Hammerstein Ballroom- Night 3 10/26/07

PapaJack

Belligerent ghoul
Just got back from the show and it was awesome. Had the time of my life tonight. I was against the barricade on Jesse's side, right in front of the speakers and everyone around me was completely into the show. Despite the questionable situation as to why Kristeen Young was no longer the opening act, I did enjoy hearing someone new. Girl in a Coma did a solid job. They had a lot of enthusiasm and energy and though I wasn't familiar with their music, I dug some of their songs. They were definitely happy to be there, which is a nice change from KY's onstage persona.
The Imperfect List was dropped in favor of Klaus Nomi...which was definitely a blast from the past and gave the show a different feel right from the start. Moz came on and seemed to be in great spirits...he was talkative and joking around throughout the night and you could tell he and the boys were enjoying themselves.
The setlist was similar to the past nights, though he broke out Ganglord, which I was excited to see live, and Life is a Pigsty, which was amazing! Other highpoints for me were the Loop, again...for some reason whenever he performs this song he seems like the Mid 90's Moz and I f'n love it, Sister, I'm a Poet, All You Need is Me, Death of a Disco Dancer and Why Don't You Find Out for Yourself.
Security seemed ready for the invasions, or at least they thought they were ;), and the head of security asked me a few times to point out what song the band was up to on his setlist, as he was prepping the Security staff for the final song and encore. All their preparations were pretty much futile in the end though, cuz halfway through the encore, FOTGTD, people started trying to jump the barricade. Security was excessively rough with a few people. Actually, the first invader ran onto the stage during Auld Lang Syne...weaved through the 8 or so security men, hopped on stage and realized Moz was backstage changing his shirt I think. I felt s bad for this dude...he stood center stage, looked around, and got a chokehold and a cut above his eyebrow for his troubles. Still there were a lot of handshakes to invaders trying to get on stage and Moz managed to pull up one girl, who took a real nasty spill of the barricade first, onto the stage for a hug:).
All in all, it was a really enjoyable show. Can't wait til tomorrow. I WILL get on stage if it kills me tomorrow night. :D

Oh yeah, btw...I hope everyone there had as good a time as I did.
And here's some pics I took while I was there. (bear with me...it's a new camera...but I guarantee there'll be some better pics from tomorrow's show)

mozHammersteinOct26003-1.jpg

mozHammersteinOct26002.jpg

mozHammersteinOct26001.jpg

And if anyone is interested...here's a link to a video I took of Moz performing Ganglord. Be warned...the quality is not good...it was my first time using the video feature on my new camera and I was in front of the speakers and the bass f'd up the sound. But WTF...if anyone wants to check it out, here ya go:
http://s187.photobucket.com/albums/x84/esheh195/?action=view&current=mozHammersteinOct26004.flv

Moz and the band were fantastic... very fun and chatty and just oh excellent.
i love the RAMONES waiting music! :D

Another fantastic show tonight by Moz and the boys..Arrived at the venue around 5:30 to see all the same faces I've been entering with all week..Ended up on standing right behind Julia which I figured would spare me from getting trampled during a shirt toss..Kind of missed Kristeen as strange as that may sound..

Highlights - Gandlord back in the set..my absolute favorite song he has released the past few years..amazing..Pigsty/Moz's yoga pose/HSIN..Just awesome..

Lowlights - The guy next to me who was singing along to Please Please Please..thanks for runing it for me pal..take some vocal lessosn for god sake!

Awesome fight when exiting the show, blood and all..not sure what it was over...

Didn't get the best of pics tonight but here are a few..enjoy..

IMG_7652.jpg

IMG_7635.jpg

IMG_7618.jpg

IMG_7608.jpg

Lowlights - The guy next to me who was singing along to Please Please Please..thanks for runing it for me pal..take some vocal lessosn for god sake!

Awesome fight when exiting the show, blood and all..not sure what it was over...

Gosh, thank goodness I was not singing... I was on the other side of you! :) hi again!

IT WAS AWESOME!!!!
Made the Borgata look pathetic.
Moz was so on his game tonight and in a good mood!!!
I'm thinking about going back Sat and Sun.

