Gifts to Morrissey

ALLIE WALLS

I was fortunate enough to give Morrissey an LP at his Hannover show in 2015. It was by Esther and Abi Ofarim who had a hit in the 70 s with Cinderella Rockerfella which i d hoped he would find amusing. He took it from me (see pics). I remember that the door step matt with the words there is a light that never goes out from the Suedehead video had also been a present from a fan. What present have you managed to give him ?. Just to Pre empt obvious replies - Aztec, inn it innit, didnnnnnit, Benny, Crankfraud and some kind of cheese and Skinney, racist bigot.

Attachments

• 141105_morrisseyhannover_www.soke2_.de047.jpg
    141105_morrisseyhannover_www.soke2_.de047.jpg
    36.1 KB · Views: 0
  • 141105_morrisseyhannover_www.soke2_.de039.jpg
    141105_morrisseyhannover_www.soke2_.de039.jpg
    49.6 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
“I gave him a ziploc bag of pubic hair in 2007. It wasn’t all mine...just bits I managed to scrape together over the years. He was very appreciative.”

- CrystalGeezer

Happy New Year!:partypooper:

One of the more memorable and most recent gift story I have was in San Diego last month. My wife and I gifted Moz a rosary with little skull beads before the show...which he wore on stage that night and through much of the South American tour!
We were too far away to get a good shot ourselves but other fans closer up managed to.

Last edited:
No need to gift Moz.

2019 should be about charity helping to feed the poor.

send your food packages to (canned goods and powder milk preferred) to:

:handpointright::guardsman::handpointleft: care of New Voodoo Records and Tapes, Manchester UK ( we dont know if DramaJ kids have enough to eat so send as many food packets as possible)

Alain Twat care of Covina Records California. French food preferred, snails that type of food. Canned mushrooms mixed with black olives.

Happy New Year.:rock:

Happy New Year!:partypooper:

One of the more memorable and most recent gift story I have was in San Diego last month. My wife and I gifted Moz a rosary with little skull beads before the show...which he wore on stage that night and through much of the South American tour!
We were too far away to get a good shot ourselves but other fans closer up managed to.

wow! amazing! how were you able to give it to him?

wow! amazing! how were you able to give it to him?
We first tried to give our gift to Morrissey directly as he entered the venue, but he ignored the group of us fans waiting and just walked right in without stopping. So I ended up giving it to a roadie about three hours before the show who said he’d get it to Moz for me. We never imagined Moz would open it -and then decide to wear it- so fast! Very unexpected but I’m glad he must’ve liked it. :)

Last edited:
We first tried to give our gift to Morrissey directly as he entered the venue, but he ignored the group of us fans waiting and just walked right in without stopping. So I ended up giving it to a roadie about three hours before the show who said he’d get it to Moz for me. We never imagined Moz would open it -and then decide to wear it- so fast! Very unexpected but I’m glad he must’ve liked it. :)
it seems like his kind of thing! that must have been a great moment when you saw him wearing it. I would've been so proud!

here's my story of ALMOST giving a gift to him. don't know if ive told it here before, I told HIM about it in a letter because I thought it was funny.
I was going to see him in seattle of 1995 or something, and I read here, i think--that is, before I was a member--that you could give gifts for morrissey to the security at his concerts (just to confirm, I made my boss at my old job--on threat of being moody and surly the entire day if he didn't comply-- call the venue in seattle and ask how would one do this, and they informed him that one could take whatever gift to the artists entrance before the show). so, without really thinking about what to give him, the thought of a fornasetti candle immediately popped into my head. what else would i give him?! so I went online and found one for $220--more than I ever thought i'd spend on a single candle--that came in a nice ceramic container with a sun and moon pattern, typical fornasetti. well, when it arrived, to my horror there was a sticker on the box which said "harmful to the aquatic environment" with a picture of a dead fish. well, obviously I couldn't give it to him (and that made me wonder if perhaps I had committed a serious faux pas, if all scented candles killed fish and everyone knew it but me). my sister said just to peel the sticker off but obviously i couldn't do that, so i went to the concert empty handed with nothing to give but my admiration and felt a bit little drummer boyish about it, i can tell you. i lied in my letter and told him i sent the candle back but the truth is, i couldn't be bothered. since i have been known to burn a scented candle on occasion and since i do enjoy tasteful ceramics i kept it myself and burn it occasionally while all around me fishes die (how does that even work?). ill be honest, the smell is a little noxious.

Last edited:
this is it:

ill be honest again: it's not my favourite fornasetti design. since i had ended up keeping it myself anyway, I kind of wish I had gotten a different one. any one of these ones, for instance:

this is it:

ill be honest again: it's not my favourite fornasetti design. since i had ended up keeping it myself anyway, I kind of wish I had gotten a different one. any one of these ones, for instance:

They are lovely - especially the ones with the faces/hands. But what I can't get over is how you can spend $220 on a CANDLE! How is that even possible? I'm not exactly sure how much that is in £s but it sounds like a LOT. Don't you think he's rich enough to afford his own $220 candles, should he want to harm aquatic life?

They are lovely - especially the ones with the faces/hands. But what I can't get over is how you can spend $220 on a CANDLE! How is that even possible? I'm not exactly sure how much that is in £s but it sounds like a LOT. Don't you think he's rich enough to afford his own $220 candles, should he want to harm aquatic life?
im not in debt for nothing, pep! :lbf:

of course he's rich enough, I didn't think I was doing him a favour by buying him one of these. but I didn't very well know what else to give him. I couldn't give him anything really great, like a rare edition Oscar wilde book like whats-her-face, that witchy looking woman, but I could give him the best candle I knew of. what was I supposed to give him, a candle from the dollar store? better to give him nothing, in that case. plus, I wanted him to think I was a classy dame.

im not in debt for nothing, pep! :lbf:

of course he's rich enough, I didn't think I was doing him a favour by buying him one of these. but I didn't very well know what else to give him. I couldn't give him anything really great, like a rare edition Oscar wilde book like whats-her-face, that witchy looking woman, but I could give him the best candle I knew of. what was I supposed to give him, a candle from the dollar store? better to give him nothing, in that case. plus, I wanted him to think I was a classy dame.
'That witchy looking woman' :lbf: I assume you mean Julia? I just find it hard to understand why people want to give gifts they can't afford to someone who is so much richer than they are. I've never experienced that kind of fan worship. I mean, the only other person I can think of that I really, really worship is Alan Bennett, but I wouldn't buy him a candle. Or even a new bicycle pump (more of an Alan Bennett sort of gift). I did write him a letter, though, and he wrote a postcard back. Which seems to me a more balanced kind of relationship. Am I missing something?

'That witchy looking woman' :lbf: I assume you mean Julia? I just find it hard to understand why people want to give gifts they can't afford to someone who is so much richer than they are. I've never experienced that kind of fan worship. I mean, the only other person I can think of that I really, really worship is Alan Bennett, but I wouldn't buy him a candle. Or even a new bicycle pump (more of an Alan Bennett sort of gift). I did write him a letter, though, and he wrote a postcard back. Which seems to me a more balanced kind of relationship. Am I missing something?
well in this case balanced is not what im after; not when it comes to artists, real artists (not celebrities). poetry, in this case, is what im after. in the case of artists whom I love im happy to subordinate myself and play the role of fan. I think in a way it's a very privileged role to play, and there's something poetic to me about it, about giving something to someone who entirely doesn't need it, and knowing still that it isnt enough. of course it would've been more poetic if I had actually, like, scraped up the money for it and sacrificed and went without in order to be able to buy it, rather than, you know, charging it to a credit card with no intention of ever paying it back. :D

what do you like about alan bennet so much? I'm not familiar with the guy other than the fact that that's him in your picture.

The gifts aren't necessarily expensive. Often they are handmade like the necklace one girl made a few years back (she talked about it on instagram). They do it because they know Moz will wear it or acknowledge it some other way. It's the same as when he replys to a fan letter. Almost every necklace or pin he wears is from a fan. When we make fun of him how ridiculous he looks we miss the point. It's not about looking good it's about acknowledgement of his fans. He doesn't get enough credit about how involved he is in his fanbase. Years ago when he wrote this eulogy for his fan Mel, you could tell that he had read all of her letters and remembered all of her gifts. He may not reply to fan letters anymore but he reads them and knows them inside out.

well in this case balanced is not what im after; not when it comes to artists, real artists (not celebrities). poetry, in this case, is what im after. in the case of artists whom I love im happy to subordinate myself and play the role of fan. I think in a way it's a very privileged role to play, and there's something poetic to me about it, about giving something to someone who entirely doesn't need it, and knowing still that it isnt enough. of course it would've been more poetic if I had actually, like, scraped up the money for it and sacrificed and went without in order to be able to buy it, rather than, you know, charging it to a credit card with no intention of ever paying it back. :D

what do you like about alan bennet so much? I'm not familiar with the guy other than the fact that that's him in your picture.
Well, that explains it very well, even though I can't personally relate to it. Hard to say why I like Alan Bennett so much. I think he was one of the first writers that really connected with me, though, I think because of his ordinariness. He is northern (like me) and his observations on life and the human condition are told in this understated, parochial way that's also full of wit and cleverness. I liked that you could be brilliant and clever and funny, by being so ordinary. His books (in particular those about his life, like Untold Stories) are a treat, but he has also written many plays and screenplays: among them 'The Madness of King George', and 'The History Boys' (starring a very young Dominic Cooper and James Corden) - both are a triumph. He also wrote the screenplay for the more recent 'The Lady in the Van' starring Maggie Smith, based on the true story of an eccentric homeless woman who lived in a van on his driveway for 15 years. The house that is featured in the film is AB's actual house (or it was, I think he's now moved), and was the same one where he was Morrissey's neighbour in the 90s. Highly recommended - and the real AB puts in a fleeting appearance at the end.

Oh, and edited to say, he's one of the 'talking heads' in The Importance of Being Morrissey.

Last edited:
I was fortunate enough to give Morrissey an LP at his Hannover show in 2015. It was by Esther and Abi Ofarim who had a hit in the 70 s with Cinderella Rockerfella which i d hoped he would find amusing. He took it from me (see pics). I remember that the door step matt with the words there is a light that never goes out from the Suedehead video had also been a present from a fan. What present have you managed to give him ?. Just to Pre empt obvious replies - Aztec, inn it innit, didnnnnnit, Benny, Crankfraud and some kind of cheese and Skinney, racist bigot.
i remember that concert very well, and i remember you handing over the album. were you the guy who was given the mic to say a few words to morrissey?

The gifts aren't necessarily expensive. Often they are handmade like the necklace one girl made a few years back (she talked about it on instagram). They do it because they know Moz will wear it or acknowledge it some other way. It's the same as when he replys to a fan letter. Almost every necklace or pin he wears is from a fan. When we make fun of him how ridiculous he looks we miss the point. It's not about looking good it's about acknowledgement of his fans. He doesn't get enough credit about how involved he is in his fanbase. Years ago when he wrote this eulogy for his fan Mel, you could tell that he had read all of her letters and remembered all of her gifts. He may not reply to fan letters anymore but he reads them and knows them inside out.
I can’t speak for others, but as I mentioned in my reply to Rifke, I never anticipated Moz wearing the gift we gave him. It’s a very kind thing of him to do, and I’m grateful, but we didn’t gift him that with that in mind at all. Plus, I’ve given him records and books in years past that I have no idea if he listened to or read and never will know. There’s certainly no need to gift him anything, and I’ve already given him lots of money by way of music and book sales, and from merch and concert ticket purchases.
In my case, it’s more about trying to show some extra gratitude and appreciation to him, plus it’s fun!
But, anonymous poster, you do make a good point that he doesn’t get enough credit for being involved in his fanbase. I think it is sweet and endearing that he encourages and acknowledges fan interaction, in a variety of ways, as much as he does.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom