Glasgow Great - Voice Worries

luiseasy

Just back from the SECC. The concert was great with Morrissey very positive and energetic. If anyone is still considering whether or not to go.....then go....Please Please Please will justify your decision alone.

One worry - I noticed Morrissey's voice was 'cracking' a bit. I sincerely hope he hasn't got a sore throat or some other vocal problem.

Have fun when you go.

No Worries

I didn't hear anything wrong with his voice.
It wavered during one line, directly after a falsetto, but that was it.
His speaking voice was clear all night.

I seriously don't think you've anything to worry about.

I'm afraid I have to agree about Moz's voice being a bit dodgy too.He seemed to struggle holding some high notes and,from my place in the front row,judging by his grimaces he too knew he wasn't on top form vocally.He aslo seemed pretty unhappy with the sound(unsurprisingly as the SECC acoustics are atrocious).
For me this gig,rather echoed the SECC performance 2 years ago.After a great tour on top form playing smaller venues throughout the summer when his vocal range and energy levels were boundless,he then plays these souless sheds at the end of the year and seems tired.Dear God Please Help Me ,in particular,seemed to be a step too far for his voice last night.
Highlight for me was Ganglord which Moz seemed really to go for.
One last thing,can't remember which song it was...but at the intro he seemed to chastise Mikey.He called to Mikey and Mikey's face looked like he had been given a row by his dad!
Also,"william" and "girlfriend" sound leaden compared to The Smiths versions...i think live they sorely miss Marr's inspired guitar work.
I hope Moz has a long rest after Christmas and becomes rejuvenated in 2007/8.

WHAT A CONCERT !!!!!

the setlist was absoutley top notch, moz was on top form, band was incredible, the only thing i didnt like was the excessive pushing ( was a bit extreme at times). How soon is now was absolutely fantastic. higlight of the concert was Dear god please help me, it was my only gripe about the carling academy gig but glad to see its been fixed.

Morrissey you are indeed a god amongst men !

p.s for all the people worried about his voice, howmany of us were hoarse after the concert from singing along to him, its no surprise that after like 30 or sumthing tour dates in a year the man is not quite 100%

An absolutely superb gig.

Does anyone remember the setlist- a lot of old B-sides were played that I want to locate??

'Panic' as the opener was blinding, then he belted out the hits, ramped the tempo down a bit with a few slower numbers before picking up the pace with 'Irish Blood, English Heart' and 'How Soon Is Now?'.

Now, a minor complaint! :confused: We're all Morrissey/ Smiths fans, and we don't like to speak badly of him which I am not intending to do! But I was a wee bit disappointed not to hear the real blinding hits that would have sent the SECC into a state of frenzy.........'This Charming Man', 'What Difference Does It Make', 'There's a light......', 'Bigmouth Strikes Again'.

He gave us an hour-and-a-half; maybe I'm just asking for too much! ;)

The concert? Makes you glad to be alive.

I wish too, but I doubt we'll see the light of day on TCM tbh, oh & 1 & 1/2 hours, that would be my second wish, on my watch we got just over an hours performance. Still it was worth every shilling eh?
Do you think there's any chance of an x-mas treat in Manc?

love

Grim

Hello grim, we did indeed get 1 and a half hours matey, he came on smack bang on nine and went off at half ten on the dot.

p.s can i buy yer watch off ya :)

I honestly think that was my favourite Morrissey gig.

Superlative set list and a brilliant crowd

Last night was tremendous, as you would expect from Morrissey. He never fails to get the crowd going absolutely bonkers, and also leaving you want that little bit more when you are leaving the gig.

Me and my mate turned up at the SECC at 3 o'clock to join the queue, which consisted of around 20/30 people. This made sure we, well, I, reached the barrier - as in the end up my mate didn't due to some dodgy Rock Steady stewards.

So, the long wait paid off for me and I was indeed at the barrier, to the side of Jesse. Moz was leaning over to touch the crowds hands at times, and was VERY close to me but not quite. I was intending on stage diving at the encore, but it was faaaar to short, albeit totally terrific, he also didn't make his way over to my area to bow - which I was pretty gutted about.