I kept a lookout for familiar faces that I met at the Boragta.
No luck=(

Bogdana...Nugz..Dylan..were any of you guys there??

I did see alot of scary people.

monique

1ST ever morrissey show last night. one of the best rock concerts i have ever experienced. over the top. a very very good show.

morrissey, the band, and the audience were hot from the first note. i was first row, center, balcony, and i had the best experience ever. high energy firiday night nyc show. what friday night rock shows should be. a blistering sweaty melodic mess. as it should be.

I am 41 and only got into morrissey/the smiths about 5 yrs ago. but last night i got a whole knew perspective on morrissey.

highly recommended.

they were brutal in a good way. great musicians. the rhythm section was tremedous. great guitarist(s), pulling out acoustics when need be, that could always be heard. couple guys mutli-instrumentalists. i think there were trombone, clarinets/oboes, accordian, friggin awesome. I do think the drummer was MVP band member though. he was EXCELLENT. This could have been a zeppelin show or somehting. these guys rocked. and the audience luved it. yet, through-out it all, morrissey's great poetry, voice, and melody somehow always remained center focus.

morrissey was sounding wonderful, going from a deep kind of voice and then hitting hi-notes. Alittle operatic in such a good way. also he was into his bands swing like everyone else. he could have just gone along for the ride, but he was out there giving each song it own wonderful sincerity & unique vibe. considerin how energetic & loud the band palyed, you still picked up on alot of morrissey's nuanced singing style.

he really gave his heart last night, at least i think so.

his voice was like another instrument. last night morrissy was the foreman and his band the wrecking crew. I luved it when he said "are you tough enough," " or "are you ready?"(cant remember the exact words) and we were yelling right back, "yeah!!" it was rowdy but not towards each other. To me it seems like everyone simply wanted to release there own energy at morrissey and the band (and dare i say, release them at life's frustrations & realities :)) but in a celebratory manner. More like, "thanks gents for giving us the chance to have a great sweaty time, singing & dancing!" (although i heard in this thread a fight broke out, but i didnt witness it. too bad for that. i hope no one was seriously hurt.)

My friend was in shock at what he was witnessing. I told him, this is not like the bootlegs you have heard of him in the past. I told him, these guys are going to peel the paint back, but the sound quality remained excellent throughout. the 1st 4-5 songs were relentless in their energy...and yet the energy NEVER let up.

we had hit a great nyc irsh pub before hand but morrissey & his merry band slapped us sober. they came out like a pile driver. and we were happy and glad for it.

really really extraordinary performance & experience.

Last edited:
this is the sort of newbie we need more on morrissey-solo, enthusiastic, articulate, with something to tell us .... and not looking for a chance to insult someone. :)

thanks "newbie", great report!

this is the sort of newbie we need more on morrissey-solo, enthusiastic, articulate, with something to tell us .... and not looking for a chance to insult someone. :)

thanks "newbie", great report!

thanks for the welcome Danny! my pleasure providing the eye witness account, although you are too kind on the quality of my writing. its rushed and awkward in parts. remembering the experience & good time came out faster than i could write.

but dang, it was a very great hot show! i hope morrissey & the boyz close the run on a good note.

insulting people from behind the safety of our computer monitor is just an easy and fun thing to do however, don't know it til you have tried it ;)

PS forgot to mention but this show should be called the "Bowery Boys Show."

Morrissey introduced his band under that name, and got a great big round of applause. Between that comment and the recognition to past great local music performers, the man certainly knows his history.

The show and the performer were/are one for the ages. he had the place in the palm of his hand. very endearing performer.

cheers

:D Ahh.....my first Morrissey show too....and I absolutely loved it. I was there with 4 friends and we all had a blast. Got into the city around 5:00 and went to the Blarney Stone for some eats and some brewski's. Got the the Hammerstein around 8PM....had a few more brewski's and hit the floor. We were on the right side looking at the stage...I would guess 20-30 feet back. I was wearing my green Smiths "Queen is Dead" t-shirt. I loved every minute of the show...it seems like it went by in 30 minutes. My favorites were definately "Death of a Disco Dancer", Life is a Pigsty (Solomon Walker's bass was fantastic), then blasting right into a rocking "How Soon Is Now?", Sister I'm a Poet, and Jack The Ripper. I like the new songs and really enjoyed hearing "Stretch Out And Wait" live. My one buddy wants to go back tomorrow night!!! I am sure the folks there tonight getting out had a good time. I cannot wait to go again to a Moz show. I bought one of the Ringerleaders concert shirts afterwards. I thought the band was great. Morrissey sounded great!!! If anyone has not seen these guys perform I cannot recommend the show enough. Viva Moz!!!!!

Last edited:
Congratulations on the 1st show too! what a riot!

my friend and I went to Tir Na Nog. pints of guinness and shots of bushmills & southern comfort. we were lit....but morrissey and his bowery boys cut right thru it. They were brilliant! It was like a rock opera meets oldtime union hall rally meets city revival meeting meets bare-fisted 1920s boxing match! the energy kept up for the whole show.

from what i heard, tonight is rockin too. soemone got a link to a youtube vid already. but last night was a classic street brawl of a show. i heard morrissey likes professional boxing and last night he and the band performed like they were at one. just a fantastic time and show. cant say enough. i was expecting some kind of jangly guitar outing but with great lyrics, but thought maybe i may get tired and just chill for the 2nd half. NOT LAST NIGHT. brutal and primal combined with melody.

i agreed about Death of a Disco Dancer and Life is a Pigsty. That stand up bass was cool and sounded great. I have to admit i like everything even those tunes i didnt know. about 1/2, i heard for the 1st time., and yet morrissey made them so welcoming in the midst of all the energy and intensity of the show.

primal morrissey. everyone got to unwind. blow off somesteam...literally.

good stuff.

cheers to your next show! i hope morrissey & the band go out in a blaze of glory....have a drink on me! :)

:D Ahh.....my first Morrissey show too....and I absolutely loved it. I was there with 4 friends and we all had a blast. Got into the city around 5:00 and went to the Blarney Stone for some eats and some brewski's. Got the the Hammerstein around 8PM....had a few more brewski's and hit the floor. We were on the right side looking at the stage...I would guess 20-30 feet back. I was wearing my green Smiths "Queen is Dead" t-shirt. I loved every minute of the show...it seems like it went by in 30 minutes. My favorites were definately "Death of a Disco Dancer", Life is a Pigsty (Solomon Walker's bass was fantastic), then blasting right into a rocking "How Soon Is Now?", Sister I'm a Poet, and Jack The Ripper. I like the new songs and really enjoyed hearing "Stretch Out And Wait" live. My one buddy wants to back tomorrow night!!! I am sure the folks there tonight getting out had a good time. I cannot wait to go again to a Moz show. I bought one of the Ringerleaders concert shirts afterwards. I thought the band was great. Morrissey sounded great!!! If anyone has not seen these guys perform I cannot recommend the show enough. Viva Moz!!!!!

Congratulations to another first timer! that makes 3! i wonder how many newbies were there on friday? It was such a party with the best band and singer anywhere. we were so spoiled. that was my best 1st time show of a performer ever! the crowd was very into it, and i think we saw the best show on the run.

i feel for you being not able to see anything. My friend and I were first row, balcony, center, and had a blast. the seats were taped off but no one was really sitting there, just a couple. we asked the couple if they would mind us jumping in and they said no problem.

if we didnt do that we would have been stuck behind a column with a big ol speaker in our faces, that blocked everything and would have left us deaf.

I bet you had great sound though. ....and got to hear morrissey better then any of us up near the top. the way he does all that stuff with his voice, hitting different ranges of sounds, from the opera-like stuff and to the lower range, and even grunt like stuff. It all adds great personal touches to the singing & makes each song unique. if that makes any sense.

for me it was one of the best shows ever, but I was kind of glad not being on the floor. It seemed pretty tight down there. The balcony allowed alot of room to play. :)

cheers

I was there too. First Moz show =]. I was like 3rd-ish row. Red hair. Too short to see anything...

Back
Top Bottom