Galleria Miscellania Redux

That Marty has died a bunch of different times in the timeline and also that there are 3 different Martys in the first film.

Yes.

It's my favorite film. I could probably discuss the nuances / inconsistencies / fan theories / subtle details / etc. for days without stopping to eat.

Yes.

It's my favorite film. I could probably discuss the nuances / inconsistencies / fan theories / subtle details / etc. for days without stopping to eat.

So in your opinion, what happened to Rich Marty? Considering the past was changed and the McFlys were now rich and happy, isn’t it odd that Doc manipulated the life of an entirely different Marty so the original Marty could take his place? Also, doesn’t that mean there’s an extra DeLorean out there somewhere still?

Also, ignoring that it’s probably just an editing mistake, what’s up with the 3rd Marty? The one that is watching in the background when Doc dies? That means while it is still Twin Pines, theres an additional Marty.

So in your opinion, what happened to Rich Marty? Considering the past was changed and the McFlys were now rich and happy, isn’t it odd that Doc manipulated the life of an entirely different Marty so the original Marty could take his place? Also, doesn’t that mean there’s an extra DeLorean out there somewhere still?

Also, ignoring that it’s probably just an editing mistake, what’s up with the 3rd Marty? The one that is watching in the background when Doc dies? That means while it is still Twin Pines, theres an additional Marty.

1) It's more than I can go into here the way I'd like to but before I address your first question let me say I never understood why if the McFlys are so affluent and healthy in the new 1985 from the end of the first film, why are they still living in that tiny house in what is assumed to be a suburban neighborhood in decline and why does Dave still live at home if he has an office job. Also if George is a successful writer why at ALMOST 50 YEARS OLD is his first novel JUST getting published.

Let's call them Mcfly Fam 2.0.

2) Marty from Mcfly Fam 2.0. didn't die; he could never have existed. That Marty would likely not be into rock and roll and garage bands and hanging with an eccentric 65 year old scientist. That Marty would be much more like Alex Keaton. So if he existed at all, he was Quantum Leaped-out of that time-space location when the original Marty returned and took his place. He didn't "die." He ceased to exist. He actually didn't even cease to exist; his existence was retconned out within a nanosecond.

3) Biff tried to rape Lorraine. Why the f*** would George hire him for ANYTHING.

4) The Delorean that disappears into 1955 at the END of the first film is the same Delorean that arrived ten minutes prior to its takeoff when Marty ran out of fuel and had to run to the mall parking lot. When he gets there, for a few minutes YES there are two Deloreans. But once the Delorean goes to 1955 (which we, and the Marty who has just returned from 1955, now witness in the third person) there is only one; the one that stalled out by the drunk. (Rhett or whatever his name was.) It is that Delorean that Doc and Marty retrieve off-camera before Doc drops Marty home and says he (Doc) is going to 2015.

The same logic in point 3 regarding the Delorean's duplicity applies to the Marty that is witnessed in third person by the Marty who has just returned from 1955...unless your logic is saying that there was a Marty/Delorean off camera at the BEGINNING of the film, but I don't agree with that logic because the circumstances that their existence would have been predicated on would not have occurred yet in the timeline where Doc does not have a note to warn him of his own murder...just as in the original timeline Doc had no bulletproof vest. That vest's existence was contingent on events that had not yet taken place and WOULD not have EVER taken place (which tosses out the theory that they would be there anyway by virtue of eventuality.) In fact Marty didn't so much change history as create an alternate 1985, just as he did to much more negative effect in the second film.

1) It's more than I can go into here the way I'd like to but before I address your first question let me say I never understood why if the McFlys are so affluent and healthy in the new 1985 from the end of the first film, why are they still living in that tiny house in what is assumed to be a suburban neighborhood in decline and why does Dave still live at home if he has an office job. Also if George is a successful writer why at ALMOST 50 YEARS OLD is his first novel JUST getting published.

Let's call them Mcfly Fam 2.0.

The house isn't that small. I'd assume McFly Fam 2.0, while well off, simply moved from lower middle class to upper middle class...or they just live modestly. We don't know what George writes...he could have made a living writing short stories and eventually worked up to his first novel.

2) Marty from Mcfly Fam 2.0. didn't die; he could never have existed. That Marty would likely not be into rock and roll and garage bands and hanging with an eccentric 65 year old scientist. That Marty would be much more like Alex Keaton. So if he existed at all, he was Quantum Leaped-out of that time-space location when the original Marty returned and took his place. He didn't "die." He ceased to exist. He actually didn't even cease to exist; his existence was retconned out within a nanosecond.

If anything, the original Marty should have been the one to cease to exist. The moment he altered the events that led to his parents getting together he should have been wiped out. Marty 2.0 exists as a direct result of the changes made to the timeline. The only one without a place in time is the original Marty whose timeline doesn't exist anymore. Doc made a place for Marty Prime in Marty 2.0's world by manipulating Marty 2.0's life to the point the Libyan situation played out exactly the same as it did in the original timeline. The only way Doc could possibly ensure that Marty 2.0 didn't screw with this new timeline was to either kill him or send him on a one way trip he could never return from. But when I said that Marty died multiple times, I wasn't referring to this...but all the times Doc literally shows up out of nowhere to save Marty from danger when he otherwise wouldn't have known anything was wrong. Such as when he saves Marty from falling to his death off the top of the Pleasure Paradise. How could he possibly know to show up in the exact moment he was needed? Because its happened before.

