Gaza Aid Flotilla Attacked

This is outrageous. Simply no justification for this attack by Israel on this aid convoy.

There's some youtube footage on the Guardian website:
[youtube]MB-Mk4bFz-U&feature=player_embedded[/youtube]

As well as Turkish citizens on board a number of european politicians and activists were involved - including Sarah Colborne from the Palestine Solidarity Campaign and Kevin Ovenden from the Viva Palestine charity, the Irish Foreign ministry is trying to find out what happened to 8 Irish nationals on board.

This is from the Guardian site quoting the LA Times
The Los Angeles Times is reporting that there were around 10,000 demonstrators marching in Turkey, some of whom tried to storm Israel's consulate building in Istanbul.
Live blog: quote

Their article has a good round up of reaction from around the globe, here's a snippet:

In Jordan, hundreds demonstrated in the capital, Amman, to protest the Israeli action and demand that their government breaks diplomatic relations with the Jewish state.

The Israeli ambassadors in Sweden, Spain, Denmark and Greece were summoned for meetings, and the French foreign minister called for an investigation. Activists from all of those European countries were on board the flotilla.

Besides swift, angry reaction from the Palestinians, strong condemnation came from the United Nations and the European Union.

Greece suspended a military exercise with Israel, and the Arab League called an emergency meeting.

The United Nations expressed "shock" and condemned the killings.

"We are in contact with the Israeli authorities to express our deep concern and to seek a full explanation," said a statement from the highest-ranking U.N. official in the region, Robert Serry.​

It will be interesting to see what the US government say about this when they wake up over the next few hours...

Dave

It's shocking, really awful! There have been a demonstration here tonight but I missed it because I was working :(

I have to admit, I hate Israel a little now, can't help it, things like this make it very hard to defend them, you know? :o
really, the blockade must end :straightface:
& death to Netanyahu :mad:

So, a flotilla of ships with hundreds of people on board who you haven't screened and who you didn't invite is headed toward your country without your permission, and you try to stop them? It's a shame that some people died, but what would most governments have done?

that is a highly inaccurate summary of the facts Black Cloud :straightface:
and I think you know that, therefore I am moving on from this thread now, rather than waste anymore time arguing on Solo :crazy:
good day to you though :thumb:

that is a highly inaccurate summary of the facts Black Cloud :straightface:
and I think you know that, therefore I am moving on from this thread now, rather than waste anymore time arguing on Solo :crazy:
good day to you though :thumb:

According to the Los Angeles times, there were arms on the aid boats and the soldiers were attacked as they were boarding the ships. Again, what government would have allowed such a flotilla to land? I'm not saying the Palestinians don't need aid, but was that what the flotilla was doing? Or were they trying to provoke in incident? Anybody with half a brain could have predicted what Israel was going to do.

According to the Los Angeles times, there were arms on the aid boats and the soldiers were attacked as they were boarding the ships. Again, what government would have allowed such a flotilla to land? I'm not saying the Palestinians don't need aid, but was that what the flotilla was doing? Or were they trying to provoke in incident? Anybody with half a brain could have predicted what Israel was going to do.

"Boarding the ship" is an interesting way to put it :straightface:

I think Israel had every right to do what they did. They have to protect themselves and the ships didn't go through proper screening.

Sue me.

"Boarding the ship" is an interesting way to put it :straightface:

:thumb: Another way to put it is "going out on international (international, not Israelian) water and more or less kidnap foreigners to Israel, putting them in custody and threatening them with prosecution". Prosecution that can never take place since Israel entered international water and arrested them which is against international law. And then they have seriously connected the organisation "Ship to Gaza" with hamas etc., I mean what the hell? Scary that people actually believe in that! Two people which I really like and admire alot are missing, and I just pray nothing has happend to them. They are the most amazing people one could imagine, very peaceful!

This is really tragic.However Israeli soldiers have warned them and told them to go to another port and all their supplies would be given to the Palestinian people-and this trip was about humanitarian aid-they should do everything to deliever it because those people needed this help and this is the reason they went there in the first place,they shouldnt forget about that, so why didnt they listen and turn back?But i feel so sorry for those killed people.It shouldnt have happend.