After the gig I purchased 2 t-shirts. One from the mechandise store and a Smiths one from the lad who was in the tunnel leading to the train. £28 all in, can't really grudge that.

Overall though, I thought Morrissey was exceptional, apart from the sound difficulites during Life is a Pigsty, which Morrissey can't really do anything about. He also seemed very talkative throughout - with some excellent one-liners. "That song was called 'Everyday is Like Dundee" as well as numerous others.

Well played, and thank you, Morrissey

Just out of curiosity - how full was the SECC last night?

I'd say about 9,000 out of a capacity of 10,000.

Pretty damn full.............

.........nobody has mentioned Moz going in the upper-buff, taking off his shirt and baring his man-boobs to the crowd! He looked a wee bit overweight with his shirt on, IMHO, but when he went scuddy he was looking not too bad for a guy his age! :eek:

I thoroughly enjoyed the gig from start to finish. Glad he made this tour a more general one and spiced up the setlist- absolutely loved disappointed, guilty and especially national front disco, a great live track. Panic and first of the gang are probably the best 2 openers in his entire back caralogue (well, except The Queen Is Dead but I wouldn't want any other musicians touching that). I also bought a shirt each from the stall and the tunnel guys, I didn't get one when I was at the academy earlier in he year so I wanted 2. And another good bootleg from the gig posted on the main page! :D :D :D

Hello grim, we did indeed get 1 and a half hours matey, he came on smack bang on nine and went off at half ten on the dot.

p.s can i buy yer watch off ya

well let's just say that I started my 'stopwatch' when he came on until they went off, then restarted it when the came back on for the encore, the total time states 1.03.00 (63 mins), & no way did they take 27 mins betwixt the encore eh?

love

Grim
P.s. I haven't got a watch ;)

here's some pics off my watch

Image47.jpg

Image39.jpg

Image22.jpg

Just like he's giving the microphone a French kiss in the first pic, teehee :p (sorry, irrelevant - great stories though)

ooops I've just had a thought if the 1. stands for 100mins an not 1 hour (as I assumed) then that would equate to 1hr 23mins, which would then make Man Afraid right, I'll have a look again later to make sure & let you know.

love

Grim :confused:

My god, what horrible tits.

I wish he'd f*** off for 15 years and then get a call from Rick Rubin.

Obviously there's the work with Johnny Cash that suggests it'd be a good move, but 12 songs with Neil Diamond is amazing.

I can't imagine that there were more than 6 or 7000 people there yesterday. The curtains were drawn to make the athmosphere a little more intimate i guess, probably because the venue hadn't sold out.

Regardless of how long i played yesterday, he did 20 songs, which opposed to the usual 19 songs was a nice courtesy of him!

I had a good time at the concert. The current setlist is a smashing one! William, Disappotined, Everyday, National and Please Please... a dream come true!
However my trip from Norway made a wreck out of me, as the flight was delayed with more than an hour, and I had no idea where to go when arriving Glasgow. Landed at Prestwick 6.30, running in panic towards a train station I didn't know where was. The train trip itself didn't calm me down either, as I never found out where to buy tickets, and there never came a ticket seller on the train. Being the anxious boy that I am, I was scared to death that there would be a ticket check towards the end of the trip, and that I would be stuck with some guards explaining the situation when Morrissey was playing somewhere else in the town (I know, I know.. it's ridiculous. But I can't help panicing when going to a Morrissey concert.)

Eventually I managed to find SECC. As everybody's already stated, it certainly isn't the ideal venue for a Morrissey concert. But the concert turned out to be some of an emotional trip for me; the relief of actually getting there, and the fact that he played a list of my favourite songs, which he hasn't done previously this year.

Great concert, wonderful setlist, OK venue and lovable audience!
Hope to see you again soon, old Mozzer.

Back
Top Bottom