Has Morrissey coming out a racist resulted in more fans?

A

Anonymous

Do you think Morrissey has gained more new fans than the amount of old fans lost since coming out as
racist?

Do you think Morrissey has gained more new fans than the amount of old fans lost since coming out as
racist?
In the UK, definitely not. His last tour before explicitly endorsing the far-right played to venues totalling a bit more than 100,000 spectators. Since then, he's cancelled a mini tour due to poor ticket sales (very poor, according to rumour), and it looks likely that's going to be repeated with the two dates currently advertised. Those only total 20,000 tickets, so it looks like his audience has largely disappeared.

The reason he can't just replace old fans with new is that core support for the far-right in the UK is tiny. There is undoubtedly a larger group of people who have conservative/arguably racist views and might sympathise with certain things Morrissey has said, but for whom far-right is still not a good look. The For Britain thing is going to be a selling point to hardly anyone.

Can't speak for how things are in the US, but he appears to have lost fewer fans over there.

In the UK, definitely not. His last tour before explicitly endorsing the far-right played to venues totalling a bit more than 100,000 spectators. Since then, he's cancelled a mini tour due to poor ticket sales (very poor, according to rumour), and it looks likely that's going to be repeated with the two dates currently advertised. Those only total 20,000 tickets, so it looks like his audience has largely disappeared.

The reason he can't just replace old fans with new is that core support for the far-right in the UK is tiny. There is undoubtedly a larger group of people who have conservative/arguably racist views and might sympathise with certain things Morrissey has said, but for whom far-right is still not a good look. The For Britain thing is going to be a selling point to hardly anyone.

Can't speak for how things are in the US, but he appears to have lost fewer fans over there.

f*** the UK tho. They made Doctor Who a woman. Bastards.

Are you seriously calling Moz far-right?

Skinny get a job FFS:censored:

dont end up like Smellvis Snagglepuss and OrdinaryDrunk:censored:

LOL Ask any psychologist and they will tell you the following, men who are homophobic are closet homosexuals and those who keep raging Racist at every opportunity are closet racists, be them black or white. Right ;)

Where's your evidence the mini-tour was cancelled due to poor tickets and if this was the case where's your evidence it was because he did things like wear 'that' pin? You will be proved wrong in time.

Correct me if I am wrong. Time flies. Didn't he say several times directly in 2018 "Please support For Britain"? Didn't he wear a "For Britain" badge on US-TV and in concert? Opinions concerning this party may me interpreted differently, but as far as I know, they can be compared with the AfD here in Germany. A german artist, now located in Swizerland f.e., who would begg for an AfD support would never fill major arenas again. We have one artist who played at an AfD near festival in East Germany (by chance as he said) and his name is still burned.

Morrissey's UK concerts haven't sold out yet in the UK. And I ask frank & open: Why?

Not racist in the least. I thought we'd established this?
"[I call] for every shade and persuasion … we shall always be alongside each other - everyone's culture of value."
- Morrissey, May 2019

Moz might have lost a few semi-fans, but as for Wembley and Leeds not selling out, you have to consider that he has done no promotion in the UK for these gigs. He played four packed gigs in London last time round, but he had a new album out before the gigs, and he also had an exclusive live show on the BBC from Maida Vale and also appeared on the BBC's Jools Holland music show.

This time round he has done no promotion to sell tickets, relying on advertising only. This makes it more likely that only hardcore fans will have so far bought tickets rather than the majority of people who attend gigs: spectators who are not specifically devoted fans rather than simply 'likers'.

Correct me if I am wrong. Time flies. Didn't he say several times directly in 2018 "Please support For Britain"? Didn't he wear a "For Britain" badge on US-TV and in concert? Opinions concerning this party may me interpreted differently, but as far as I know, they can be compared with the AfD here in Germany. A german artist, now located in Swizerland f.e., who would begg for an AfD support would never fill major arenas again. We have one artist who played at an AfD near festival in East Germany (by chance as he said) and his name is still burned.

Morrissey's UK concerts haven't sold out yet in the UK. And I ask frank & open: Why?

No, not several times. Once. Wore the pin twice. And said he thought Anne Marie would unite the left & right & wasn't a racist.

It was before For Britain had a manifesto or any affiliation & as far as we know he's never attended their events, hasn't joined, didn't vote for them & has done no official campaigning.

Worth remembering that British politics is in such a total state that the only party currently being investigated for racism is The Labour Party.

Moz might have lost a few semi-fans, but as for Wembley and Leeds not selling out, you have to consider that he has done no promotion in the UK for these gigs. He played four packed gigs in London last time round, but he had a new album out before the gigs, and he also had an exclusive live show on the BBC from Maida Vale and also appeared on the BBC's Jools Holland music show.

This time round he has done no promotion to sell tickets, relying on advertising only. This makes it more likely that only hardcore fans will have so far bought tickets rather than the majority of people who attend gigs: spectators who are not specifically devoted fans rather than simply 'likers'.
Stick to the script, Pippi. At this stage, you're still supposed to be insisting everything's fine, you are confident these dates will sell out and you expect more to be added. Tying your head in knots trying to think of explanations other than the bleedin' obvs is for two weeks' time, at least.

Do you think there will be trouble at the gigs with his new far right fans?

Morrissey has become something of a folk hero in right-wing internet circles. Whether or not these people qualify as “fans” is debatable but it is now cool for right-wingers to say they like Morrissey in a way that was not 10 years ago.

He’s definitely gained some fans. Whether the new fans outnumber the fans he’s lost, I don’t know.

Re: the Wembly show.
London and Leeds are significantly less white than they were a generation ago and that is not going to help in regards to ticket sales. Smaller percentage of his natural fan base and larger percentage of people who a) were not in Britain during Moz’s heyday and b) most likely to be offended by his positions.

Back
Top Bottom