For those who don't let the facts confuse them:

They say that one picture worth 1000 words.
I guess that one video worth 1000 pictures:

http://www.youtube.com/v/gYjkLUcbJWo

One more peace activist like that, and we're lost...

until an independent enquiry (and by that I don't mean an Israeli one) is held it's difficult to know the timeline of events. I think seeing Israeli commandoes
descending from the sky would be threatening.
Also, who did the killing? That seems obvious.Was this in proportion to the "threat"? Doubtful.

until an independent enquiry (and by that I don't mean an Israeli one) is held it's difficult to know the timeline of events. I think seeing Israeli commandoes
descending from the sky would be threatening.
Also, who did the killing? That seems obvious.Was this in proportion to the "threat"? Doubtful.

C'mon, do me a favour... as JoanOfArc wrote, Israel gave all the possible warnings BEFORE the "cruise" went on, and those "peace activists" didn't want to listen. They did it for provocation only. /there are ways to deliver supply to Gaza - Sailing through israeli water area is not one of them. As those ships reached the israeli border, those soldiers were descending with paintball guns(!), not machine guns. No one thought those "peace activists" are terrorists . The order to shoot in "real" weapon was after the soldiers almost died in what you saw in the vid I posted, as self defence. What did you want? that thouse soldiers would let those terrorists kill them and do nothing?
Anyway, enough with the hypocracy - any country would do the same and hit even harder terrorists who cross the border in purpose and after proper warnings.

But again, even after this vid, you don't let the facts confuse you.

If you wanna find the truth, dig for it. Don't get it from "objective" media sources, find it by yourself.

Last edited:
I'm only going to say this once because apparently there are some genuine idiots on this website.

The boat was in international waters.

That is an indisputable fact & any argument anyone might make that says Israel were right is proved wrong by it.

Remember those UK military personnel that got kidnapped near Iran a few years ago?

Well both Britain & the US threatened Iran because the kidnap took place in international waters.

Anyone who says Israel should not be punished with sanctions or worse after this is absolutely blind. Israel is an much a rogue nation as Iraq & unlike Iraq, we know for a fact they have chemical weapons.

If it were up to me, I'd get all our diplomats out & send in the troops. Israel has gotten away with too much for too long.

C'mon, do me a favour... as JoanOfArc wrote, Israel gave all the possible warnings BEFORE the "cruise" went on, and those "peace activists" didn't want to listen. They did it for provocation only. /there are ways to deliver supply to Gaza - Sailing through israeli water area is not one of them. As those ships reached the israeli border, those soldiers were descending with paintball guns(!), not machine guns. No one thought those "peace activists" are terrorists . The order to shoot in "real" weapon was after the soldiers almost died in what you saw in the vid I posted, as self defence. What did you want? that thouse soldiers would let those terrorists kill them and do nothing?
Anyway, enough with the hypocracy - any country would do the same and hit even harder terrorists who cross the border in purpose and after proper warnings.

But again, even after this vid, you don't let the facts confuse you.

If you wanna find the truth, dig for it. Don't get it from "objective" media sources, find it by yourself.

I'll reserve judgement after an INDEPENDENT enquiry is done.
As for "self defence" ,this is possible but was the murder of at least 10 people a proportionate response? No.

Once again Israel flouts international law . The recent murder in Dubai is just another example.

The Israeli invasion of the ships in INTERNATIONAL waters was an act of piracy.

But,it seems that Israel does what it likes and disregards the law.

I'm only going to say this once because apparently there are some genuine idiots on this website.

The boat was in international waters.

That is an indisputable fact & any argument anyone might make that says Israel were right is proved wrong by it.

Remember those UK military personnel that got kidnapped near Iran a few years ago?

Well both Britain & the US threatened Iran because the kidnap took place in international waters.

Anyone who says Israel should not be punished with sanctions or worse after this is absolutely blind. Israel is an much a rogue nation as Iraq & unlike Iraq, we know for a fact they have chemical weapons.

If it were up to me, I'd get all our diplomats out & send in the troops. Israel has gotten away with too much for too long.

Yeah,great idea ,send the troops in.
Just what the world needs,another war in the middle east,and Israel with nuclear weapons.

Im with Israel,international waters or not.

Last edited:
Yeah,great idea ,send the troops in.
Just what the world needs,another war in the middle east,and Israel with nuclear weapons.

Im with Israel,international waters or not.

Israel haven't got missiles that could reach us.

And as I've mentioned, you can't be with Israel. It's simply not human to support that rogue state anymore.

Back
Top Bottom