3) Biff tried to rape Lorraine. Why the f*** would George hire him for ANYTHING.

Boys will be boys.

4) The Delorean that disappears into 1955 at the END of the first film is the same Delorean that arrived ten minutes prior to its takeoff when Marty ran out of fuel and had to run to the mall parking lot. When he gets there, for a few minutes YES there are two Deloreans. But once the Delorean goes to 1955 (which we, and the Marty who has just returned from 1955, now witness in the third person) there is only one; the one that stalled out by the drunk. (Rhett or whatever his name was.) It is that Delorean that Doc and Marty retrieve off-camera before Doc drops Marty home and says he (Doc) is going to 2015.

The same logic in point 3 regarding the Delorean's duplicity applies to the Marty that is witnessed in third person by the Marty who has just returned from 1955...unless your logic is saying that there was a Marty/Delorean off camera at the BEGINNING of the film, but I don't agree with that logic because the circumstances that their existence would have been predicated on would not have occurred yet in the timeline where Doc does not have a note to warn him of his own murder.

That doesn't make any sense. It can't be the same DeLorean because it is no longer the same timeline. It is 2.0 timeline so it is now the 2.0 DeLorean that goes to 1955 with Marty 2.0 driving...or at least we assume it goes to 1955. For any of this to matter, Doc has to make sure Marty 2.0 does not go to 1955...otherwise, its just a loop of one Marty replacing the next over and over.

There is another Marty on camera in the beginning of the film just before Doc gets shot. Which means, before the timeline as WE know it is changed, there's already another Marty watching Doc die.

The house isn't that small. I'd assume McFly Fam 2.0, while well off, simply moved from lower middle class to upper middle class...or they just live modestly. We don't know what George writes...he could have made a living writing short stories and eventually worked up to his first novel.

If anything, the original Marty should have been the one to cease to exist. The moment he altered the events that led to his parents getting together he should have been wiped out. Marty 2.0 exists as a direct result of the changes made to the timeline. The only one without a place in time is the original Marty whose timeline doesn't exist anymore. Doc made a place for Marty Prime in Marty 2.0's world by manipulating Marty 2.0's life to the point the Libyan situation played out exactly the same as it did in the original timeline. The only way Doc could possibly ensure that Marty 2.0 didn't screw with this new timeline was to either kill him or send him on a one way trip he could never return from. But when I said that Marty died multiple times, I wasn't referring to this...but all the times Doc literally shows up out of nowhere to save Marty from danger when he otherwise wouldn't have known anything was wrong. Such as when he saves Marty from falling to his death off the top of the Pleasure Paradise. How could he possibly know to show up in the exact moment he was needed? Because its happened before.

Boys will be boys.

That doesn't make any sense. It can't be the same DeLorean because it is no longer the same timeline. It is 2.0 timeline so it is now the 2.0 DeLorean that goes to 1955 with Marty 2.0 driving...or at least we assume it goes to 1955. For any of this to matter, Doc has to make sure Marty 2.0 does not go to 1955...otherwise, its just a loop of one Marty replacing the next over and over.

There is another Marty on camera in the beginning of the film just before Doc gets shot. Which means, before the timeline as WE know it is changed, there's already another Marty watching Doc die.

You're bringing up a few very intriguing counterpoints. I am going to research the beginning of the film and respond.

I will say this for now though: you're right that the original Marty should have ceased to exist, not Marty 2.0. But that would have created a massive paradox because then the entire mission would have never happened. Except in order for it to be unrendered, it would have to happen in the first place.

Quite the conundrum.

You're bringing up a few very intriguing counterpoints. I am going to research the beginning of the film and respond.

I will say this for now though: you're right that the original Marty should have ceased to exist, not Marty 2.0. But that would have created a massive paradox because then the entire mission would have never happened. Except in order for it to be unrendered, it would have to happen in the first place.

Quite the conundrum.

Remember the branching timeline Doc drew?

Think of it this way: the original timeline may well exist, and in a way has to exist in some form for Marty Prime to still exist, but it isn't a point in time anymore...its more like a parallel dimension. Marty Prime can't travel to that original timeline because he changed it...the only way he could restore it would be to travel further back in 1955 before he ever altered anything and make sure his other self doesn't interfere with the original events.

Boys will be boys.

"Boys will be boys"
So you don't think rape or attempted rape should be punished at all?

"Boys will be boys"
So you don't think rape or attempted rape should be punished at all?

DD682EE8-14A0-473B-BB1A-73CB24040D12.png

So I opened a can of worms. My question remains unanswered

I think if you read the context of the statement and consider the source, the answer should come to you.
If I consider the source, you, I can't imagine you raping anyone, so I would think that when you said boys will be boys you were citing a common attitude towards rape, not your own attitude.

If I consider the source, you, I can't imagine you raping anyone, so I would think that when you said boys will be boys you were citing a common attitude towards rape, not your own attitude.

Or, you know, I was joking.

Back
Top Bottom