George Michael "True Faith" Cover

A great pop song covered by a great pop singer. How the hell did it turn out so shite?
Cover songs, do we need em..?

Last edited by a moderator:
A great pop song covered by a great pop singer. How the hell did it turn out so shite?
Cover songs, do we need em..?

You are right about George murdering True Faith - truly awful.

But in terms of do we need them; I'd say absolutely. Morrissey introduced me to 'That's Entertainment' and Kirsty MacColl introduced me to 'New England'. I saw Paul Weller in Barcelona a couple of years ago and he did 'That's Entertainment' and I thought he was singing it wrong because Morrissey did it better :D

I thought that the Beautiful South did a cracking job re-inventing some songs that I wouldn't otherwise bother listening to on their under rated Headnoggers... album

Dave

Last edited by a moderator:
When the news broke that George Michael had covered New Order's "True Faith", in aid of Comic Relief, we were kinda wondering what the reactions would be of the Side-Line public, notorious for being rather outspoken (yes, that's a compliment). The song has now reached the net and the comments are quite harsh, negative or even cynic to say the least, especially because of the (over)used autotune.

We picked some comments from the many left on the Side-Line Facebook wall:
  • Kirill Galetski: Overproduced, to say the least. The vocal effect turns it into instant crap. I'm underwhelmed.
  • Per Annoyed: turn it off! turn it off! for the love of all that is good, please turn it off!
    Clark Bongiovanni Apathetic...
  • Canaan Anderson: This is how you ruin a song..
  • Enki Carbone: Thanks, I needed a reason to completely despise the record industry.
  • Kris Tjellesen-Little: Wrong. At least it keeps him from crashing his car into photo shops in Hampstead.
  • James Nigh: this is a trick question, right?
Just keep in mind that perhaps you just weren't meant to be the public for this version. And for all it's worth, all money goes to charity. In any case, if you don't dig this version, there's always New Order's original and they have also pledged to donate their royalties from the track's re-release to the charity.

from: http://www.side-line.com/news_comments.php?id=45938_0_2_4_C

When the news broke that George Michael had covered New Order's "True Faith", in aid of Comic Relief, we were kinda wondering what the reactions would be of the Side-Line public, notorious for being rather outspoken (yes, that's a compliment). The song has now reached the net and the comments are quite harsh, negative or even cynic to say the least, especially because of the (over)used autotune.

We picked some comments from the many left on the Side-Line Facebook wall:
  • Kirill Galetski: Overproduced, to say the least. The vocal effect turns it into instant crap. I'm underwhelmed.
  • Per Annoyed: turn it off! turn it off! for the love of all that is good, please turn it off!
    Clark Bongiovanni Apathetic...
  • Canaan Anderson: This is how you ruin a song..
  • Enki Carbone: Thanks, I needed a reason to completely despise the record industry.
  • Kris Tjellesen-Little: Wrong. At least it keeps him from crashing his car into photo shops in Hampstead.
  • James Nigh: this is a trick question, right?
Just keep in mind that perhaps you just weren't meant to be the public for this version. And for all it's worth, all money goes to charity. In any case, if you don't dig this version, there's always New Order's original and they have also pledged to donate their royalties from the track's re-release to the charity.

from: http://www.side-line.com/news_comments.php?id=45938_0_2_4_C

Sorry, but whar sort of bullshit is that? Do you expect people to go "Oh, that was probably intended for someone else than me, so it'd be really impolite to have an opinion about it"?

Back
Top Bottom