Gilbert O' Sullivan's sense of kinship with Morrissey

Gilbert O' Sullivan gave an interview to The Daily Yomiuri news source in the run-up to several performance dates in Japan in October. He spoke about his song, Nothing Rhymed, amongst other things, and about his feelings on why Morrissey might have chosen to cover it:

..."['Nothing Rhymed'] was an important song for many reasons. Apart from being the first hit, it was the first record with [former manager] Gordon [Mills]. Everything seemed to gel then, that first recording session when we did that, in 1970.

"In Japan, they liked it because they wanted me to go there. The world was interested in me at that point because of how I looked, so for a lot of people it's their favorite track of mine, which I don't mind at all," he said, adding that a certain legendary guitarist might have been in the studio for the recording.

"There's still a feeling--it's still debatable--I think Jimmy Page was the guitar player, because he used to do sessions--even when Led Zeppelin started--because the guitar player didn't read [music]. I remember that. He was sitting there with his acoustic, so we think that was him," he said.

"Nothing Rhymed" has been covered by artists such as Tom Jones and Dusty Springfield, but it was a live version by Morrissey that most fascinated O'Sullivan, who sees some parallels between himself and the former Smiths frontman."

"I've heard that he did it on stage [but] he's not recorded it. [My agent in Ireland] said Morrissey's a big fan and the earlier stuff of mine was a big influence on him. Because, I guess, in a way I was like that, I was a very kind of indie person, you know. I didn't mix with people, I'm not social, I'm very much into my own little world, very much love music. I don't really have close friends and that, I looked a bit weird, so I think people kind of related to that. I think Morrissey, arguably, in the very beginning, picked up on that...I'd loved to have heard it," he said.

Despite Morrissey's cover, don't expect to hear a version of "This Charming Man" on O'Sullivan's next album...

Last edited by a moderator:
Gilbert is kin to Morrissey in so many ways. There was a wonderful documentary recently and O'Sullivan's truculence, omnipresent sense of persecution, self-exile, detonated alliances and friendships, strange charisma, dark undercurrents, obsessive, best works about loneliness, cruelty, kindness and love, anglo-irish, etc was just a bit reminiscent...

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom