Great bass moments in Morrissey solo songs

M

Musician

Street's tweet made me think. He finally posted openly about what I always missed when Morrissey's band played "Suedehead": that little bass melody before the chorus kicks in.

Other great bass moments in Morrissey solo songs? My votes are...

1) Andy Rourke in "November"

2) Street in "Alsatian Cousin"

3) Jonny Bridgwood in the middle 8 of "The more you ignore me"

Any other?

im gonna go with girl least likely to. another moment from andy and he doesnt even have marr to write his parts like some suggested

I love the fretless bass on 'He Knows I'd Love to See Him', apparently by an uncredited session musician called Danny Thompson.

Also, it's a subtle moment, but I LOVE Gary Day's bass line in the final moments of 'Tomorrow', specifically after Morrissey's voice fades out - he does this lovely little riff under all those stacks of building guitar.

Gary has an interesting bassline throughout "Crashing Bores" - if you've never listened for it before, I recommend it.

Andy Rourke on 'I Know It's Over'

Andy Rourke on 'I Know It's Over'

Whoops I've just read the question properly: SOLO

Ok, I love Andy Rourke's feel on 'I Know It's Over' very emotive but I also like what Solomon did on 'All You Need is Me' sounded proper punk rock to me!

Great topic.

"Alma Matters" has to be top of the list for me.

We'll Let You Know.

Do Your Best and Don't Worry.

Life is a Pigsty

Great topic.

"Alma Matters" has to be top of the list for me.

We'll Let You Know.

Do Your Best and Don't Worry.

Life is a Pigsty

I could have written "pretty much everything by Jonny Bridgwood" but in another topic it was already discussed....

other songs that came my mind: the outro in "Dagenham Dave" (yes Dagenham Dave), "Hated for Loving", and the (bass) melody in the chorus of "Jack the Ripper"

Bedders did some sublime work on Kill Uncle. Our Frank, Mute Witness, Sing Your Life, Found Found Found, Asian Rut are all great bass lines.

Andy on 'Interesting Drug' is good. It reminds me of those early Smiths songs, where you have different, complimentary, and equally interesting guitar and bass lines playing off each other.

Another favourite is the monstrous fuzz bass on 'Found Found Found'. Which is slightly odd, as Bedders also provides some of the worst bass lines during 'Kill Uncle' that Morrissey has ever had - I'm particularly thinking of things like 'Harsh Truth of the Camera Eye', 'End of the Family Line' and 'Driving Your Girlfriend Home', which are all SUPER boring and basically just repetitively banging on a note on the first beat of every bar, then cycling endlessly until you fall into a coma.

Gary has an interesting bassline throughout "Crashing Bores" - if you've never listened for it before, I recommend it.

The bass is equally fantastic on Let Me Kiss You as well. Jonny Bridgewood still remains his best solo bassist, but Gary improved a lot during his second stint with the band.

the bassline to America Is Not The World is an underrated gem.

Andy on 'Interesting Drug' is good. It reminds me of those early Smiths songs, where you have different, complimentary, and equally interesting guitar and bass lines playing off each other.

Aside from Interesting Drug and November Spawned a Monster, I do think Andy's time spent in the solo camp was pretty forgettable in regards to memorable bass lines.

I really like the bass in Let the Right One Slip In. It's fun because it's really melodic and all over the place, up and down, and more prominent than in the background where it often hides.

I like it in Certain People I Know. It sounds like a stand-up bass there. It's more fun to picture the band playing that on some small smoky old timey stage rather than watching Morrissey roll around in the sand in the video.

Permission to ask a stupid question: Is that dooga dooga dooga dooga dooga part in HSIN made with a bass? If so then the break where only it plays near the end.

Permission to ask a stupid question: Is that dooga dooga dooga dooga dooga part in HSIN made with a bass? If so then the break where only it plays near the end.

I'm no Jesse Tobias CG, but I presume you're talking about the guitar riff with reverbing effects? If you listen to any solo live version you can hear the bassline pretty clearly, it's quite good too actually. Very swampy/funky.

Back
Top Bottom