George Michael admits joking about Smiths reformation

He was joking.

Smiths fans: That joke isn't funny anymore - 3 News / WENN

Pop star George Michael sent fans of The Smiths into a spin by insisting a long-awaited reunion is on its way, but he has now confessed he was joking.

The former Wham! star was asked in an interview published over the weekend to reveal a secret and he replied, "The Smiths are reforming."

The comment, published by British newspaper The Guardian, sent fans of the band into meltdown because reunion rumours have been building for years despite repeated denials by the group's founders Morrissey and Johnny Marr.

However, the 'Careless Whisper' hitmaker has now quashed the speculation by admitting his remark was made in jest.

A representative for the star tells WENN, "It was just a bit of fun, so not true."

Related item:

Last edited by a moderator:
Ha,ha fooled you,what an A***wipe. It will happen I'm sure, But will come from his Lord mudslide himself ,& will not include Joyce or Rourke..because of the obvious defamation of mozzers good name in court..And to what ends... Money, well one million at the time,bet he was well pleased with himself...he will be well gutted to loose out on multi'- mllions WHEN Moz & Marr write together again. Til then we an but dream of that happy day. Long live Mozzer.

I can't believe he had to say he was joking!!!

This! How anyone could have thought that he wasn't joking is beyond me. I didn't waste a single thought about his remark, and I find it really shocking what a debate it has caused here.

Apparently Morrissey and Marr are furious that George spilled the beans early, as they were planning a big press conference announcement at the end of the week. The whole deal may be off now. Oh, George - you and your big mouth.

Apparently Morrissey and Marr are furious that George spilled the beans early, as they were planning a big press conference announcement at the end of the week. The whole deal may be off now. Oh, George - you and your big mouth.

No, the tour is very much still on. I saw them both in Snappy Snaps ordering tour cushions and mouse mats from pictures on their mobiles. Then George Michael came in.

We were lucky to get out alive.

And what's next in media-world? Someone claims that Elvis is not dead?

Oh the rhythm of life...

Are you serious?

Are you serious?

Obviously George Michael was joking. The Smiths will not reform, or at least it is exceptionally unlikely that they will. Anyone can start a rumour nowadays and people are far too quick to believe everything they hear.
As our good friend once told us: "Rush to danger wind up nowhere".

birth name: Georgios Kyriacos Panagiòtou

Rarely do I agree with Skinny. Here I do think it's possible someone told Georgie Porgie to zip it. I say this because the denial was not normal. It was adamant, strangely worded, felt forced, was delivered to numerous news outlets the world over in lightning speed. It's no secret that Georgie doesn't actually spend that much time in London, preferring various Greek Islands. But he felt compelled to get off the sand to issue this denial. Seems fishy.

I can't believe he had to say he was joking!!!

I thought the same thing... I was already groaning before I finished the first sentence. He didn't "insist" anything, and it also seems like they invented the alleged fan reaction too, considering I saw no one (here or elsewhere) bat an eye at the obvious joke.

It just seems like a cheap, lazy fluff piece that will get clicks for the mere mention of The Smiths (and I guess George Michael, too).

Then again, I might've missed anyone here taking it seriously because I stopped paying attention to the thread the article was posted in as soon as I was done reading his response, which I assumed everyone else did as well.

Last edited:
Rarely do I agree with Skinny. Here I do think it's possible someone told Georgie Porgie to zip it. I say this because the denial was not normal. It was adamant, strangely worded, felt forced, was delivered to numerous news outlets the world over in lightning speed.

What is a "normal" denial? What is an "un-forced" denial? How is it "strangely worded" - and what would constitute a normally-worded denial? It's not at all unusual for news outlets all over the world to publish the words of celebrities to fill space (look at the space given to reports of Morrissey's own "rants), nothing "fishy" about it at all.

But while we're on the subject of conspiracy theories, do you think Princess Diana *was* murdered...?

it also seems like they invented the alleged fan reaction too, considering I saw no one (here or elsewhere) bat an eye at the obvious joke.

You're not serious...? Plenty of "fans" here and elsewhere with their knickers in a twist.

It's espcially odd to read that those who are the most critical of Morrissey are the ones who are never giving up hope of a Smiths reunion. For people with so much insight, this seems incredibly deluded. Reforming The Smiths (except that it wouldn't be The Smiths because there'd be no Rourke or Joyce) would be the most artistically bankrupt and revoltingly opportunistic, financially-motivated move of his entire career - and given that those are the kind of accusations levelled at him on here quite regularly for far lesser crimes, it seems a tad hypocritical for some to accuse him of being creatively exhausted, unprincipled and obsessed with money while at the same time holding out hope for a Smiths reunion, doesn't it?

I can just imagine what the "reviews" on here of any such reunion gig would be like: "It was shit, it was a wasted opportunity, they looked old and tired, there was no affection between Morrissey and Marr, it didn't sound (or feel) like the mid-80's...and it's ALL Morrissey's fault".

Do the smiths need Morrissey? I don't think so anymore. I would cut my arm off to see johnny , Andy , mike and Craig reform , play some exhibition centre concerts and show morrisseys band , cough cough , how to play smiths songs.

Wpinoyb......is a bland record , my god it is poor. There are two songs which are any good , but that's the form these days and if anyone thinks that harvest have dropped him because of a few comments are seriously deluded....the album is shocking.

I said it a few months ago , enjoy these albums because they will be the last. It will be another 5 years , if he's lucky , to get another record deal. Morrissey will have to go down the DIY route.

Do the smiths need Morrissey? I don't think so anymore. I would cut my arm off to see johnny , Andy , mike and Craig reform , play some exhibition centre concerts and show morrisseys band , cough cough , how to play smiths songs.

Wpinoyb......is a bland record , my god it is poor. There are two songs which are any good , but that's the form these days and if anyone thinks that harvest have dropped him because of a few comments are seriously deluded....the album is shocking.

I said it a few months ago , enjoy these albums because they will be the last. It will be another 5 years , if he's lucky , to get another record deal. Morrissey will have to go down the DIY route.

Do we need air to breathe? Say what you like about Morrissey's latest work, but without him there wouldn't be a Smiths - and that holds true to this day. The lineup you mentioned is quite sad. Johnny would be the only one worth showing up for, and you can see him on tour singing old Smiths songs now.

Go on - starting cutting that arm off...

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom