Gary Day got mad at me

A

Anonymous

I was just remembering how I was at a bar after the Moz Tulsa concert in 2006 and all of the lads were there including Gary. He was so thin and frail looking compared to how he was in the '90s. Anyway, I asked him to sign the cd cover of Burglary years that I grabbed from my car because it has Pashernate Love on it and he cowrote that one. I innocently asked him which parts of that song he wrote wondering if it was more than just the bass line and he shot me an angry look and said nothing. I guess he thought I was taking the piss. So at that point I figured I would go for broke and ask about him engraving Die Wanker into Moz's front door with a knife. He literally walked right at me like he was going to deck me and then a guy that was with him stopped him. He walked off and began pacing back and forth like a caged animal. I just sat down and tried to look casual. I don't get it. So what if he did that way back when? I always thought it was funny. Guess not to him. He'd only been there few minutes. No way he was drunk yet.

I was just remembering how I was at a bar after the Moz Tulsa concert in 2006 and all of the lads were there including Gary. He was so thin and frail looking compared to how he was in the '90s. Anyway, I asked him to sign the cd cover of Burglary years that I grabbed from my car because it has Pashernate Love on it and he cowrote that one. I innocently asked him which parts of that song he wrote wondering if it was more than just the bass line and he shot me an angry look and said nothing. I guess he thought I was taking the piss. So at that point I figured I would go for broke and ask about him engraving Die Wanker into Moz's front door with a knife. He literally walked right at me like he was going to deck me and then a guy that was with him stopped him. He walked off and began pacing back and forth like a caged animal. I just sat down and tried to look casual. I don't get it. So what if he did that way back when? I always thought it was funny. Guess not to him. He'd only been there few minutes. No way he was drunk yet.
maybe it was a rumour which has stuck,if it never happened then you can understand why he would be pissed.

Probably better to just say hello and not ask for anything but I think it's pretty funny anyway asking him what parts he wrote.

maybe it was a rumour which has stuck,if it never happened then you can understand why he would be pissed.

4B127E88-D4BE-48D4-A81C-E6234D6CEA9A.jpeg

When I spoke to Gary about two or three years ago after a DJ set, he was a nice enough bloke, very approachable. He did seem rather nonchalant about his years as Morrissey's bassist however, which I found sad, but that's up to him. I asked him what M number he got most enjoyment as a musician to play live, seeing as I find the aspect of being a touring musician quite interesting, and he didn't really have one. He said the numbers all melted into one after years of playing them, which I understand when you're simply paid to play. He did reveal that much preferred playing the double bass back in the early days, and did laugh when he remembered the "homeless chihuahua" song, so that's something.

I think it's pretty funny anyway asking Gary Day what parts he wrote.

It's very rare in Morrissey land to have two musical co-writers on a song, so its understandable why the OP would inquire about it. I think "Pashernate Love," "Let The Right One Slip In," and "You Know I Couldn't Last" are the only Whyte/Day co-writes in existence while "Mexico," "The Slum Mums," and "Noise Is The Best Revenge" are Boorer/Day compositions.

I've always read stories about Gary being a nice and approachable bloke so I'm quite surprised about his behavior here. However, it was during the 2006 Ringleader tour which was his second consecutive tour without Alain. Given the changes in both his personal and professional life at the time, I can't speculate as to the frame of mind he was in at the time prior to leaving the band for good the following year.

It's very rare in Morrissey land to have two musical co-writers on a song, so its understandable why the OP would inquire about it. I think "Pashernate Love," "Let The Right One Slip In," and "You Know I Couldn't Last" are the only Whyte/Day co-writes in existence while "Mexico," "The Slum Mums," and "Noise Is The Best Revenge" are Boorer/Day compositions.

I've always read stories about Gary being a nice and approachable bloke so I'm quite surprised about his behavior here. However, it was during the 2006 Ringleader tour which was his second consecutive tour without Alain. Given the changes in both his personal and professional life at the time, I can't speculate as to the frame of mind he was in at the time prior to leaving the band for good the following year.

You're absolutely correct. That is exactly why I asked Gary about his contribution to that song. Because it was co-written with Alain and I hoped he might get into how that progressed. I was genuinely curious if he provided more than the bassline because it's such a unique track that I love. I'm sure he's a nice guy if all you do is say hi or ask for an autograph but dig any deeper and he's not interested in conversing. I haven't seen too many stories over the years about him being that kind of person anyway. I didn't really have anything other than those two questions to ask him, so I did. I'm not afraid of "celebrities". Sometimes it's fun to see what they'll do if you don't just fawn all over them.

Another interesting side note to that night was that as I pulled up to the bar I could see all of the band members walking up the sidewalk from the hotel toward the bar. They were dressed in their stage clothes (not the silly matching tshirts of today) and it was just them, no other personnel, so it literally looked like they were in the 'I have forgiven Jesus' video. Pretty cool looking. Only thing missing was Moz.

I'm not afraid of "celebrities". Sometimes it's fun to see what they'll do if you don't just fawn all over them.

Celebrity or not... like anyone, he might have just wanted some quiet time with his mates and didn't care for random questions from a stranger. I understand wanting to talk to him, but it's not as though he owes fans answers to their questions just because the fan decided that was the right time to ask them.

Last edited:
Celebrity or not... like anyone, he might have not been in a good mood at the moment and just wanted some quiet time with his mates and didn't care for random questions from a stranger? I understand wanting to talk to him, but it's not as though he owes fans answers to their questions just because the fan decided that was the right time to ask them.

I realize that. I just don't care. All he had to say was not right now mate. Not like I was ever gonna get the "right moment" again. Never thought he owed me anything but it was funny how angry he got over nothing.

In an interview it's a reasonable question but in the bar it seems a little much for a couple of reasons. If he says "I just wrote the bassline," that kind of puts him in a position where he's minimizing what he did. If it was more complicated than that, and it probably was, then it puts him in a position to say which lyric he might have suggested, or if he maybe had some chords sketched out. Since he got a writing credit it might have been because the song was collaborated on in a writing session and maybe Morrissey was acknowledging his input or stroking his ego a little or throwing him a bone in the way of royalties. But he's drinking in a bar after a show and I can see why he doesn't want to stop and answer questions for some random person. He signed the CD and was pleasant. That's enough. Maybe he wasn't in the mood for it and him being very thin at the time hints at other things that might have played on his mood.

pretty douche move. leave people alone.

You should have gone for a twofer, and asked Spencer about the 'your loss, jew boy' fax whilst you were there. Get kicked in by two of the band at the same time! :lbf:

You should have gone for a twofer, and asked Spencer about the 'your loss, jew boy' fax whilst you were there. Get kicked in by two of the band at the same time! :lbf:

Except that Spencer probably wasn't at that bar that night. Because why would he be? In 2006, almost nine years after he left the band?

In an interview it's a reasonable question but in the bar it seems a little much for a couple of reasons. If he says "I just wrote the bassline," that kind of puts him in a position where he's minimizing what he did. If it was more complicated than that, and it probably was, then it puts him in a position to say which lyric he might have suggested, or if he maybe had some chords sketched out. Since he got a writing credit it might have been because the song was collaborated on in a writing session and maybe Morrissey was acknowledging his input or stroking his ego a little or throwing him a bone in the way of royalties. But he's drinking in a bar after a show and I can see why he doesn't want to stop and answer questions for some random person. He signed the CD and was pleasant. That's enough. Maybe he wasn't in the mood for it and him being very thin at the time hints at other things that might have played on his mood.

I don't see how it minimizes anything at all. He's in a select group of people on planet earth to have a credit with Morrissey on some of his songs. That alone is awesome. But I did get the sense that he thought that I was being condescending and suggesting that he couldn't have done more than just the bass line because he's just a bassist which wasn't the case at all. I could see it in his eyes. Lots of bassists I've known in bands are similar in this regard. They don't get a lot of respect from the average listener so they have a bit of a chip on their shoulder. And I take umbrage at the "random person" label. The amount of people that give two rats butts about Gary Day or "Pasherate love" in 2006 was minimal at best. I am a Moz super fan as most of us are. He should be well chuffed to appreciated for his talents and not be a tool about it. But that's not who he is or at least was that night. Too bad for him because I'm a pretty cool guy when people are nice to me but otherwise...and yeah that guy was definitely on drugs of some sort to be that thin and strung out looking.

Don't think I wouldn't have. They aren't kicking nobody in. Not without losing something in the process anyway.

When I spoke to Gary about two or three years ago after a DJ set, he was a nice enough bloke, very approachable. He did seem rather nonchalant about his years as Morrissey's bassist however, which I found sad, but that's up to him. I asked him what M number he got most enjoyment as a musician to play live, seeing as I find the aspect of being a touring musician quite interesting, and he didn't really have one. He said the numbers all melted into one after years of playing them, which I understand when you're simply paid to play. He did reveal that much preferred playing the double bass back in the early days, and did laugh when he remembered the "homeless chihuahua" song, so that's something.

That's cool to hear. Glad you had a good experience with him. Thanks for sharing it. That's some interesting info.

Also, Morrissey NEVER collaborates with anyone on lyrics.

Back
Top Bottom