority of the people are liberal overall. It comes down to swing states, and how the candidates sway the middle independents in those states that decides elections and how much they motivate their supporters to vote for them. Social democratic values are usually painted as a welfare state for illegal immigrants. Not to mention that he is Jewish and that often won't play well with the undecided Christians.

How can anyone support Farage *AND Sanders? I don't know enough about Farage, but from what I do know...

He is trying to be coy about a Marr reunion by saying it is unimportant...I suppose that is better than the Smiths is dead. We get that you are tired of being asked the question....but dont pretend no one cares about it.

I've been a bit surprised at the anti-Clinton rhetoric from him. I am not a fan of her and distinctly recall him saying it was "time for Clinton" on the Larry King interview. I'm curious what made him go to Sanders.. because his first mention of Sanders seemed to come when Sanders mathematically had no real shot at winning..

I genuinely think he just likes rabble-rousing outsiders, who are kicking against the establishment - which is the only link between the wildly disparate politics of Sanders, Galloway and Farage - it's obviously a position he empathises with, as someone who considers himself the ultimate 'outsider'. The fact that he didn't say a word in support of Sanders until he was safely out of the race is key here - I expect he'd be offering words of praise to Donald Trump, if he was some rank outsider with no chance of actually getting elected.

That said, Morrissey has always been conservative with a small 'c', and harks back to a lost mythic past - kick the British out of Ireland; kick all the foreigners out of the UK, etc. So his support for Farage is no real surprise.

That said, Morrissey has always been conservative with a small 'c'; kick all the foreigners out of the UK, etc.

M in November 2015

His latest album has several political overtones. Do you have any opinion on the crisis of immigrants in Europe?

At this point, I think nobody takes care of anyone. Security does not exist. But I understand the position of migrants, because they are telling the world that they are opposed to staying undaunted by the rest of their lives, while White Trash jet set still driving the planet. Global poverty has been specifically designed, not an accident. That's what migrants are saying: we want what you have.

Let's step back for a moment. On this website, here's someone trying to rationalise, not apologise for, rationalise, being unpleasant to Muslims.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/craig-considine/muslims-are-not-a-race_b_8591660.html

Morrissey's comment was about an Islamic butchering practice. You are extrapolating that it's somehow against Muslims. Given his past statements about the floodgates of immigration, etc, I wouldn't be surprised if he has an issue with an Islamic mayor.
I think it's more complicated though. "I Will See You In Far Off Places," "Bengali In Platforms," and even "America Is Not The World," seem to suggest that his belief is actually accepting of different races and cultures but feeling that they should "stay where they is."
Most people do not see themselves as villains and Morrissey probably honestly feels that his xenophobic worldview is not racist or discriminatory. Halal butchering practices are controversial, and part of this is because of anti-Islamic sentiment. I read about halal butchering practices. Tesco in England says that the victims of halal slaughter are stunned, in accordance with law, before having their throats slit. But I looked for PETA's view on halal slaughter because this is most likely Morrissey's viewpoint. (PETA's boycott of Canada is the reason he won't play there but is scheduling dates in China.)
PETA has an article called " The Cruelty Behind Muslim Ritual Slaughter." You can see where this is going. They have video of a halal slaughterhouse in Belgium. What I learned is that in Belgium it is also required that animals be stunned before being slaughtered. However, they do allow an exception to this for "ritual slaughter practices" so that animals there do not have to be stunned. Now the quote from Tesco about practices in England is only about Tesco, so I think it's very likely that there is a similar situation in England where animals are slaughtered without being stunned.
I think it's more complicated than to say Morrissey's anti-halal comment is anti-Muslim.

Last edited:
Islam is a religion not a race and as such can be criticized as it deserves to be. A knife attack in the UK today,
another innocent victim is killed several injured.

M in November 2015

His latest album has several political overtones. Do you have any opinion on the crisis of immigrants in Europe?

At this point, I think nobody takes care of anyone. Security does not exist. But I understand the position of migrants, because they are telling the world that they are opposed to staying undaunted by the rest of their lives, while White Trash jet set still driving the planet. Global poverty has been specifically designed, not an accident. That's what migrants are saying: we want what you have.

Sure, he understands their position in the global scheme, he just doesn't want them taking over cities in the UK, and speaking their funny non-English languages: " Travel to England and you have no idea where you are... If you walk through Knightsbridge you'll hear every accent apart from an English accent."

But, we live in very politically charged times. It seems as though to those on the left, anyone who wants any kind of cap on immigration - such as Farage - is immediately called a racist and associated with Adolf Hitler.

Not a very enlightening interview at all but did I expect otherwise? The "anyone vegan is fantastic" comment seems to contradict his statements about Paul McCartney;) And how can he possibly like Miley's music? Just because I approve of somebody's lifestyle choice shouldn't endear me more towards their art which ultimately should stand by itself. If you want to read a great and enlightening Moz interview, check out the one from Filter magazine from a while ago. Or check out my thread on the forum:)

Err, because it's possible to have different opinions about various politicians and like them for different aspects of their behaviour. I know plenty of people who like politicians from right across the spectrum, including the likes of Galloway, Farage, Corbin and Sanders.

The main argument in this thread again comes down to the rather pathetic line of, "Anyone who backed Brexit must be a racist".

It's nonsense, of course, and an example of people throwing their toys out of the pram and being utterly incapable of accepting the opinions of others.

Tags
england is mine movie

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom