Ganglord Video

Are standards so low? While it's nice to see unseen footage (Moz and jesse dancing!!) it's far from anything spectacular or moving.
Still... It's probably the best Morrissey video ever ;)

And, yes, Ganglord should have been on Ringleader and yes, it should have been a single.

I LOVE it. Althought the dancing bit threw me...

I think it's Death.
Death and Redemption.
It's all one big Memento mori.
*swoons*

Death and particularly cemetaries make great documentary subjects. I recall sometime around Halloween, the PBS stations showed a wonderful documentary about the history of cemeteries in America and why they were layed out and planned the way they are.

What an amazing place this is. I take it there is confirmation that this is the Hollywood cemetery? Don't know much about it, other than Morrissey is a frequent visitor.

and cats.

Last edited:
I loved it. Sultry and atmospheric with a air of danger. Morrissey is looking good and are Jesse and Solomon.
At last a well directed Morrissey video. well done Mr Roberts.

Exactly. It reminded me of Jarman, which I find a bit tedious.:lbf:

Jarman was a filmaker for his time. He's not a favorite of everyone but what he lacked in production values, he made up with alot of imagination and creativity.

I think the video captured the mood of the song, which makes it a success. There are some really subtle shots which are easy to overlook because they are so brief. The shadows gliding over the headstones, the beautiful barreos(?) murals which are so East LA.

The star of this video, besides Morrissey, is the use of light.

WOW:eek:

Great find!! love the Video, it's great !! :cool: oh and the dancing is funny :cool: much better video than arms around paris imo :guitar:

Jarman was a filmaker for his time. He's not a favorite of everyone but what he lacked in production values, he made up with alot of imagination and creativity.

I didn't mean Jarman as a filmmaker being tedious. This video simply reminded me of some Smiths videos shot by Jarman, it's nothing new or extraordinary.:straightface:

Last edited:
... but there's dancing. I think it's splendid:thumb:, it's beautiful:love:

Of course, it's beautiful. It actually needed the dancing at the end just to keep it from being such a moody piece. People tend to forget Morrissey has an outrageous sense of humor.

Sadly, I think there will be alot of conjecture about Moz and Jesse waltzing away, so I'm getting my raincoat on now.

I think the video captured the mood of the song, which makes it a success. There are some really subtle shots which are easy to overlook because they are so brief. The shadows gliding over the headstones, the beautiful barreos(?) murals which are so East LA.

Cinematography by Bryan Carberry.

Dammit, I got so distracted by this video that I missed most of Breakfast with the Smiths. Anybody record it?

I didn't mean Jarman as a filmmaker being tedious. This video simply reminded me of some Smiths videos shot by Jarman, it's nothing new or extraordinary.:straightface:

Oh, I see.

Yes, in that case it's not groundbreaking in originality.

Then again, this kind of format and setting is not usually the subject of a music video either so, that alone makes it extraordinary.

YES!!!!!

And the subtle details.....
I love the shot where the kids are scraping their fingers against the fence and then it becomes a caress on the mural where Moz and the boys were standing earlier.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom