Give users the freedom to delete their own threads.

Would you like the option to delete your own threads?

• Total voters
D

DAVIE

For a free forum give us the chance to delete threads we created.

Say threads with no replies (my halal meat debate for example), the member who created that thread could decide, "you know what? nobody is discussing this. Let's get rid and forget"

But there's no option to do so. Just a suggestion.

Re:

Registered users are already given a tool to edit / delete their posts.

Site administrator thinks that forum reflects real life situations, you cannot take back what you said.

It is not a good idea to give another option which will cause some problems.

*edit*
I'm patiently waiting for software upgrade which will bring back thread ignore function.

Last edited:
I agree with this. A couple of months ago I created a lackluster thread entitled, "What's Your Dream Job?" One minute after I created this thread I wanted to delete it, but could not. Nine or ten people responded, and they all had great answers, but the thread just wasn't that scintillating. I think if one person responds to the thread then it should probably stay. However, if no one does, then the creator of it should be able to delete it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Re:

Registered users are already given a tool to edit / delete their posts.

Site administrator thinks that forum reflects real life situations, you cannot take back what you said.

It is not a good idea to give another option which will cause some problems.

*edit*
I'm patiently waiting for software upgrade which will bring back thread ignore function.

But you can take back what you said though! As you've just said, you simply delete or edit a post. I thought the forum was "free" so isn't it a freedom to delete a thread?

I've also got 4 "yes" and 0 "no" in the poll, so more people would want this.

“We wanna be free! We wanna be free to do what we wanna do. We wanna be free to ride. We wanna be free to ride our machines without being hassled by The Man! ... And we wanna get loaded! And we wanna have a good time. And that's what we are gonna do. We are gonna have a good time... We are gonna have a party.” :lbf:

Sorry, the sugar rush from the donut I ate may has caused some kind of chemical imbalance. :straightface:

Last edited:
^^^^^^ Lol. I'm not sure what movie that's from but it sounds funny.:)

The Wild Angels - 1966

Wild Angels.png

Something tells me these cats aren't Martina McBride's style of "Wild Angels."

Sorry Davie, I took this off topic. I really do hope, that the powers that be, can add this delete thread function that you're asking for. I understand what Kewpie's saying, and it's a fair point, but I still hope they make a change.

Re:

You should be aware that this is a private forum.
Due to software admin control, this kind of request is highly unlikely to be implemented.

It's sad you want to euthanize unpopular threads. They have the right to exist, like anything else unpopular...

It's sad you want to euthanize unpopular threads. They have the right to exist, like anything else unpopular...

No, I'm not trying to euthanize unpopular threads. I'm talking about wanting to delete a thread that I, myself, created. I'm talking about deleting that thread, which I created, before anyone responds to it. I think once someone responds to the thread, then the thread must stay. Personally, the reason I wanted to delete a couple of the threads I started was because I was kind of embarrassed by them.

Also, I created what I consider to be a pretty unpopular thread, the "Rap Music" thread. 82% of the posts on that thread are from myself. To be honest, I think you missed the point on what we were trying to articulate. I miss the point sometimes too, everyone does.

It's a mute point now anyway. It sounds like technologically it would be a difficult thing to implement. That's understandable.

No, I'm not trying to euthanize unpopular threads. I'm talking about wanting to delete a thread that I, myself, created. I'm talking about deleting that thread, which I created, before anyone responds to it. I think once someone responds to the thread, then the thread must stay. Personally, the reason I wanted to delete a couple of the threads I started was because I was kind of embarrassed by them.

I'm very embarrassed by a lot of my early posts. Mind you, I was a depressed 15 year old! :D
Yeah, I agree with everything here you've said also. But if they can't do it, I'm not gonna whine about it.

I'm very embarrassed by a lot of my early posts. Mind you, I was a depressed 15 years old! :D
Yeah, I agree with everything here you've said also. But if they can't do it, I'm not gonna whine about it.

I'm really glad that you brought up this point though, Davie. I almost messaged one of the moderators about it five or six weeks ago. I wish I could say I was just embarrassed about posts from the past. I lean towards embarrassment in regards to my posts on a weekly, if not daily, basis. :)

I'm really glad that you brought up this point though, Davie. I almost messaged one of the moderators about it five or six weeks ago. I wish I could say I was just embarrassed about posts from the past. I lean towards embarrassment in regards to my posts on a weekly, if not daily, basis. :)

If I could get rid of all my early posts. I would without hesitation.

I did some searching and the feature does not exist in the standard vBulletin install, it's either allow user to delete threads (including posts from others in the thread) or don't. The default is not to allow delete as it is allowing it would leave things open for abuse and allow users to effectively delete posts by others.

It looks like there is a hack / plugin to give this option to delete when there are not replies, I'll take a look to see if it isn't too difficult to implement.

For a free forum give us the chance to delete threads we created.

Say threads with no replies (my halal meat debate for example), the member who created that thread could decide, "you know what? nobody is discussing this. Let's get rid and forget"

But there's no option to do so. Just a suggestion.

Back
Top Bottom